1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dietary laws

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dawna marie, Apr 10, 2004.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

God created pigs, God gave them to Noah for food. Are you saying God created soemthing bad? That God gave bad food to Noah?
    You have no scripture that supports not eating pork. It has nothing to do with the verses you give. There is nothing about pork that is any worse for the body then any other meat God created.
    You still have not provided scripture that says pork is bad for the body and we are not to eat it.

You ahve negelected to give scripture thats ays eating pork is bad for you, or worse then any other meat God gave. Thats is a disregard for scripture prefering instead personal opinion.
    Pork in not unhealthy. Where does scripture specifically says it is unhealthy?
    TWade, do you shop at the grocery store? Is all the foods you buy organic including your meats? What about the floour your bread was made from? Do you cook from scratch with only organic food supplies?
    If you do not do all of these you are regularly putting stuff in your body that is bad for you.
    I assume you are breathing the same polluted air the rest of us are. How about the water? The goverment allows a certain amount of contaminates in your water. Stuff not good for your body. Unless you have well water, then you have contaminates from ground pollution.
    How about your medications? Ever consider all the sideffects and synthetic junk in them? Sideffects that do things to your bdy thats not good.
    So until you get all this perfect, you have nothing to say about pork without scriptural evidence to back up your claims. Which so far you have not given.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

They have determined that almost all if not all chicken in this country is contaminated with salmonella, which is why they now tell you to make sure it is well done and you are most careful about spreading contamination to the other foods and cooking areas.
    Bet TWade eats chicken. Even if it contaminated with stuff thats bad for your body. And believe me I got sick from poultry once it's bad for your body alright.

3. TWade

TWade New Member

My last post on the matter.

You've got me wondering if you've ever even opened a Bible for serious study.

As was pointed out in an earlier post, God in fact created beasts clean and unclean.

Genesis 7
    1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
    2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

And continuing a few verses along:

8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
    9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.

There are beasts, fowl, fish, and creeping things, all distictive one from another. Notice Noah is instructed to take a certain number of beasts (of which we could classify pigs among "beasts" seeing that they are not "fowl" or "fish" or "creeping thing") clean and unclean. Remember, this is before the Mosaic Law that God has classified certain beasts as clean or unclean.

So what did we learn? That before the dietary instructions given in the Law, there were beasts that were classified as unclean.

Glad you asked. Do you want to indentify these unclean beasts? Good.

Leviticus 11
    2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

Further down:

7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14
    3 Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing.
    4 These are the beasts which ye shall eat: the ox, the sheep, and the goat,

A few verses down:

7 Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you.
    8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Now in answer to your statement and question, "Pork in not unhealthy. Where does scripture specifically says it is unhealthy?", I submit that here it is in black and white. Now, if I anticipate your reply, let me answer now: Unclean is unhealthy.

Some might claim, as in earlier posts, that Peter's vision in Acts 10 has God declaring unclean beasts are now clean. This is not so. The vision was given to Peter to teach him that God is no respector of persons.

Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

There is the question of whether or not pig was ever considered to be food.

Fair thee well.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 7:15-- There is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man {Jesus} .

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to keep a certain diet for health reasons or don't want to offend or violate your immediate cultural circles and restrict whatever foods you want, fine.

But according to the Scripture in this the age of grace...

Acts 10
    9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
    11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
    12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

HankD

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

TWADE, all you have sited is law we are not under law but grace, the N.T. says if your under law(obeying law) there is no grace for you.
    So there goes your law argument.
    You have not given one single verse that says pork is bad for your health, all you ahve given is support of following the law. I don't know about you but Jesus set me free from the requirements of the law.

As I recall I asked some question you have neglected to answer. Does that mean you do not have an answer?

This kind of insult is so uncalled for, but it is just like you isn't it. Resort to personal insults when you have nothing to back up a personal opinion.

And just where might we find this question in scripture? Since you have studied so much you should be able to easily point this out.
    I wonder in all your 'serious' bible study have you ever seen this verse

Gen 9: 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

Seems God has just contradicted you.

7. TWade

TWade New Member

This is my last post concerning the matter (for real this time).

I'm not arguing for Law. I never said we are to follow it because it is Law. All Scripture is inspired and all is useful, and that includes the dietary instructions. Do you think God just decided on a whim to declare certain beasts unclean? He knows what He created and He said it is unclean. We may not have to follow the Dietary Law, but it is useful even for believers today.

