1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Discernment

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, May 1, 2019.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread seeks to enhance believer discernment by exploring how it is put into practice by the assembly. ​

Paul said:
    Do not treat prophecies with contempt, but test all things. Hold fast to what is good. Abstain from every form of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5)
    This is often (imo) ignored by the vast majority of the assembly

Rather than post a sermon and testing its validity because that would be far too long, I picked a popular song. One the greater part of the BB folks have heard and perhaps sung.

This thread is not about music, Rather, it is to be about engaging discernment whether the “all things” is spoken in a monologue or by vocalization and accompaniment. I chose the song merely because it is familiar, it is easily dissected for discernment, and short enough to get some early ideas on how to “test all things.”

Please do not become exercised and make this thread about music. It is to be about teach discernment, engaging discernment, and making personal choice on “holding fast to what is good.”

What is in parenthesis is my own analysis. You may discern something different.

“What a beautiful name” words and music by Brooke Ligertwood and Ben Fielding (found here)

You were the Word at the beginning
    One With God the Lord Most High,
    Your hidden glory in creation (He was not hidden but as creator and sustainer, “the heavens declare His glory” and He was shown through the ages to the ancients by both nature and prophets - even Gentile Magi knew of His promised coming, “We have seen His star...)

Now revealed in You our Christ (The mystery of which Paul states was not the Christ, but the gentile believers. The formation of the church in which gentiles were grafted into believing Israel. ) (The writers of the song put forth John 1:14 as proof, yet that verse is specific to the contemporary followers of Christ in His day. They beheld Him as John expresses elsewhere that they were eye witnesses, heard him and touched Him. The writers seek to excuse there mistaken assuming no one would examine the lack of truth in there writing).

What a beautiful Name it is
    The Name of Jesus Christ my King. (No place in Scriptures is the “name” considered beautiful. Such is merely unfounded emotional froth. )

Nothing compares to this
    The Name of Jesus

You didn't want heaven without us (Not unsupportable by Scriptures, God has no “need” needing satisfied.”
    So Jesus, You brought heaven down (Not Scriptural, at no place was or will heaven be brought to earth. It is an extra biblical statement, the kingdom “not of this world” will be brought, but that is not heaven.)

My sin was great, Your love was greater (Blood, not love erased the Sin)
    What could separate us now. (not based on love, but upon the authority of God)

What a wonderful Name it is
    The Name of Jesus Christ my King
    Nothing compares to this
    The Name of Jesus
    The Name of Jesus

How sweet is your name, Lord, how good You are
    Love to sing in the name of the Lord, love to sing for you all? (Misuse of how we use the name, Scriptures state the name is used specifically for calling upon the authority when confronting the enemy of God.)

Death could not hold You, the veil tore before You (Not the Scriptural sequence of events. The veil was torn prior to the resurrection not during or after).

You silenced the boast, of sin and grave (Not Scriptural presentation of the ministry gospel message of Scriptures, it was not the mere boast but the actual victory and sting taken and now held in the authority of Christ.)

The heavens are roaring, the praise of Your glory
    For You are raised to life again. (Not found in Scripture.)

You have no rival, You have no equal
    Now and forever, Our God reigns
    Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory
    Yours is the Name, above all names
    What a powerful Name it is
    Nothing can stand against
    The Name of Jesus
    You have no rival, You have no equal
    Now and forever, Our God reigns
    Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory
    Yours is the Name, above all names
    Nothing can stand against
    The Name of Jesus
    The Name of Jesus
    The Name of Jesus
    (Vain repetition generated to appeal to emotions and not declaration of new truth. There is no presentation of new evidence but reliance upon repetitive emphasis as if the proclamation serves as validation. A manipulation tool done when a speaker has a weak point and or wanting listeners to accept as fact that which will stir up emotionally. May or may not be truthful.)

So what do you teach about discernment and do you practice discernment in your own life as you hear people “preach” be it singing or oratory or even an oratorial?

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I discern that if the inspired psalmists were able to use repetition, I have no reason to condemn it. We aren't accusing God of using it as a manipulative tool, after all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repetition while adding new information is not vain. But the same words over and over without adding new information is NOT found in the Scriptures, and that includes psalm 118.

The Scriptures repeat many things, as do quality teaching and teachers. But none of that is route repeating using the exact phrase, the exact cadence, and without new information.

For example:
    “Jesus is Lord”

We can all agree. But the preacher who repeats that statement over and over without adding further new information, in the same cadence, is engaging in vain repetition.

An example of repetition that is not vain is the Lord saying, “Truly, Truly, ...”. Each time he adds information

The song by the Gaithers, “There is something about that name” does not engage in vain repetition because of both new information and change in cadence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You accuse brothers and sisters, over what? Where in Scripture are the rules of what types of verse are acceptable to our Lord?

We all have our preference in regards to music, but condemning our fellow believers over opinion is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are drifting from the purpose of this thread.

If you like repetition, that is for you to decide, but then what do you do about the rest of the lack of sound Scripture doctrinal presentation?

Are you willing to embrace what is doctrinally unsound? Would you put up with that from any presentation, any distribution, any media that the writers present as Scripture based?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, let's look.

Unless Scripture specifically states that the Name is ugly, why do you have a problem with someone finding beauty in our Savior's Name? You label it "merely unfounded emotional froth." That is a strong statement. Not the type of language I would throw at someone who found beauty in Jesus' name. It's a name that means deliverer, which relays a rather beautiful message in my opinion.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you would review how and when the name was used, and how believers are to use the name.

