1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diets and gluttony

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Nov 9, 2006.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

As one who exercises regularly, I do see the importance of some carbs, but I make sure to get enough in so that I can effectively do that.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Corndoggy, from what I can see it is a LOW carb diet and not a NO carb diet. It teaches you to take in enough carbs but not excess which will store as fat. I have been reading up on the low carb lifestyle and so far it is doable for me as a permanent lifestyle change.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Not trying to sound judgmental by any means but even after you lost 15 pounds, that's still 85 pounds more than I weigh... and I'm the same exact height as you, plus I'm on the upper end of the "healthy" BMI range. So, yeah the experts are probably right, that's a little heavy for that height.

2. With all that back surgery and stuff, are you sure you're doing the right/safe thing by running yourself into the ground on the machines at the end of the workout? Your physical therapist would know best, but I'd be inclined to say that you probably ought to skip straining yourself for fear of injury.

3. 3.5 MPH is probably a little slow. Bump it up some. Also check your heart rate, make sure it's between 60 and 85 max heart rate, the higher the better... as long as you can keep that rate up.

4. Doing the same exact workout for the same exact speed over and over again for long periods of time is mentally draining and just works the same muscles over and over. Your time would be better spent mixing it up a bit. Try a stair master, elliptical machine, stationary bike, things like that.

5. You sound strong enough that you could do some more advanced cardio. Here are some ideas below. Basically it's fairly high reps, going from one exercise to another as fast as you can. Trust me, that heart rate will go through the roof if you do it right. Jumping rope is kicking my butt.

http://www.mikemahler.com/boringcardio.html

http://www.extremefitness.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-596.html

I do some things like that but I mix it up. For example last night I did something like:

100x weighted jump rope

30 push-ups

100x weighted jump rope

30 sit ups

100x weighted jump rope

15 curls

100x weighted jump rope

15 leg curls

100x weighted jump rope

15 leg presses

100x weighted jump rope

30 push ups

200x weighted jump rope

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have looked at several variations of different low-carb diets so I'm not just prematurely drawing up stereotypical conclusions. Yes many do recommend you to get into where you are using protein as your main energy source. I just don't agree with that at all. I do agree with limiting them if you're not going to be highly active, especially things that have a high score on the glycemic index.

My biggest problem with those types of diets is that I have known several people that get into them, and they eat in rather bizzare ways, strictly limiting MANY fruits and vegetables that are very good for you, and they falsely believe that those things are the problem. At the same time they're eating steaks and fried chicken and all kinds of cheese and just crazy mess. They are simply trying to trick their body. I saw a guy just yesterday tell people they shouldn't eat any tomatoes. Come on people, you know better. Tomatoes aren't why you're fat.

It just really depends on the amount of exercise that you do. It's not really uncommon for me to go on strenuous 3 hour mountain bike rides. I've been on 8.5 hour rides in Colorado and climbed 5,500 feet before. When you have that kind of output... it's foolish to even consider low-carb. If your exercise regiment is pretty low key, sure, limit them... BUT, I still don't believe in cutting out many of the good fruits and veggies that I've seen many people cut out, and I don't believe in increasing your meat consumption.

Right now I am 31. I eat potatoes absolutely all the time, at LEAST every other day. I often pan fry them up in olive oil with onions. Smashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, mmmmm boy, love them potatoes. I eat rice, grits, and oatmeal alot too. Lots of lovers of the low-carb lifestyle would say that this is absolutely horrible. Yet, I weigh the same as when I was 17 and in the best shape of my life. I've shot up to nearly 50 pounds overweight before but I caught myself before it got worse and did something about it.

Funny part is that my whole immediate family eats like that. My wife is by far the fittest/skinniest girl in the church for her age. Most of my daughters friends I bet weigh at least 50% more than her, she's incredibly healthy. We eat lots of bread, potatoes, rice, just all kinds of carbohydrates... all the time. So, from what I have seen first-hand, low-carb in the typical sense is dumb. It's all about getting some exercise and not overeating.

I have yet to personally meet a single skinny healthy active person who swears that low-carb is the way to go.

#64 corndogggy, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2006
  5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you guys eating for breakfast? I recommend unsweetened oatmeal with something like blueberries in it. If you are a big cereal eater and want something a little sweeter, try Kashi, I've been eating Autumn Wheat nearly every morning recently. Sometimes I'll put half a scoop of soy protein powder in the bowl if I work out in the mornings, but most all of Kashi cereals already have some protein already in it, plus you get some from the milk.

http://www.kashi.com/ourfood/OrganicPromise/AutumnWheat/Default.aspx

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

When I did a lot of research into low carb diets I found that soempeople ahve a sensitivity to carbs, some can down almost all carbs and not gain a pound, others can just think of carbs and gain weight (not literally).
    Why is it people have always got to compare others to themselves, " well, this is me, and it is so much better then you." Me thinks you think too highly of yourself.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think I will start again the first of the year!!!:)

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have yet to personally meet a single skinny healthy active person who swears by ANY diet...

