1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discipleship, salvation, and the church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by nunatak, Apr 15, 2008.

1. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I posted this in the Grace and discipleship thread, but it got lost in all the brouhaha about HWIT.

Originally Posted by skypair"That is a common error among those who think that belief and faith don't transmit the WILL to do what God commands.

MUST = legalism, nunatak. Many people doubt their own salvation because they do not feel the will to "follow," as you say. That is a totally spiritual conviction of the Holy Spirit and if you have truly trusted in Christ, it is a plea to God, "God, I believe, HELP THOU MY UNBELIEF!" Mk 9:24

Many of us sit through sermons on Sunday questioning whether what the preacher said is truly what God says. Should I tithe? Am I to "evangelize the world?" Are you calling me to preach? We ALL need to pray as that father did -- "help my unbelief."

And BTW, it's a question we all ought to ask ourselves but NOT judge others with.

Eleven disciples didn't know how to heal that father's son. They needed to know HOW, right? God, help thou MY (skypair's) unbelief!!

skypair"

Skypair, I don't deny what you are saying, and I appreciate your candor.

Two questions:First, why is what you say true, which I don't doubt it is--"Many of us sit through sermons on Sunday questioning whether what the preacher said is truly what God says. Should I tithe? Am I to "evangelize the world?" Are you calling me to preach?"

Second, is this a condition in ALL the churches, from the apostles time to now? Is it limited to 20 and 21st century churches? Or is it limited to American churches?

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

If I framed my questions wrong, I would be happy to reword. I am just trying to find out.

3. standingfirminChrist

In every sermon, the congregants should have their Bibles open to make sure what the preacher is preaching or teaching behind the pulpit lines up with God's Word.

We are to study to show ourselves approved unto God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed. If we don't know the Word ourselves, any false doctrine will be believed just because a man calls himself a man of God.

We have a responsibility to walk in the light of the Word, but if we do not study, we are not truly walking as we should.
    This has been going on for centuries.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Unfortunately, the average Christian can't even find the books of the Bible--especially the ones of the Old Testament. They would have no idea if what the pastor says is true or not even with the words in front of them since most of them have never read any of it for themselves. Our pastor said he likes to see people search frantically for 2nd Hezekiah. It shows that your average Christian doesn't know even the names of the books of the Bible.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know where the table of contents is though. :)