1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different Gospels

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by preacher, Jul 6, 2002.

1. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

To the lips of Blackbird,

Have read your latest posts and we agree that the gospel is Jesus and his work done on behalf of us helpless sinners. My only issue is that you have not yet proved from scripture your quote above. Take any of those guys mentioned in Hebrews 11 and show us where they said, in entirety (total), all the points you mentioned above, that we look back upon today.

Steve

2. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

Therefore I speak to them in parables that hearing they hear not, and seeing, they see not….

Trying to bring these technical apples and oranges up is quite funny……. Jesus has several names in the Old Testament…. Don’t let the fact that the name Jesus, as translated by the King James people, deter you into thinking that Christ the Messiah wasn’t taught…. Jesus was the Ark of Noah, the Rose of Sharon, The Bright and Morning Star….. You can go on and on…. You would have a harder time proving that Jesus wasn’t taught in the Old Testament, than that he was taught….. They knew him then and they know him now…..

Moses certainly knew the rock that followed him out of Egypt, that rock was Christ…..

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Straight from the lips of Jesus--"Your father, Abraham, rejoiced to see My day;and he saw it and was glad."(John 8: 56)

In the blessed book of Hebrews--those charactors living by faith--saw Him who is invisible.

The gospel "buck" stops at Jesus!! Prove me wrong Brother PackerBacker! I do believe that I have proved myself right!

4. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

I’m not sure bluntness in ignorance is much to toot about. Have you read the posts beginning from the starting one? Did I say or imply I don't see or teach Christ in the OT?

The post that started it all was a good question. How do you explain the gospel for those before Christ, if or when you have pigeon-holed it to only part of one sentence in 1 Cor. 15:3-5? I fully accept the death, burial, resurrection, being seen by Peter, the twelve, etc as "good news" but so is a lot of other things the apostles spoke about concerning the good news.

Since you see it won't be hard to back-up blackbirds assumption of OT saints knowing all the details of a passage like 1 Cor. 15:3-5, perhaps you would like to give it a try yourself. Take Gen 3:15 for starters since you mentioned it. Please show me how Adam or his children understood a 3 day resurrection from that passage? After you are done with that one show me how Noah, Abraham, Moses etc believed and taught the three day resurrection of Jesus and that "He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve" (that's all part of what Paul delivered to the Corinthians)?

The promise of God to send a deliverer for mankind was good news to those OT saints who did not know all the details we are privileged to see after the fact. Yes the gospel has always been the same, the work of One, God was going to send, but you should obviously notice the difference in details between Gen 3:15 and 1 Cor 15:3-5.

I'm pretty sure I know what you are saying and what you are trying to defend. I believe the same details as you concerning the gospel (death, burial, and resurrection). I just don't revise the whole OT to make it fit, one of many definitions of the gospel, found in 1 Cor.

The little they knew about the promised one God was sending for them was as much enough to give them hope and save them as the wealth of information we now have about that Savior.

Steve

5. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

You are not wrong that the "gospel buck stops at Jesus" the one God promised to deliverer sinful man.

Prove you wrong? I'm still waiting for you to prove yourself right in the following comment you made but keep side-steeping:

By faith they would say, "Messiah's coming! Yes, indeed! Messiah is going to die for me. Messiah is going to be buried! Messiah is going to get up out of that grave on the third day! Yes, indeed!"

Prove yourself right.

Steve

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Graceforever said:
    Well if there is not another Gospel why are we warned that there is?... Galatians 1:9... What about those foolish Galatians... The Gospel didn't move from them but they moved to another gospel!... Brother Glen :eek:

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother PackerBacker,

I see what you are saying. The differences between the OT writings and the NT. Sort of like the difference between being in the gold mine and being in Fort Knox. The gold is all the same except in the mine--time has to be spent busting it out of all that ore. The only thing they have to do with the refined gold in Fort Knox is--keep it guarded!

Straight from the lips if your friend, Blackbird!

8. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Blackbird,

Thanks. Peace Brother. Hopefully no hard feelings

Steve

PS Birds have beaks, not lips. :D [​IMG]

[ July 13, 2002, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: PackerBacker ]

9. preacher

preacher New Member

NOW FOLKS,
    Have you learned anything NEW? Hope So!! :D

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dear Brother Preacher,

I didn't learn anything--that I hadn't already known! That both the OT and NT gospel can be spelled with five letters--J-E-S-U-S! How about that??!!Amen!

11. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

Well if there is not another Gospel why are we warned that there is?... Galatians 1:9... What about those foolish Galatians... The Gospel didn't move from them but they moved to another gospel!... Brother Glen :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]Brother Glen says,

Exactly, it proves one point… There is no other gospel…..

12. doug44

doug44 New Member

for what its worth...in reference to Jesus' name being mentioned in OT...Isaiah? speaks of Immanuel (Emmanuel) "God With Us"....

13. bro. coley

bro. coley New Member

Brethren here is food for thought. 1. there is more than one gospel. 2.the NT begins at the cross. 3.nobody seen the cross in the OT. 4.nobody in Matt. is saved like you and I are. 5.the bible is a Jewish book (not baptist...) 6.we are ruined by mans tradition. just for starters . in Christ, bro. Coley

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The greek word for "Gospel" in Mark 16 is euaggelion which is translated "the good message". Contextually, it referrs the good news of Christ's teachings, death, and resurrection.

BTW - we also get "baptize" in the NT from Greek (baptizo). It means to cleanse by washing or dipping in water. When Jesus commands his disciples to baptize people in the name of the FS&HS, he's not saying throw everyone in a font, he's saying to cleanse the people of the world of their sins by virtue of the good news of Christ.

[ July 24, 2002, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Every Old Testament Saint was saved just like you and I are today. By Grace through Faith! Habakkuk 2: 4 teaches, ". . . the just shall live by his faith." And although noone in the OT saw the cross--the cross was seen in several different pictures--one of Moses lifting up the serpant on the pole, for starters. Another when the blood was smeared on the doorposts and lintels of the Hebrew households.

16. bro. coley

bro. coley New Member

if no one saw it ,then who saw it?????? :eek:

17. TomMann

TomMann New Member

What say, that the old testament is proclaiming the good news (Gospel) that is going to happen. Jesus and the 12 were preaching the good news (Gospel) that was happening. And we are proclaiming what has happened and what is to come! Because the Gospel has been talked about from the three tenses (past, present, and future) doesn't make it three Gospels.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Those OT Saints didn't see the cross with their naked, physical eye. By faith they looked forward to their Messiah who would come, die, be buried, and be raised again on the third day. The cross didn't come into play until the Romans took over. About 400 years after Malachi puts his ink pen down giving the OT scripture a rest. But scripture is "chock" full of prophecies of pierced hands and feet, cursings for those who are hung on a tree, etc. Did those OT Saints know it was going to be a cross? I believe Jesus did--as for the others who knew scripture--they knew Messiah would die some kind of horrible death at the hands of His accusers.