1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you go to a Baptist College?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 15, 2013.

?
  1. I did not go to college at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I did not go to a Baptist College/university.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I did not go to a Baptist Seminary.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attended a SBC school.

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. I attended an IFB school

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. I attended another Baptist type of school.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. I attended a religious school, but not a Baptist School.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Other answer.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Share with us your college experience.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to choose other as my school isn't a BBC Springfield or Hyles-Anderson clone.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1974, I attended a Piedmont Bible College Extension class in Richmond, Va; for about 8 weeks, and then I received military orders for Germany.

Seems I took two classes every Monday night. One class was "Studies in Romans" The pamphlet was prepared by John H. Reinhert. I don't remember the instructors name, but he was also on the faculty at a secular school in Richmond.

And yes, I still have the 41 page booklet.

That was the extent of my formal Bible School training. The rest just came by OJT.
    I also have one semester of Business College from Cental Texas College. Started that when I was in Germany ('75).

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended a secular college for my bacalaureat degree, and a post graduate professional degree.

I attended a Baptist Seminary for my ministry degrees.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started Bible college in an independ. Bible school outside of Denver but transferred to Denver Baptist Bible College now defunct and merged with the Ankeny IA school. I later took a ThB. at Western Baptist Bible College - changed its name to Western Baptist College - changed its name to Western College - changed its name to Western - changed its name to Corban university :)

Both were related to General Assoc. of Regular Baptists though Western moved into Conservative Baptist Association by association and now kind of independent.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I graduated from Union University, Jackson, Tennessee, in 1961 (Took me 5 1/2 years because I worked full-time. It was a great experience. Union was academically demanding and still is.

Union is Southern Baptist, but is actually operated by the Tennessee Baptist Convention.

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Cedarville Undergrad....Then SBTS for Seminary.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can always tell SBTS....it stands out.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Especially when you use all caps!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but then you are all quirky to some degree or another. When are any of you going to make the trip to NJ?:wavey:

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

All human beings are quirky...how does attending SBTS make me more so than you. BTW, I've been to NJ twice, but not recently.

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife went to Union in 1973 for a year an a half for their nursing program. She found out she wasn't cut out to be a nurse, so later she graduated from Midwestern Baptist College in Pontiac, MI, with a Bible degree.

Oddly enough, she was at Union when I was at Tennessee Temple in Chattanooga, but we met years later in SC!

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU for 2 years, 1970-1972.

Tennessee Temple, 1972-1976, graduating with a BA in Bible.

Temple Baptist Seminary, fall of 1976 and fall of 1986 (first furlough).

Had a wonderful experience at Temple, loving my teachers and enjoying the studies. I'm still friends with several, including Dr. Steve Euler (homeletics and seminary Greek) who is a supporting pastor, and Hebrew scholar James Price. Another of my favorite teachers was Dr. Dennis Wisdom for hermeneutics! Great name for a teacher.

Finally graduated with an MA in Biblical Studies from Maranatha Baptist Graduate School in 2005 at the same time as my son. He got all the awards (Biblical Languages Award, magna cum laude, etc.), but John comes before Paul in the alphabet, so I got the sheepskin first! :thumbs:

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

TBC in JAX

I attended about 2 semesters at Trinity Baptist College in Jacksonville from 1981-1982 but withdrew when we moved to southwestern Virginia in 82. That was a very unstable time in my life spiritually and otherwise. I may never know exactly all of the "why" and "what" of those years. It wasn't bad but.......the Lord knows.
    I did learn some things during my time at TBC that I am now deeply thankful for. I'm just glad I'm saved. Funny thing is...I'm from the Greenville SC area...was led to Christ by the Dean of Students at BJU....and although it was suggested to me several times...I never felt led to go to THAT school....even though I do love and respect the place and many of the people there. Go figure.

Bro.Greg

15. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received my B.A. in History from Samford University in Birmingham, AL 1987.

Received my M. Div. from Beeson School of Divinity at Samford in 1993.
    I started as a Youth - Music guy in 1986, two months before get married!

My wife went to Itawamba Jr.College in Fulton, MS in Music and (after meeting me) attended Samford and graduated with her B.S. in Early Childhood Education.

16. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In undergrad I went to a number of different schools.

1) State School
    2) Unaccredited Non-Denominational School
    3) State School
    4) Non-Denominational School with COC Background
    5) Liberty University

I finally graduated from that Non-Denominational School with COC Background.

For graduate I'll be attending SWBTS for my MDiv.

17. PreacherTeacher

PreacherTeacher New Member

I graduated from Baylor University with a B.S. in Education. I then attended SWBTS, and graduated from Luther Rice Seminary with a Master of Divinity. Now, I am beginning my Doctor of Ministry degree at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in July.

#17 PreacherTeacher, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  18. reverist

reverist Member

Hey Greg, I went to TBC in Jax for my undergrad, and finished in 2009. My pastor finished in 82--his name is Rick Adams. The school has certainly changed a lot in the last 3 or 4 years (much less going back to the 80s!), and that change is largely for the better. Without the ministry of TBC, I don't know that my parents in Oregon would have ever been saved (and myself in turn). I had great times there, but heard some interesting stories from back in the day. :) :godisgood:

19. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Union in Jackson, TN(with most of my courses completed at their off-campus center in Germantown, TN), for my graduate degree in education (MAEd, 2006).