1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you attend a Christmas eve service?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 25, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Just wondering.

2. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

No, our Church doesn't have Christmas Eve services. But when I was Catholic I used to go to Christmas Eve Mass at Midnight. Midnight Mass.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we had a very nice service on Christmas Eve and then another very nice service today, Christmas day. This was followed by a pot-luck lunch.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Participated in two of them .... told the Bible story and lit the Advent Candles and then the Christ Candle at a service for children.

Then preached on "Light the Candle: Jesus Has Come" and celebrated Communion at a later service, with lots of music.

Good occasions both.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - attended and worked at both the 4 and 7 PM services. :)

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We did not have service, we instead assisted a Lutheran Church who gave out toys and food boxes. There were still many people left in line when we ran out of everything which was kind of awkward. I was offended when one of the people leaving said, "all we got was prayer".

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were over at my in-laws' house to spend time with family. We celebrated with my side of the family today.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we had a Christmas eve service. There were only 10 of us in attendance, but we were all blessed and it was very nice.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The church I attend had two services. I showed up before the first one was over and helped to clean up after the second.

10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

No. We don't have Christmas Eve services in name here.

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Contrary to the notion that hardly anybody has a job to do during the evening hours of 12/24/whatever, yours truly was AT WORK during that time period.

Part of my job description is to monitor the E911 trunking circuits for the 9 states that comprise the AT&T Southeast (formerly known as BellSouth) Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC).

Things got a little interesting because on 12/23/08 some ["highly descriptive adjectives" deleted! :smilewinkgrin: ] backhoe operator -- who apparently couldn't read the language in which both our Declaration of Indpendence and Constitution were originally written (which could mean that said individual was either a public school graduate or one who's not doing too well in his/her ESL studies {or BOTH, perhaps?!!?}) -- decided that it was in the best interests of all parties concerned to dig up a major fiber optic ring cable, thus taking down the equvalent of 4 OC196-level fiber optic cables.

The outcome of said backhoe operator's thoughtful actions resulted in my workgroup's having to re-route several E911 PSAPs in at least 5 states. (The remaining affected fiber optic circuits were able to be switched to be switched to their respective "Protect" sides.)

Another part of my job description involves having to perform emergency call traces for the same 9 SE states, which tend to be interesting during this time of the year (e.g., calls being placed to the suicide crises centers "'cause Mama didn't buy me that there high-tech toy fur my about-to-be-repossessed SUV" ["Mama" being out-of-work for months & {40-YO} "Sonny" never having been laid off from his job 'cause he ain't never had no job in the first place!])....Welcome to the land of "tough-lovin'" Mama's! :thumbs:

Another part of my job description involves maintaining the operational status SS7 "Out-Of-Band" signalling links that are used to set up and release both voice calls [e.g., Your phone calls to Grandma to extend holiday greetings] and data transfer circuits [e.g., Your postings to BB if you live in any of the 9 southeastern states.].

So, no, I didn't go to any services on the evening of 12/24/08. :tear:

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

No one that I know of around here has one.

13. billreber

billreber New Member

My church cancelled Christmas Eve services because of the severe snowfall here. (46.2 inches. Most December snow since records were kept, with 6 days to go, and snow forecast for 5 of those days!) So, instead of driving 18 miles to church there, I went with some family and friends to a Community Church just 1 mile away. Their pastor is SBC-trained, and we have built good relationships with him over the years. VERRY good service, and plenty of Christian fellowship as well.

Bill ( :jesus: is the Reason for the Season!)

14. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

No, I don't really like late night services, and besides I would have had to negotiate a town centre full of drunks. I went the next day though. :smilewinkgrin:

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Our services were at 5 and 6:15 p.m.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So YOU are the one.....(laughing)

Debbie Mc
    911 in Colorado

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's wonderful that you were able to fellowship closer to home. When true believers get together, it's a beautiful time - despite those small differences that can separate us. I'm so glad you were able to have a blessed Christmas Eve. It must have been beautiful with the snow!

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

well...kind of. I hosted a come and go communion and prayer time where folks can come in during a certain time period for the Lord's Supper and then i prayed for them and their families.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We had three services on Christmas Eve -- 5pm, 7pm and 9pm. The 5pm service is a bit more family-friendly and less formal --- no orchestra or choir. The special music was by the children's choir and the music was led by my daughter. Obviously, that's the one we attended (though I did miss the orchestra).

20. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am so sorry to hear that you had to work on a holiday. It upset you so much that you made a very negative attack on anyone who ever attended public school.

I have worked with people like that, we always gave them a small job with a real big job discription and made them feel important so they would leave us alone and we could work.
    They also worried that their children could not hack it is public school but we would tell them everything would be alright AT&T would hire them.