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well by all means, enlighten me. Show me where having the opinion that Jesus' name is beautiful is heretical.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one of my favorites from a child:

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross
    (Scripture does not describe the cross as old or rugged)
    The emblem of suffering and shame
    (the cross was a symbol of secular justice for horrible crimes. It had been used by the Persians and by the Jews before Rome became an empire)
    And I love that old cross (are we to love the cross rather than Christ?) where the dearest and best
    For a world of lost sinners was slain (unlimited atonement)
    So I'll cherish the old rugged cross
    (scripture does not say to cherish the cross)
    Till my trophies at last I lay down
    And I will cling to the old rugged cross
    (we do not change the old rugged cross for a crown)
    And exchange it some day for a crown
    To the old rugged cross I will ever be true
    (We are going to be true to the old rugged cross???)
    It's shame and reproach gladly bear
    (scripture does not teach us to bear the shame of the cross)
    Then he'll call me someday to my home far away (scripture tells us our home will be here in a new earth)
    Where his glory forever I'll share
    And I'll cherish the old rugged cross
    Till my trophies at last I lay down
    And I will cling to the old rugged cross
    And exchange it some day for a crown
    I will cling to the old rugged cross
    And exchange it some day for a crown (repeating it does not make it any more correct).

I think we have to step back and ask what these songs are trying to communicate. Sometimes that is what I find more important than it's theological composition.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one of my favorites:

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
    In a believer's ear!
    It soothes his sorrow, heals his wounds,
    And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
    And calms the troubled breast;
    'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
    And to the weary rest.

Dear Name! the Rock on which we build;
    Our shield and hiding-place;
    Our never-failing treasury, filled
    With boundless stores of grace.

Jesus, our Savior, Shepherd, Friend,
    Our Prophet, Priest, and King;
    Our Lord, our Life, our Way, our End,
    Accept the praise we bring.

Weak is the effort of our heart,
    And cold our warmest thought;
    But when we see Thee as Thou art,
    We'll praise Thee as we ought.

Till then we would Thy love proclaim
    With every fleeting breath;
    And triumph in that blessed Name
    Which quells the pow'r of death.

You want discernment?... I'm a Sinner... He's my Savior!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    aged-man, the genre of modern song (and even an ancient psalms) allows for repetition (eg. Ps 118) and a broad interpretive license.
    Your assault on the songs is based upon a faulty interpretive literalism.
    Loosen up, you’ll enjoy the songs better and be blessed by them as countless others have in the past.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. I guess it is in error if we sing anything but direct scripture in dull context with no repetition.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessed Be the Name

His name above all names shall stand,
    Exalted more and more,
    At God the Father’s own right hand,
    Where angel hosts adore.

Blessed be the name! Blessed be the name!
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be the name! Blessed be the name!
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Hallelujah!

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never stated it was heretical.

But I do take Isaiah’s words as truthful

“As a root out of the dry ground He has no form or comeliness, and when we shall see Him there is no beauty that we should desire Him.”

What are the signifiers of His name? Again from Isaiah:
    6For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given;
    and the government shall be upond his shoulder,
    and his name shall be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Do you see “beautiful” in that list?

Not a single Scripture ever refers to the Saviour’s name as beautiful.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not even implied in the OP.

What is sought is not an examination of songs, but what level of discernment is used and how it is applied.

Does allowing for what is not Scriptural merely because it is appealing get a pass?

Could it be that the (imo) increasingly shallow preaching that has in some manner been explored in threads on the BB now also getting a pass because believers have been enamored into accepting what is not of Scripture?

Should not believers be wary at least aware of shallow teaching no matter the media form?

How can abiding in a diet of milk ever build that which is healthy especially for the lactose intolerant?

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are taking a view of Psalm 118 that has no foundation.

There is never “poetic license” taken with Scriptures.

The 118th repeats a phrase after each new information. Also the palms presents major decisions of emphasis in which the new information is adjusted into that emphasis.

Attempting to justify the modern use of repetition by pointing to passages such as Psalm 118, seems to ultimately lead one into embracing even the repetitious hum of the heathen as they seek enlightenment, or the vowel tones of the Native American dance where no words were used, only repeated vowel sounds.

However, this thread really is about discernment, how it is used, what can be done in practice to skill assemblies to engage discernment, and the goal of when successful discernment is displayed.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

IF one takes the time to explain to the assembly that worship of the cross, cherishing the cross, exchanging the cross,... is referring to something else, then the question comes why waist the time?

Ultimately, it comes down to what is enticing.

The song has an interesting history, but I do wish the writer was less exuberant about the cross and spent greater pointing to the Saviour’s accomplishments.

But I do understand that when mocked one can sometimes over respond.

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another thought on discernment.

Often folks consider “wonderful” and “wondrous” as meaning the same. In fact some modern dictionaries have blended the meanings because all dictionaries base definitions on common usage.

However discernment recognizes that wondrous has an aspect of speech stopping respectful awe that wonderful does not contain.

Many wonderful colors may fill a beautiful sunset, but few are breath taking, stop and examine the majestic wondrous display.

The common grace given to humankind is wonderful, but the grace extended in salvation is wondrous to the one redeemed.

By using the two words in a sermon, the hearers can discern the majesty, the peace, the glory in comparison to the lesser.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The explanition is valuable.

As an example, the song "Fill my cup". I never hear the lyric "until I want no more" but "until it overflows". The change is due to a misunderstanding of "want".

Another is "In the Garden", which is less than theological.

I do not know about the mocking comment. Other than a few spoofs of contemporary and traditional songs (like on Babylon Bee) I have not seen mocking.

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is worship music required to be meat? Is that it's purpose?