1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dinosaurs and the Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by freeatlast, May 29, 2004.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For many years, some thought the existence of dinosaurs discredited the Biblical account of creation. Dr. Hovind traces the Biblical and historical references to dinosaurs and interviews people who claim they have seen living dinosaurs.

Click on the link;
    http://www.drdino.com/Downloads/Seminar/vids/index.jsp

and then page down to Dinosaurs and the Bible and click on Mirror Download A, you will need media player to watch and listen to this.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link. [​IMG]

Have had dinner with Dr. H and he is a knowledgeable gentleman. I have no problem with the references in Job being dinosaurs.

3. WallDoctor

WallDoctor New Member

I have a strong Christian friend whose dad actually works for Answers in Genesis but he denies the literal 6 day creation. I am downloading these links to see if anything can help me combat my friend. Thanks for the info

4. JeffM

JeffM New Member

For the life of me I will never understand how people can deny the very word of God in such a way.

Why in the world would God say "day" and mean an undetirmined period of time? Wouldn't it be easier for God to simply give the time frame if it weren't literal 24 hour days?

Really, it baffles the brain.

Another thing I don't understand is if creation was an undertirmined period of time, then how can someone even attempt to keep the Sabbath Day Holy?

Would someone make Sabbath a year? A millenium? An era?

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Satan is very persuasive and men are very receptive.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I've always found it fascinating that most reptiles never stop growing. In the pre-flood world when people lived 10-15 times longer than they live now, wouldn't reptiles also live 10-15 times longer than they do now? What would some of our wierd looking reptiles look like if they were to keep growing for 300-400 years? Kinda makes me stroke my pretend beard and go, "Hummmm".

7. Brett

Brett New Member

By that logic, humans would have "kept growing" for 300-400 years, and the pre-flood humans would have been 16 foot tall, 500-pound giants.

Probably would have helped them build the ark, haha.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Kent Hovind is a fraud. AiG does not recomment using Hovind as a source to support a YEC position. But that's a separate issue.

Job was written post-flood, and the events of job are post-flood.

There are no dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible. I've always been curious why people insist that a behemoth and leviathan are dinosaurs, but have no problem accepting the fact that unicorns and satyrs are something else.

In light of the timeline that Job coversn the absence of dinosaurs in the Bible neither bolsters nor refutes a literal YEC position.

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Actually it's reptiles that never stop growing, not humans. Most humans stop growing once they reach the age of 18. I too believe that the reptiles of today would have been the large dinos of the past. I think humans may have been larger than they are today, but would have stopped growing after they reached adulthood.

While some dinosaurs did become extinct, I believe that there are still dinosaurs here today, they are just alot smaller.

http://www.creationseminar.net/meet_our_dinosaurs.htm

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

NP, you're correct that adults cease growing upon reaching adulthood (roughly 18 yrs of age).

Many other animals, however, grow until they reach a size suitable for their environment. For example, place a goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and it will grow to 2 or 3 inches. Place it in a 30 gallon tank, and it may grow 4 or 5 inches. Place it in an outdoor koi pond, and it may grow 8 inches. Still, there's a maximum that they'll grow to. You don't find too many 12 foot goldfish!!

Now, as far as repriles, the same thing tends to happen to many reptiles. They grow to a size proportilate to their surroundings, but not exceeding a maximum size. However, we tend to think of dinosauria as being these huge Abrams Tank sized animals. For the most part, they were not. Dinosaurs were as diverse as mammals are today. The most common dinosaurs were those that are the same size or smaller than us today. Dinos the size of digs and cats were plentiful. Like mammals, dinosaurs that were gigantic were considerably less common. But it's less romantic to think of dinos the size of cats.

Now, I might also add that dinosaurs and reptiles were two separate kinds of animal. We laypersons tend to lum them all together, but they were reparate. For example, the Pteranadon was a flying reptile. It was not a dinosaur. However, we tend to think of them as dinosaurs, because we associate them with that environment.

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Does anyone here believe in the Gap Theory?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

JM, I believe there a several variations on the gap theory. Then again, there are also variations on YEC as well. Were you referring to specific gap theory, or the general concept?

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

Johnv, You said that Kent Hovind is a fraud. Can you be more specific? What about him is fraudulent?

You said
    I would agree that Job was probably written after the flood, but why does that mean that the behemoth and leviathan could not be dinosaurs? I personally believe that any dinosaurs alive before the flood would have been on the ark with Noah. (although the leviathan may have survived in the water) That would explain a lot of the witnesses since then, from Job to the dragons of the middle ages to the lock ness monster. I am not saying that all of these are dinosaurs, just that some could be.

As far as why I would believe the behemoth and leviathan would be dinosaurs but the unicorn and satyrs are not, it has more to do with the descriptions given in Job than just the names. What other animals would fit those descriptions?

Really this is not a big issue. What I mean is that mention of dinosaurs in Job does not prove or disprove the creation.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This has already been discussed elsewhere, but the topic includes obtaining of a fake degree to tax evasion. No need to repeat all the info on this thread.

No probably about it. None of the Bible was written pre-flood.

The Hebrew words behmowth and levyathan were used by the Hebrews to describe contemporary animals. Behmowth means "water ox". Water ox is what the Hebrews called hippopotomi. Levyathan translates roughly to sea serpent, which is what they called the crocodile. Both the hippo and croc are indigenous to the region where the Hebrews of the time resided.
    That's the point I was making earlier. Presuming that I'm correct, and that these animals are the contemporaries that the Hebrews referred to them as, it neither bolsters nor refutes a either YEC position or old earth position. It's irrelevant to Genesis 1.

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

These are often called Living Fossils or plants and animals that were supposed to be extinct millions of years ago but are alive today. Most of these creatures are marine invertebrates.

The Coelacanth, a fish, was considered extinct for 70 million years. One was caught in 1938 by fishermen of the coast of South America.

The Tuatara, a beak-headed reptile, supposedly died 123 million years ago. Today, they can be seen on islands off the coast of New Zealand.

The Neopilina was supposed to be extinct for 280 million years. Today, fishermen in Central and South America catch them in their nets.

On April 10, 1977, the rotting carcass of a 32-foot long, 4,000 lb "sea monster" was caught at a depth of 900 feet under water near Christchurch, New Zealand. The Director of Animal Research at the Nation Science Museum of Japan said "...these animals are not extinct after all."

[​IMG]

16. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

JohnV. I am talking about the GAP Theory in general. About there being a time before time. I find it quite interesting and explains a lot of things that does not conflict with the bible's teaching.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

NP, if I remember that case correctly, the photo does not fully depict the entire animal, only parts of the animal that "look like" something else. Full photos of this animal have been recognized by marine biolgists as the remains of a sea lion, dead for perhaps 30 days or so.

18. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I also heard that it was the remains of a dead shark, but I have never seen a 4,000 lb. shark or sea lion. I think it could have been the remains of some type of "sea monster".

Sometimes I wonder if the "Loch Ness" monster and some of the other "sea monsters" that are reported around the world, are not modern-day dinosaurs.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

NP, many speculated that it could have been a dead basking shark because tissue samples had protiens that resembled shark protiens. But many sea animals share those protiens. Also, part of one of the pictures resembles the open mouth of a basking shark. But again, that's just part of a picture. As stated earlier, in full photos, the remains were easily identifiable to marine biologists as a dead sea lion. BTW, sea lions are common in the New Zealand, and are hunted by the great whites in the region. Sea lion carcases, or parts thereof, while not every day occurrences, are not exactly rare in those waters.

20. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member