1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Digital camera?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by donnA, May 22, 2003.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have a digital camera thats about 8 momths old, and worked fine until I had my recently computer problems and had to use the recovery diak on it. Now although everything is installed right the camera doesn want to download. The company said(after 4 days of trying to get someone there) that I need to start using a memory card and card reader. My camera has self storage and card storage. I've never used a card. So what can those of you who have one tell me about this? Is this a good option for me? I found them on line at WalMart and can get both for just under $50.(they have great shipping rates there, best i've ever seen, next to free), the card is 64 mb memory, thats good I assume since my camera is 8 mb. I should be able to use a gazillion pictures. Do these pictures just delete from the card or what? Or do you fill it up and replace it? Wouldn't that get expensive. If I'm going to ahve to replace it I might not want to buy it. They do say that I an sent the camera to them and they'll see if it's something that can be fixed (suggested calling microsoft to see if they can do something with their programing), or hopefully send me another one like it.
    What should I do?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm… It doesn’t sound like everything on your computer is set up properly. I’m guessing you’re using Windows (something older than Windows 2000) and there’s some camera software or I/O software that has not been reinstalled since you’ve reinstalled Windows.

I sincerely doubt this is correct at all. Unless you’ve somehow changed equipment, the real change in your system that caused things not to work was using the “recovery” CD on your computer. Don’t buy new hardware yet!

You said a little later that you have 8 MB in your camera, that’s probably your existing memory card. (It should be removable, look for a little door.) What they probably intended to tell you is that you should use a card reader instead of plugging your camera into your computer directly because your computer is having difficulty reading your camera without the special software that is no longer installed.

Yes, you would be able to take lots of pictures and hold them on the camera…

You can delete the photos just like you can delete the photos from your camera. The card is fully reuseable. Get it if you want it, but I doubt you actually need this card to solve your problem.

They want your money…

Microsoft will gladly take your money for a service call.

The problem is almost certainly caused by not having the proper software installed. I might be able to help you since I have a digital camera and I work with both Windows and Macintosh computers.

Please tell me:

1) What kind of computer do you have?
    2) What version of Windows are you running?
    3) How do you connect your camera to your computer? Do you use USB ports or are you connected to another kind of port?
    4) What is the brand and model of your digital camera?

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm guessing that this statement does NOT refer to re-installation all software that was there initially!?

If true, try re-installing the camera software. My guess is that this will solve your problem

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Baptist Believer,
    yes, it's windows 98, and htere a different software that has to loaded that they don't even give you as part of the included software, I downloaded it from their site. I have the little door, but I do not have a card, it is not included with the camera. My camera is still under warrenty and they have to repair or replace free of charge. When I finally got to talk to them yesterday they ran down everything on my computer having to do with the software and I have everything and it is functioning.
    We believe that when I was experienceing my computer problems last week that it somehow damaged the camera and they camera and computer are no longer communicating. I have no idea what that would technically be called.
    Heres a page on their site that has someo info about this particular camera and software problems, I ahve everthing downloaded.
    http://vivitar.com/CustService/library/library.html

I have a Hewlett Packard, with windows 98SE, a vivitar 3615 camera, and I use the USB to download.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did your tech folks check your system configuration to make sure your USB ports are installed and working in Win 98?

Sounds unlikely to be a real hardware problem, but you never know.

Do you have access to another computer you could test your camera on?

As to cards, I highly recommend them. I'm currently using a 128-meg card, which will hold about 120 photos. Prices have fallen dramatically; a 64-meg card and reader can be had for about $45 online, including shipping.

In addition to providing more space, the card readers will lengthen your battery life because the camera won't have to be turned on to download.

Of course, your USB ports must be working because that's how the card reader attaches to the computer.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

rsr, yes the USB port is working. They had me check that.
    The boys have a computer, but my son takes it apart and works on it so much, I'm not sure I download my camera software, not sure it's even together at the moment.