1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different races?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by 4given777, Mar 12, 2003.

1. 4given777

4given777 New Member

I have a question for you that an atheist asked me. I didn't know the answer but told him I would find out. When Noah and his family were all that was left after the flood, how did all the races come about? He said that God changed the races (when they were trying to build that tower to God) before the flood.

Does anyone know the answer to that, I'm still a baby Christian and I didn't want to tell him the wrong information.

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i don't know, but the tower was after the flood, not before.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Skin pigmentations are due to the lessening of the genetic pool due to the congregating of language groups after the confusion at Babel. As these groups separated to other parts of the world, the races became evident in geographical areas.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not sure if you can find the answer to this question because I don’t think the Bible specifically addresses it. However, I’ll give you my opinion and you can feel free to cheerfully ignore it. :D

As it was just previously pointed out, the Tower of Babel came before the flood. Therefore, if we believe in a worldwide flood where only Noah’s family survived, then we should conclude that all humankind is descended from Noah.

Since we have a very small set of human ancestors (Noah and his family who were descendants of Adam and Eve), we can safely assume that all human beings have the genetic capability to manifest all “racial” traits.

In my opinion, the various racial traits came from the various children of Moses and were “concentrated” and “refined” through the climates and conditions where each group settled. I think Darwin was essentially correct when he discussed what we call “micro-evolution”, that is the rise in dominance of certain genetic traits because of the survival of the fittest and intermarriage in a region. For instance, those whose skin tint could handle heat and the sun’s radiation better often thrived in hotter and brighter environments, while those whose skin could not handle the heat and brightness migrated to more hospitable areas. Probably a greater influence was the effect of intermarriage upon a small society. For instance, if you go to certain places in the Piney Woods of East Texas where there is relatively little contact with the outside world, you’ll find whole communities of people who share similar physical characteristics. That’s because people haven’t traveled very much and have a tendency to marry people who grew up in their town (who are probably 4th or 5th cousins).

I few years ago I know a young man and a young woman from the same part of Southern Alabama who had moved to Fort Worth independently of each other (they didn’t know each other until they came here). When I first met them at church when I joined their Sunday School department. They both had the same last name and looked very similar in hair color, skin pigment, and build – so I assumed that they were brother and sister. A few weeks later one of them told me that they had figured out that they were 3rd cousins!

I hope I have provided some assistance, but please remember that those who embrace atheism have already rejected or ignored the general revelation of God in this world and will likely reject any spiritual truth you present. Furthermore, although this is an interesting question, you should try to make Jesus the focus of your conversations. You cannot persuade anyone into the Kingdom by reason, but only through the telling of the gospel and the working of the Holy Spirit. Don’t let him try to trap you into thinking that you have to know all the answers before you can trust Christ. For instance, your atheist associate is affected by gravity all his life, yet no one really knows exactly how gravity works or why atoms are attracted to each other. He trusts gravity through experience -- not technical understanding. In the same way, we trust God through experience.

[​IMG]

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Just a clarification, what was previously pointed out was that that Tower of Babel came after the flood, not before. I am sure this is just a type. The flood is Gen 6-9; the Tower of Babel is Gen 11.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a clarification, what was previously pointed out was that that Tower of Babel came after the flood, not before. I am sure this is just a type. The flood is Gen 6-9; the Tower of Babel is Gen 11. </font>[/QUOTE]Oops! [​IMG]

Thanks for pointing out the error! :D

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Racial genetic traits are adaptive, and relatively minor. There are only three races: Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. The genetic differences between the three races are very minor.

Even in evolutionary terms, racial differences are minor traits that are nearly insignificant. So I see no reason why an atheist would use race as an issue, other than to bait someone into an arguement. [​IMG]

8. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

John, which races fit into those 3 groups? Specifically, Latin, West Indian, and American Indian? (this always confuses me)

Laurenda

9. 4given777

4given777 New Member

Oooohhhh, I see now!!! So the tower wasn't even built until after the flood. Well then my question was answered!! Thanks alot everyone!! He kept telling me it was before Noah and the flood. Even though I have read the old testament I don't remember all of it in order sometimes. I would like to know how he thought it was before the flood if he doesn't believe and never read the bible.

I did talk to him about Jesus but he didn't listen, he told me that no one knows until we die. I told him that he know when he wakes up in hell!! I wasn't trying to be mean, but it's the truth.

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

4 Given, have you shared any scriptures with him? I can help in that area if you aren't sure which ones to show him.

Laurenda

P.S. My p.m. is turned off so just ask me here, and I'll give you a list. Thanks.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Latin is Caucasian. People from Spain are white. However, if you're referring to Hispanic, they were originally a mixture of Spanish (Cucasian) and Indian (Mongoloid).

West Indian. This is a little broader, but I believe that people of the West Indies are mixes of Caucasian and African, of varying degrees.

American Indians are Asian (Mongoloid). So are Pacific Islanders, such as Hawaiians and Indonesians.

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4given, I found it odd that an atheist would believe God did anything, since professedly an atheist doesn't believe there is a God. Was he just using "God" hypothetically to make a point?