1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Direction in your child's life

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TheOliveBranch, Oct 11, 2003.

1. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Over the years I have watched parents raising their children. Some have given their children direction by giving choices for their children to make. Go into the ministry, or go into the ministry.

Their kids are in Christian schools, or homeschooled with Biblical basis as the main focus. They send them to Bible college, or off with missionaries or evangelists.
    Pastor's kids are usually placed under the pastor in their own church, missionary kids stay on the mission field, evangelists continue to tote their kids until the "right one" comes along, but is in the ministry, of course.

I know this is not always the case, though. There are those kids that make their own decisions, and they go to a secular college, or into the military, or just get a job and work their way up in the world. They witness to the unsaved, go to church, are members in good standing.

Seems to be two ways here. But what bothers me is when the kids go to Bible college and don't go into the ministry after graduation. The kids end up with an education, but I've seen them go to work at the nearby c-store, or stock shelves while they wait for their "calling" to come. They struggle to meet the rent and pay the bills. Is there any right or wrong in either of these scenarios? I know there is no guarantees after secular college either, but if one majors in, say, theology, or missions, but doesn't go because they are waiting for the calling, wouldn't it have been just as well if they would have studied in another field for a back-up?

And, do you think that many of the problems with pastors or their wives may be because they were directed to go that one way in their life, but without having made that choice, they actually are in the wrong place?

How are you directing your children?

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

I see Bible college to be part of making disciples, and I don't think it is necessary for graduates to go in ministry after graduation.

I would be happy if all my kids went to Bible college. I don't know that they will, though, and ultimately, the decision is theirs to make.

My son who is 24 already has a trade, and also a couple of years of secular college behind him, but he's thinking of going to some sort of Bible college next year--not because he wants to go into the ministry, but because he is interested in learning. I'm sure when he finishes, he will be involved in some sort of ministry in his local church,

3. Justified

Justified New Member

Or, could it be that Bible Colleges are also for the potenial meeting of ones future spouse?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I taught high school and junior college several years ago. At that time a Christian school contacted me and asked me to teach there. I declined because of the low pay. I could not have hardly paid my rent there. In that school like so many others they have little money for other things such as the trades and that kind of experiences. A teacher in a Bible schol can pastor a church on the side. But a trades teacher would find that very difficult. So it kind of shows the kind of teachers they will get and those who can afford to teach there.