1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diploma Mills, Whether...

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Mar 22, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Diploma Mills, whether Baptists operated or not, I think they are unethical.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As do I. This might break the BB record for shortest thread :laugh:

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Unethical, immoral, and should be illegal.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...only after I get my PHD, THD and MD for $500.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm not joking, but some people have gone that way.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

And you could earn all of those degrees in just a few short months at Patriot Bible University. According to their graduate student guide (pg4) a person can complete a graduate level course in three weeks. :laugh:

You could complete their thesis or disseration requirements rather quickly as well (see pgs 8-9). No footnotes, no formal writing style, very few references, and simple topics!! It would be a laugh riot if it were not for the fact that people actually fall for that. Sad!

#6 Martin, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention the fact that you are only required to have 15 sources for a 75 page thesis. That's ridiculous. Only 20 required for a 150 page thesis. Incredible!

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As followers of Christ we called to be excellent in all things. Particularly in our pursuits of God's glory in academics we must pursue these things with excellence.

Diploma mills and half-way degrees are a pox on the name of Jesus Christ, particularly because it reinforces a lax Christian attitude with an unbelieving world.

We must be excellent...these programs and schools clearly are not.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is a little off the subject. I work for a department of the federal government, and most promotions past my level require a bachelors or masters. Some individuals got in big trouble for trying a promotion on a degree from a college called Almeda university. It is a degree mill that requires little or no work even for a doctorate. They are not accredited by an agency the US Dept of Education recongnizes. They were lucky to keep their present jobs.

These places are shams. A few thousand dollars in exchange for a bogus degree, transcript, and acreditation. These places should be outlawed. If you want a degree over the internet, be careful.

My opinion is that it is totally dishonest. In the realm of Christian vocations, it is especially a mockery of the Gospel.

http://www.almedauniversity.org/about-almeda-university.html

#9 saturneptune, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  10. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

While I agree with everything you say...I just completed a graduate level class in just under 3 weeks...at a very large distance learning university...but that is probably unusual. My first one in four weeks...so six hours in 7 weeks. I intend to load up in the summer at this rate

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Should be illegal?

I have a problem with the illegal part. This opens the door for government control and influence over private education. This is a step in the direction of curtailing academic freedom, stiffling innovation and granting government the means of enforcing a politically correct ideology. As a free people, we must protect ourselves and our posterity against government control of ideas and beliefs.

On the other hand, diploma mills and degree mills are a real and present nuisance. There is a viable means of redress in a free market for such fraudulent scams. Potential students need to be aware of degree mills and must have the courage to forego the easy route to a useless and meaningless piece of paper. Furthermore, let the misled graduates, who have been led to believe that they have a legitimate degree, sue the degree mill when they find themselves disqualified for specific employment. This would put them out of business pronto. Also, employers need to be knowledgeable of degree mill rags when hiring personnel. I am opposed to looking for government to solve all our problems, cure all of our illnesses and care for us from the cradle to the grave. The attitude of a free people must include a healthy dose of self-responsibility.

12. Broadus

Broadus Member

I agree with Paid about the government issues. One difficulty, however, is getting the word out. Concerning church employment, perhaps if there were an unofficial list of degree and diploma mills that could be sent to churches to be aware when perusing the resumes of candidates, that would help. Even then, where would the line be drawn between a substandard institution and a diploma mill?

I would love to see a real solution which would make it too risky to open and degree or diploma mill, but too many want the easy route and others simply don't know enough about education to know the difference.

Bill