1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Recite Psalm 22?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by richard n koustas, Feb 11, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

As you may know, Psalm 22 is known as the crucifixion psalm. Many prophecies in Psalm 22 were fulfilled at the cross.

There a are seven recorded sayings of Jesus as he hung on the cross -- Three of which may be a direct reference to (or quote from) Psalm 22.

Matthew 27:47 (Psalm 22:1)
    John 19: 27 (Psalm 22:14-5)
    John 19: 30 (Psalm 22: 31),

We all know that not all of Jesus's words are directly quoted in the gospels; but with three of the seven sayings directly from this psalm...I have heard it suggested that Jesus recited this psalm (in total) as he hung on the cross. Thots?

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

In Treasury of David, Spurgeon says this:

SUBJECT. This is beyond all others THE PSALM OF THE CROSS. It may have been actually repeated word by word by our Lord when hanging on the tree; it would be too bold to say that it was so, but even a casual reader may see that it might have been. It begins with, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" and ends, according to some, in the original with "It is finished." For plaintive expressions uprising from unutterable depths of woe we may say of this psalm, "there is none like it." It is the photograph of our Lord’s saddest hours, the record of his dying words, the lachrymatory of his last tears, the memorial of his expiring joys. David and his afflictions may be here in a very modified sense, but, as the star is concealed by the light of the sun, he who sees Jesus will probably neither see nor care to see David. Before us we have a description both of the darkness and of the glory of the cross, the sufferings of Christ and the glory which shall follow. Oh for grace to draw near and see this great sight! We should read reverently, putting off our shoes from off our feet, as Moses did at the burning bush, for if there be holy ground anywhere in Scripture it is in this psalm.

Personally, I do not think Jesus quoted the whole Psalm. An argument from silence is just that, an argument for silence. It may be interesting speculation, but it cannot be made with any force. Certainly we know that Jesus uttered words and did deeds which are not recorded (John 21:25), but no substantial arguement can be made from the silence of Scripture IMHO.

Ray

Please pray for my son. About to go to surgery even now. (See under prayer requests)