I apologize. Sometimes I get salty in my replies and I really don't intend to be hurtful. I'm sorry for saying that. You wear me out. [​IMG]

I don't think so. And God wouldn't contradict Himself, in light of what was considered clean and unclean before the Mosaic Law and after. Does "all things" mean we can eat anything that moves? Or should we remember and take into consideration what is revealed elsewhere regarding meat, putting two and two together, comparing Scripture with Scripture?

As far as not being under the Law, and having the liberty to eat what you want, I concede. In light of what the Bible has shown us regarding unclean beasts, I wouldn't recommend eating them.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thank you, I appreciate it, and if I've insulted you in return I also appologize.
    Ok, instead of keep on addressing you on this I'm going to honor your desire not to post on this topic again and not say anything to make you feel as if you need too.
    See you on the next topic.

9. Audra

Audra New Member

You know, I get the feeling that if God, in the Law, had ordered the ancient Israelites to wear life preservers when they crossed rivers then modern Christians would absolutely refuse to wear life preservers so they wouldn't feel or seem to others that they were "living by the law".
    The way some simply detest God's law seems almost...childish.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Audra, what seems outlandish to me is christians who are under grace and don't know it, have no idea grace is free and can't be earned, no real understanding of the N.T.

11. Audra

Audra New Member

What does safety and health have to do with grace? What does quarantining the sick or infected have to do with grace? What does washing one's body have to do with grace? What does modifying your home to insure the safety of others have to do with grace? I guess it is good that God never commanded the ancient Israelites to brush their teeth...because we would have a lot of toothless Christians running around.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are 613 "commandments" in the Law (Torah).
    Are you prepared to keep them all?

One restricts you from wearing garments of mixed fabric.

Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Ready for a new wardrobe?

HankD

13. Audra

Audra New Member

"There are 613 "commandments" in the Law (Torah).
    Are you prepared to keep them all?"

Of course not. Why do you ask? The simple point was that some of God's Laws have pratical, real-life applications. As far as the mixing of fabrics goes, that Law, like some others, seems to have had only a ritualistic application. It has no revalance to us today, unlike personal hygiene issues. My previous posts have had nothing to do with observing the Law for justification. Once again, the point is that some of God's Laws have practical value in the area of personal hygiene. What does that have to do with obserivng the whole Law? If you handle a dead body and then decide to wash your hands afterward, are you then guilty of trying to observe the whole Law for justification??

14. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

something you should know about pork
    Trichinosis is a disease caused by the deadly trichina worm one of 19 worms found in pork. some say that the worms will be killed with sufficient cooking but it was reported from one lab test that trichinae-laden swine flesh was heated to an unbelievably high tempertures and then put under a micrscope and some worms were still alive I got this from the bibles 7 secrets to healthy eating by joyce Rogers

15. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

Yuck !!! I dont want to eat worms I never knew this Yuck yuck

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All red meat will contain worms.

Flash Freezing is a much more efficient method of killing them.

HankD

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious. Some folks use and flaunt Law keeping (or a part or parts of it) as a badge of spirtuality.

Obviously you are not one of them.

HankD

18. Audra

Audra New Member

The law cannot and will not ever justify us in the sight of God, but it does have a lot of helpful hints to help us through life. He justifies us. Grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

19. servant-96

servant-96 New Member

The dietary law had nothing to do with Justification at any time. It was given to Israel for healthy living(sanctification), not salvation(Justification). Those who think we don't have laws are ignorant to the Word of God. The love of God is to keep His laws, and that keeping His laws are not grievious(Jn.14:21). Do Christians sin? Sin is the transgression of the law(1Jn.3:4).
    The law does not, nor has it ever saved anyone at anytime. We are now relieved from the penalty of the law, but still have laws. The Judgement Seat of Christ is based on how well you kept the law(Phil.3:9a). It is based on our works(2Cor.5:10). Going to heaven is based on God's righteousness, but our judgement is based on our righteousness(1Cor.3:12-15). God redeemed all people who come to Christ Jesus by faith(Gal.3:26), and those who do not are still considered unclean(2Cor.6:17). There are still unclean and clean animals today. Pigs were not intended to be eaten. They were intended for other purposes. If you are going to eat pork, I suggest you don't make it a major part of your diet.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

We need to remember that God never said that "unclean" and "clean" restrictions had to do with health issues. Therefore, you should not be saying it. There are legitimate reasons that some foods are healtier than others. But that is not a biblical reason.

Don't add the to the Bible.