1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different Protestant Denominations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Aug 10, 2009.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have friends who are Methodists and have visited their church. Here is what I know about them.

Regarding salvation, they are definitely not Calvinists -- very much tilted toward "free-will."

Regarding communion, they do have open communion. However, their view of communion is closer to that of Presbyterians -- not trans/consubstantiation but not a Zwinglian view either. Rather, the "real presence" of Christ.

Regarding baptism, they baptize infants of believing parents - though I don't think their covenantal view is the same as Presbyterians. Like communion, they view baptism as a "means of grace" -- similar to Presbyterians.

Hope this is helpful.

2. Reformed in WA

Reformed in WA New Member

Presenting the Reformed Perspective

I am a member of the URC the United Reformed Church and though you said you knew about Presbyterians I thought I would give you the Continental Reformed Perspective (otherwise known as the Dutch Reformed Tradition).

We practice padeo-baptism and view baptism as a sign and seal of belonging to the covenant made with God through Christ Jesus. We do not believe that baptism cleanses us of sin, only the blood of Christ does that but the water (sprinkling) does symbolize that cleansing. Being baptized in our church does not make one a member but a member must be baptized before they can join the church. We view baptism as the new covenant's sign and seal exactly like circumcision was used to seal the Abrahamic covenant.

Our communion is likewise a sign and seal of our union and adoption with Christ. We believe Christ is present spiritually in our meal although we don't believe He is there bodily (Catholic or Lutheran). We believe and confess that the sign and seal are so closely related to what they symbolize that the Lord's Supper is a means of Grace given to us, along with the other sacrament, Baptism and the preaching of God's Word. There is debate within reformed circles as to the frequency of communion. I am of the belief that it should be every Lord's Day as practiced by the church in Acts.

Communion is closed to members in good standing of any church that is a true church having ecumenical relations with the URC. These would all be reformed or Presbyterian churches not counting such liberal churches such as the PCUSA or the RCA. Here is a link to the church membership we would allow to our table: http://www.service-life.com/sysfiles/member/links/links.cfm?memberid=303&public=1

Our Classis which consists of our ruling elders guard our table. Usually there is an announcement in the order of worship as well as a pastoral announcement during the institution of communion that warns anyone who is not a member in good standing or who has not asked forgiveness of their sins to abstain from the eating of the meal as they would only eat condemnation upon themselves.

We are of course Calvinists though I prefer the term Bible believing Christians. As what Calvin commented on was only Scripture and none of the doctrines that are ascribed to him were his but they are God's. As far as the Perserverance of the Saints (what you stated as once saved always saved) that is a clear doctrine from scripture. (John 6:35-37, John 10:27-29, Romans 5:9, Romans 8:35, etc...)

There are no different views within our denomination. Except as far as I have already talked about like frequency of communion, order of the liturgy, etc... If you would like to know more about how we practice our faith or what our doctrines, confessions and beliefs are I would be happy to discuss them with you.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

If WIKI is accurate:

>The URCNA was founded as a federation of Reformed churches in 1996 at Lynwood, Illinois CRC. Most of the members that founded the URCNA left the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA), due to disagreement on several issues.

then it is a dissenting new denomination that hasn't been around long enough to develop significant internal disputes.

The CRC accepts any person in (at?) communion who has been baptized as a Christian and who accepts the Ecumenical Creeds as representing the truth. Anyway, that is the rule at Everett (WA) First CRC.

4. Reformed in WA

Reformed in WA New Member

Yes it is a new denomination so what you say about dissension within the URC is a good point. But doctrinal dissension as opposed to dissension on order of worship should be avoided at all costs.

It is my understanding within the CRC there is a wide range from very conservative to very liberal is that correct?

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We (PCA) are very similar except that our communion is open to all Christians, though my guess is that this may be a congregational issue -- not a denominational one. Also, we celebrate communion one Sunday per month, not every Sunday. Again, this is a congregational issue.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

>It is my understanding within the CRC there is a wide range from very conservative to very liberal is that correct?

Politically, yes, that is correct. Theologically we hold to the 3 ecumenical creeds and the 3 Reformed statements, Dort, Heidelberg, and Belgic.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This quote is necessary because SN can't remember what he has posted in the public forums.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    good topic! :thumbsup:

Seventh-day Adventists (in some ways like Seventh-day Baptists and like Free-Will Baptists).

1. Believer's Baptism by full water immersion

2. open Communion (grape juice not fermented wine)
    (We also practice foot washing at communion)

3. Arminian - AND Rom 2:6-7 perseverance of the saints is required (so no OSAS).

4. Assurance of salvation based on Rom 8:16 witness -- so no OSAS

5. Historicist view of Prophecy. Literal pre-mill second coming. Rapture is post-trib. Millenium is a real 1000 years. 2300 year prophecy of Dan 8 ended in 1844 at which time the Rev 14:6-7 judgment began. 1260 years of persecution (dark ages) predicted by Dan 7, Rev 11, Rev 12 and Rev 13 ended in the 18th century. etc...

6. Trinity. Christ was God the Son incarnate in human flesh - bodily raised and will return visibly physically - literally at the 2nd coming.

7. 66 Books of the Bible - all inspired all valuable for doctrine, instruction and reproof.

8. Sola Scriptura test for all doctrine

9. Centralized form of administration. But doctrinal decisions can only come from world-wide church gathering (via locally nominated representatives). (So no church administrator can determine doctrine).

10. Only ONE Gospel for fallen mankind in all of time - both OT and NT
    So that means OT saints - saved by grace through faith and it means they had to be "born again" to be saved.

11. Ten Commandments of God " are a good thing" not a bad thing. And are still valid. Seventh day sabbath is accurate and correct - (so evolution is dead wrong.)

12. Spiritual gifts of 1Cor 12 are still valid. (not apostles however because they "by definition" were alive in the first century and saw Christ -- and launched the NT church)

in Christ,

Bob

#28 BobRyan, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. open Communion (grape juice not fermented wine)
    (We also practice foot washing at communion)

This is something I have never understood.....at all Bob

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Melanie -

Which part -- the unfermented wine or the foot washing, or open communion?

Bob