1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Suffer the Wrath of God At Calvary then?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

So I am a sinner and being a sinner I needed a Savior, because according to scripture the wrath of God abideth on me... Since Jesus Christ stood where I could not, he took the wrath of God intended for me on Calvary... No doubt about it... Biblical!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The righteous will never suffer God's wrath. This is an assurance upon which we, who are called by His name, can rest. What ever we are going through it is not God's wrath, and the proof is the Cross.

To answer your question, it is not only unbiblical but it is anti-biblical as it denies substantial truths of Scripture and mocks God's revealed character.

Just my 2 cents. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Jon here's a penny... Brother Glen:Wink

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The righteous will indeed never suffer God's wrath because the Lord Jesus had our iniquity placed upon Him. He was personally innocent but judicially guilty.

He is the surety or guarantor of the New Covenant (Hebrews 7:22). Some readers may have become sureties for their children's mortgages. If those children default on their debt, the bank will come looking for you. It will not matter if you have lived a life of absolute financial probity hitherto, you would be liable for that debt as if you had incurred it yourself, and you might be made bankrupt and/or lose your own house over it despite never having owed a penny to anyone all your life. The bank will be absolutely just in taking whatever action it deems necessary to get the debt paid.

That is why the Bible counsels humans not to become sureties (Proverbs 6:1-5). But the Lord Jesus voluntarily became surety for our sins and paid to the last farthing the debt of wrath (c.f,. Romans 2:5) which we owe on account of our sins.

But please note that God's wrath was not upon the Lord Jesus, but upon sin, which He bore on our behalf (1 Peter 2:24).

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wages of sin is death, and Christ became flesh and suffered this consequence for us that we were purchased with such a great price. We can probably agree on that.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Break open your piggy bank....there's more where that came from :Laugh

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Jon they do say a penny saved, is a penny earned... And with your 2 cents, you earned a penny... From my piggy to your piggy... Brother Glen:Laugh

• Like Like x 1