1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did the new Covenant Continue the Old One, or Replace it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    mactx

Hello Mactx,
    No...I do not 'kid' about God's word. Hebrews 3and 4 do speak about life and death and entering His eternal rest...Yes agreed. However it also speaks about God's holy day using a different word here.....right in the context...here is a good article and teachimg on it;enjoy:thumbsup:
    http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/sabbath-rest/

hopefully you can begin to see it differently now...

28 And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,

This is after the cross....

remember...one day in 7 rest is a creation ordinance[before being put onstone in Ex20].....the ten commandments ..all ten are still in effect for all men everywhere.

#21 Iconoclast, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  2. mactx

mactx New Member

No I do not think differently on this.
    Here is one reason why
    Mary went to the tomb the dawn of the first day. The day of resurrection which is what we celebrate under the NEW covenant.

Accordingly if the old covenant was still in effect, Christians would be under all Jewish laws. Such as circumcision. We learn these things are no longer in effect.
    You see this deals more directly with the op, of which the sabbath is 1 small part.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, as we are commanded in hebrews to rest from our labors in Christ, to have our rest in him, rest from needing to keep the law in order to obtain relationship with god! resting in his finished work that took care of what I could never do by trying to keep the law!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul disagrees with you
    having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
    Col 2:14

we are under a new covenant, so all was fulfilled in the person and work of jesus, so we are NOT under a sabbath regulation as in OT times!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's covenant is eternal. The law was "added" 400 years later, and was a temporary governor until the fulfillment of the promise.

Concerning the sabbath: Under the law, work forbidden on the sabbath day outside the tabernacle was commanded to be done inside (the priests profane the sabbath and are guiltless). The temple is now made up of Christ and His circle of disciples.

Not one day, but all days, we are to be about the Father's business.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You did not read the article. Col.2 is speaking of the ceremonial law. You do not follow what Paul is saying.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do not confuse the ceremonial law given to Israel with the ten commandments.

In speaking of this rest (3:18; 4:1, 3–6, 8) the author consistently used the same word for “rest” (katapausis). Suddenly, in speaking about the “rest” that remains for the people of God, he uses a different word (sabbatismos, used only here in the NT) meaning specifically a Sabbath rest. In the context of his teaching, this refers fundamentally to the “Sabbath rest” which is found in Christ (“Come … I will give you rest,” Matt. 11:28–30). Thus we are to “strive to enter that rest” (4:11).

#27 Iconoclast, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The creation ordinance was before the law.One day in seven remains.read the linked article about the word used.
    in heb4:9 there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God,
    This is after the cross.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Icono, an honest question for you: Do you park your rig on sunday?

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

We don't keep the Sabbath, the Sabbath keeps us. Jesus is our Sabbath/Rest, as we rest in Him, we who are saved.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    chrsit said that he is Lord over the sabbath, that it was amde for man, and now under new Covenant, we have that promise of a rest aprt from works to be right with god, that our sabbath rest is now found in finished work of christ every day!

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ten commandments are before the old or new covenant.The keeping of 1 day in seven was never a "work" to be right with God. It was not designed for that.

Under Moses, the people of God were disobedient and failed to enter into God’s rest (3:18). Psalm 95:11 (quoted in Hebrews 4:3) implies that Joshua could not have given the people “real rest” since “through David” God speaks about the rest he will give on another day (Heb. 4:7). This in turn implies that “There remains a sabbath rest for the people of God” (Heb. 4:9).

In speaking of this rest (3:18; 4:1, 3–6, 8) the author consistently used the same word for “rest” (katapausis). Suddenly, in speaking about the “rest” that remains for the people of God, he uses a different word (sabbatismos, used only here in the NT) meaning specifically a Sabbath rest.

There are two RESTS spoken of here.....one remains ...one we still seek to enter in

In the context of his teaching, this refers fundamentally to the “Sabbath rest” which is found in Christ (“Come … I will give you rest,” Matt. 11:28–30). Thus we are to “strive to enter that rest” (4:11)

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, would you be so kind to answer this question for me? Thanks in advance.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis,
    I park it as often as I can. My hours of service are regulated by D.O.T.

I have come off the road 3 times and worked for less pay, in order to be with My Local church on the Lord's Day.
    Those local jobs moved out of state, or closed. The only work available to me was the road work. I am not an owner operator, so as a Company driver of necessity there are times I drive on the Lord's Day....

8._____ The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.
    ( Isaiah 58:13; Nehemiah 13:15-22; Matthew 12:1-13 )

On those days in which I must drive.....I try and position myself where i can attend services at some bible believing church......but this is not easy as many have fallen away from truth...woman pastors, entertainment, or legalism. I have over time found some along the interstate that i seek to attend when they are in range...

On those days where of necessity I do drive....I listen to10-15 sermons as i travel. This does not...replace meeting with the local church...but I try in a positive way...to keep the day unto the Lord, until my living and job situation changes where i can again be full time ,ministering in and with the brothers in a local church. It is for this very reason I am in the process of relocating.....to the south land:laugh:
    y'all....but it will be awhile unless God providentially moves quickly....

My oldest Son is a police officer.....he sometimes is scheduled to work on the Lord's day...as criminals do not seem to honor the day...and need to be apprehended.
    My second Son is a correction officer...like CO.....Hos....he also does not have enough senority to shift away from Sunday shifts.

Both of them desire to keep the day, but they serve in that way and try to be a minister of God for the punishment of evildoers....on those days where they are working.

Now Willis....perhaps you would be so kind as to respond to the posted article, by Sinclair Ferguson and address the issues he raises.

#34 Iconoclast, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013