1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did John write what are now John 21:24-25?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, May 31, 2020.

?

Did John write what is now John 21:24-25?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2020.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not possible to know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did John write what are the last two verses of his gospel account? I do not have a problem if he did. But some interpreters think the recipiants of his account added those last words to his gospel account.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John wrote his gospel late in his life, so he would have been aware of a misunderstanding of the words of Jesus concerning whether he would die and gave a correction.

“This is the disciple...” seems self identifying and the “we” was probably a communal “we” and then a third person reference to authenticate the accuracy of the story as an eye witness.... a humble way of saying, “I was there, I know what I saw and heard, you can trust me to tell the truth”

It is possible that John, like Paul, used a secretary to write his words and the “we” and what follows was a brief confirmation of his/her conviction of the truthfulness of John’s words. Unlikely, I think, since the person is not named and no authority would attach to an unnamed person.

imo

peace to you

#2 canadyjd, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While some commentators question these verses, they were not put in brackets, indicating the judgment that John himself authored verse 24 and 25 of chapter 21. On the other hand we know that the gospels do not record all the thoughts, words, and actions of Jesus during His time on earth.

"We know that his testimony is true," simply means that himself (John) and those working with John, knew John was totally committed to the truth. To try to switch authors on so flimsy a reed is unsound. And to deny John used "hyperbole" to illustrate Jesus did more than what is recorded, once again is too flimsy a reed to attack the inspired words of the Beloved Apostle.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 21:24 (KJV) This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.
    25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

I am certain that the earth itself could not contain the books about everything which Jesus did. cmg

• Like Like x 1
  5. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    22 Yeshua said to him, “If I want him to stay on until I come, what is it to you? You, follow me!”
    23 Therefore the word spread among the brothers that that talmid would not die. However, Yeshua didn’t say he wouldn’t die, but simply, “If I want him to stay on until I come, what is it to you?”
    24 This one is the talmid who is testifying about these things and who has recorded them.
    And we know that his testimony is true.
    25 But there are also many other things Yeshua did; and if they were all to be recorded, I don’t think the whole world could contain the books that would have to be written!

Yes, John wrote these verses.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I presume the "we", who know that John's testimony is true, to be John himself and those disciples and others who were eyewitnesses to what John described and could thus testify to the accuracy of what John wrote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many falsehoods begin with the phrase, "But some interpreters think ..." :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1