1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did the Toronto stuff already happen earlier in history?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 23, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have heard that similar phenomena which happen in Toronto already happened among the methodists but John Wesley rejected these phenomena. Can anybody here verify this? Because if this is really true then maybe this stuff is from God and God wanted to start it much earlier but it wasn't accepted by the christians back then. :confused:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Wasn't Azusa Street Church an AME group?

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Rest assured that satan will do whatever he can to disrupt worship, praise, honoring Christ, praying, and so on. "Holy" laughter is anything but holy.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But this is exactly where I have my problems.
    What do you do if such things happen in a church but at the same time also other things happen which could be from God? Can there be a mixture of God's work and Satan's work?
    Or what do you do if you know a christian who experiences such stuff and claims that it's from God? Does this mean that the person is deceived? But let's say a christian is deceived and experiences such stuff and it's not from God but he thinks it is then could God still be using such a person?
    All these things don't make sense. If this stuff isn't from God then why do these christians not realize it or why doesn't God tell them that it's not from him?

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

The short answer is "Scripture."

I think all sorts of things, Godly and not, can go on in a church service. People can mistake an emotional upheaval for God, or discount a move of God as emotional tomfoolery.

I think -- and this is just my own thoughts, not a hard and fast rule -- that if it didn't happen in the New Tesgtament, it's to be looked at skeptically.

7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

The Asuza group were Wesleyan holiness folks.

As far as the so-called Toronto "blessing" , yes, over history, there have been several fringe groups claiming to have special blessing or extrabiblical revelation from God. The Mormons come to mind, as well as the Seventh Day Adventists, and Oneness Pentecostals. The biggest surge in such claims were all during the 19th century, and the fallout from that is commonplace today.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin