1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you get a book for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If so, what book did you get?

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I did! I got Nate Burkus' "The Things That Matter". It's not a book I asked for, it was a gift from my SIL, but it looks interesting.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't think I get very many books I ask for. I got a book, "The book of Useless Information." Of course, from my brother in law. What's new.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We received a "Save Around CNY" coupon book, however what I asked for was "Baptist Board for Dummies" and Santa did not bring it!!!:tear:

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter (who dabbles with genealogies) had a nice little book made up of our family tree which goes back to my great, great, great, great, great grandfather (b. 1753) on Dad's side who came to NC from Scotland. The Irish on Mom's side can be traced only as far back as my great, great grandfather (b. 1841).

Wife got me 'The Ultimate Guide To Homesteading, An Encyclopedia To Independent Living', very informative and well illustrated-excellent, and, 'A Guide To Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game'. (Didn't ask for them, I canned a lot of meat (on sale) and stuff from the garden this summer, guess she figgered I'd be interested, and I am, bless her heart.... :) )

#5 kyredneck, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any coal miners?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've no doubt there were, for instance my great uncle in Perry Co. died of black lung. There were mostly loggers I think, some farmers, and moonshining was involved also, for sure.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My freak b-i-l also gifted me with a book titled "How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you."

9. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I got the HCSB Life Essentials study bible by Holman and Dr. Gene Getz. It has over 1500 life essentials with study notes. But is also has QR (quick response) codes for each essential. I scan it with my smart phone and Dr. Getz gives additional commentary (youtube) on the essential. I think over 250 hours of commentary total. Unique bible.

10. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I got Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible, Augustine Confessions and Westminster Reference Bible as christmas gifts.

11. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Didn't necessarily receive it, but I borrowed and read Erasing Hell by Francis Chan. It was a good read, and a breath of fresh air after Love Wins by Robert Bell.