1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different Types of Schools/Programs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

This ought to bring in some good discussion!

What is the differences (as you see them) in:

A. Seminaries

B. Graduate Schools of Religion, &/or

C. Universities with Graduate Religion Depts. &/or

D. Graduate Professional degree programs?

Open her up!

sdg!

rd

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the differences (as you see them) in:

A. Seminaries: More ministry focused. However some have a good academic focus.

B. Graduate Schools of Religion: More of an academic focus than seminaries.

C. Universities with Graduate Religion Depts: More academic and usually liberal as well. When I was at University I had an OT professor actually teach that David and Johnathan were "gay lovers". Yes, those are his very words. In general state Universities, even some "Christian" universities, have liberal religion departments. However having a degree in religion from UNC or another major school never looks bad on a resume.

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

I did not know if anyone would ever rsvp or not to this post!?

Anyway,I have found in my experience what you have observed to be true too.

Seminaries tend to follow the "indoctrination" model rather than the "investigation" model like grad schools of religion and Univ. religion depts. Seminaries want the minister to maintain a contiuity of the tradition. Grad schools "investigate" the latest religion findings in the field and perpetuate them, IMO.

Keep in touch. I always appreciate your insightful comments and good spirit.

sdg!

rd

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Seminaries seem to be selling a Bachelor of Divinity degree under the guise of receiving a masters degree.

If I could do it over, I would just go to a graduate school of religion and earn the Ph.D. right from the beginning.

Anyone can learn leadership and preaching skills on their own.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know of any specific schools that would be good for this end?

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

That's the rub.

To get a good foundation in evangelical orthodox Christianity, one is almost forced to earn a masters degree at one of the seminaries first, and then proceed to Baylor, Duke, Drew, Emory, Loyola, Marquette, NC, etc.

If I did it over, I would earn a BA degree in Bible from an accredited Christian school, studying Greek and German for languages.

I would then attend seminary (TEDS) and earn a M.A. in OT studying Hebrew and French.

I would then be prepared to earn a Ph.D. at one of the schools listed above, having completed my language studies and my first two degrees in an evangelical environment.

My pet peave is that the seminaries don't admit students to their M.Div. programs with a A.A. degree in liberal arts. Then we could earn the M.Div. in three years, for a total of five years.

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul,

It sounds as if experience has taught you much. Some of us who have been down the educational road need to help some of those who are coming on to make good decisions and not bad ones that would help make their road shorter and less bumpy.

Very insightful!

sdg!

rd

8. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I'm not sure I would agree. The Bible, theology and homiletics courses I took as a seminary student at Gordon-Conwell were much more challenging and academic than similar courses I took as an undergrad. I think it really depends on the seminary.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

PatsFan,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the courses are not on a masters level. Only that the degree is viewed by other institutions as a "professional" degree as opposed to "academic."

What I mean is this. You don't need an undergraduate degree in religion to earn a M.Div., making the M.Div. degree the "first" degree in the progression to earning a Ph.D. instead of the "second" degree.

Yes, a good quality seminary like Gordon-Conwell or TEDS is definitely at the masters level.

10. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Paul,
    I see what you mean. The MDiv is rather unique compared to a lot of masters degrees. Some professional degrees allow students to begin studies with minimal undergraduate work. PharmD degrees can be completed in 4 or 5 years, I believe. I like your idea of students gaining admission to MDiv degrees with just 2 years of college. Sometimes I think a disssertation should be added to the MDiv degree and it should be changed to a Doctor of Divinity.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

An honorary doctor named Fiddle
    Refused to accept his degree
    He said "It's bad enough being Fiddle
    Without being Fiddle, D.D."

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

An honorary doctor named Fiddle
    Refused to accept his degree
    He said "It's bad enough being Fiddle
    Without being Fiddle, D.D." [/QB][/QUOTE]_______________________________________________

lol

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PatsFan,

I worked in a hospital pharmacy for eight years as a PharmTech. During this time there were three states that were in the process of changing over from the B.Sc.in Pharmacy to the PharmD degree.

If I remember correctly; it took three undergrad years in the sciences then three more academic years to complete the PharmD professional degree program, or 3 + 3.

Or, some people were going on to finish their B.Sc. in some related field like chemistry or biology and then graduate. Then they would go on to do the PharmD which took three additional years, or 4 + 3. This gave them two degrees much like the MDiv and DMin does for us ministers.

This was several years ago between 1990-97 for Tennessee, Arkansas, & Mississippi as best as I can remember it.

There was a short stint of time when MS was changing over from the B.Sc. to PharmD and had both programs.

Clarifications sought & welcomed.

FYI!

sdg!

rd

14. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Leadership and preaching--either you got it or you don't. You can, however, improve your skills based on the abilities you possess in these areas.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Excellent idea. Do a dissertation and earn a D.Div. Forgo the dissertatin and earn a M.Div.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Leadership and preaching--either you got it or you don't. You can, however, improve your skills based on the abilities you possess in these areas. </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]