1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did they really have a need

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 28, 2010.

?
  1. I would give them $100 for groceries without looking at their budget

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I would take them for groceries, but pay the bill myself

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. My Mrs would sit with the Mrs and help her cut out coupons

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. I would find $1000 to pay off all their bills and let them start from scratch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I would pay off a couple of small bills for them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I would encourage them to drop some of the extras

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  7. They would have to drop cable/phone/internet and get a cheap cell phone

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. I would demand they drop most of the extras

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  9. I would throw up my hands and just walk out

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  10. Other answer (please specify)

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks:Wow, I didn't realize this would generate so much discussion!
    Well, first they both claim salvation in Christ, he was a member of our church (didn't know about the playb0y at first) She would not join, because we did not believe in women preachers. She did attend semi regularly.

What really started this was that they were required to have a payee (i think that was the term) since they had some many financial setbacks. I was willing to take on that role - provided that certain conditions were met - as some of you described previously. Well, when Joe heard my conditions - he found another payee rather quickly. A payee would control the checkbook - ie write all the checks - all $$ was direct deposit from govt.
    Whats that saying - you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink

Salty
    aka the saltman

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

What Matt said in spades.

Honestly, we try to be discerning and generous at the same time.

Which often means sitting around thinking up some way someone can "earn" what we want to give them so they learn to do for themselves.

We garden and grow extra--but don't expect us to pick and deliver. (We do, just not if you expect it and are able to help us out a bit.)

I've loaned out the use of my clothesline so a mom could save the cost of laundramat dryers and use the money to feed her family. Even provided the transportation for her and her laundry to make it easier on her. Had she refused, I wouldn't have felt like helping her in other ways.

We have to balance things. Jesus did say to give to those who ask of you, but He did not say give regardless the consequences. If you help someone sin, you are not helping.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I cannot speak for this couple, and I am not one usually generous with money, so don't come looking here.

BUT, if I am laid on by the Lord to help in some way, I will ask a few questions because I rarely go completely blind into things. Especially with Cash. I will do as I can with In Kind stuff, too.

Someone came to know the Lord recently as a result. Testimony here.....