Donna: I am one of those people who cannot tolerate many carbs but I can eat all the calories I want and not gain a pound!

Each person should get to know their own body and do what works for them.

I think that's why so many of us fail to lose/maintain weight. We are trying to fit ourselves to someone else's regimen.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Not everyone is you, and not everything that works for you will work for everyone. Low-carb has helped a lot of people lose weight and stay healthy. You haven't met anyone, because you haven't looked hard enough. Try going to the atkins bulletin boards sometime, you will see plenty and I am sure they will be happy to chat with ya. :thumbsup:

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Corndoggy, we dont mean to pounce on ya, lol. I promise. Its jsut that some of us have struggled together with our weight and have seen some major successes together on this forum. I am certainly not skinny, (yet) but I have lost 100 pounds and kept most of it off over the course of almost 3 years. About 20 more pounds and I will be done (woo hoo).

As for the low carb, thats just the best way i can avoid eating foods that will trigger my unhealthy eating habits. You are right, tomatoes and other fruits are not the culprits, lol. Nor do they make me want chips and junk foods that I once ate too much of.

I am glad you are so healthy, and like I said, you have some great points. It is definitely a lifestyle change and wise eating/exercising habits that makes one healthy.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I could eat all I want if I could do this.

But since I walk a mile about 3 times a week I have to watch what I eat. A buddy just brought me a bunch of ginseng tea from Korea which he claims will help my matabolism. What I have noticed, I feel better now that I am walking and I don't seem to eat as much to get full since I cut back on my portions/stop doing seconds and thirds etc.... I have a weaknees with sweets also. Anything with fruit filling (YUM).

Maybe the year will come that I can take that 8.5 hour bike ride with you. It's ashame I live in the foothills of the rockies and can't remember the last time I've been to the mountains.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

this is true, tho, anyone with that kind of exercise output has to have carbs. My exercising doesnt go near that, lol.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't exercise, so I don't need any carbs.

Seriously, I do eat carbs in small amounts, but there is very little exercise I am allowed to do with COPD. The weight comes off very S L O W L Y...

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk on. Anybody who says they are going to wait til 'the first of the year' to start doing what should do, or to stop doing what they should not do, is not serious about it. If anyone asks me about "New Year's Resolutions," I tell them flub that.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forget that I've been highly overweight and not active myself. You can't be holier-than-thou when you've been there yourself. If you think my ideas are foolish and judgmental, just ignore me. I'm just trying to share what I've seen work and what I've seen do nothing but damage kidneys while only producing minimal short-term weight loss benefits.

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be snowboarding for 3 days straight for probably 8.5 hours a day in either Steamboat or Summit County in February... join me then if you want. :thumbsup:

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty sure I said "personally met". The only low-carb long-term success stories I have ever heard of are no-name folks on the internet who could be saying all kinds of made up stuff. All the folks who I have PERSONALLY met, well, their nutritional and exercise lives are a total mess quite honestly.

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You mean like you could be doing in all of this? :laugh: :wavey: :thumbsup:

19. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yes, you're right. Actually, that website that I mentioned that I'm working on earlier? It's called SILLYDIETS.COM. Yes, I think "diets" are silly. So yes, I agree with you 100%.

Now, the way that you said that made me think that you think like most people do and believe that skinny people were already like that and simply stay skinny, and they're going to stay that way no matter what they eat. I don't think this is the case at all. Usually it's alot of work and self-control, especially once you get older. Alot of people don't realize that if they made the same choices as these skinny folks, they'd probably be closer to being skinny themselves.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically. :smilewinkgrin: Yep, you know me, the ol' flamer who just makes stuff up in order to help people.

Just don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting gorging yourself with carbs if your activity level is fairly low. All I'm saying is that if you are physically able, forget the low-carb mess and just work out more, as you will be healthier for multiple reasons. Usually low-carb diets are a way to cheat so that you don't "have" to exercise as much and you can still eat a little too much regularly. My point of view is that if you can keep from overeating in the first place, then exercise more, you really shouldn't have to worry about a low-carb diet, just don't go crazy with them, especially things like white bread, potatoes, and simple sugars such as soft drinks and cake.

#80 corndogggy, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2006