1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discipline & Corporal Punishment

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kathy, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

What is the biblical principle for corporal punishment given by the Preacher/Principal of a Christian school? Can it be backed up with scripture?

Also, is there scripture that alludes to the fact that only the father (head of the household) is to institute corporal punishment at home?

Thanks!

Kathy
    <><

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

What does the bible say?
    I don't know,
    but it isn't right for anyone but a parent to spank a child. I would never give permission for something like that. I (or my husband) should be the only ones who can deside if an incident warrents a spanking.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was Administrator of our Christian School for many years (as pastor). I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER spanked, hit, paddled, beat, switched, or swatted a child.

That is the PARENT'S responsibility. If a child was to be so punished, the parents were called in and the child disciplined by his parents. A staff member of the same gender as the child witnessed it to be sure adequate discipline occurred.

Cannot imagine how that child will look at the pastor the next Sunday preaching the Gospel who beat him in school that week . . .

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

To SOME degree, our sensibilities now are overlaid on Scripture. The Christian school my kids attend NEVER uses corporal punishment. If really severe misbehaviour occurs, the parents are called in to discipline. If REALLY bad misbehaviour happened, suspension or expulsion would result.
    However, when I was in public school 30 plus years ago, the principal and teachers routinely spanked. Usually just in grade school though.
    The common attitude of parents including mine seemed to be, "If you get in trouble at school, you are in double trouble when you get home." The parents seemed to make the presumption that the kid deserved it.

I am NOT making any presumption about your personal situation, now. But I have heard a number of current teachers say that now most parents make the presumption that the kid did NOT deserve it.

Karen

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The Christian school I attended for a couple years did use corporal punishment, and all the way through 12th grade. I remember my brothers best friend getting spanked when he was 18, lol!
    I was younger, probably around 5th or 6th grade then. I'd get demerits for things like not standing up when an adult entered the room if I didn't see him, or forgetting a ma'am or sir, or something dumb, then when I had enough demerits BAM! We all knew to wear extra clothes when we got close to the limit, lol!
    What do I think of it now? Well, I hated our assistant pastor then, and I was afraid of him. Not that the pastor or his wife never punished me, but it was never without good cause. :D :D :D
    Just as in everything else, be careful who you put in authority over your kids! They should be people who are going to treat them pretty much the same as you do. A babysitter or teacher is essentially taking my place when they have my kids in their care, so if they need discipline they should have the authority to do that, IMO.
    da Gina

6. Joy

Joy New Member

I agree with Dr. Bob here. The Bible gives the responsibily of the rearing of children to no one but the parents. Not the school, or church, or grandma, or the babysitter!

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Yes, but just because it's not spelled out in the Bible doesn't mean that God abhors it, in fact, things that God finds abominations are CLEARLY spelled out, IMO.

I have witnessed the protocol at a Christian school where the Preacher did the "swats" when the children reached 4 demerits. The slate is clean every day and if they earn those 4 in a day period, they are sent to the Preacher for a swat. Here is what transpires:

1. The child and Preacher have a conversation about the demerits and talk about if something is wrong or ways that the Preacher can help the child to improve.

2. The child and the Preacher (note: a witness is ALWAYS present) have prayer together.

3. The child is asked to "assume the position" so to speak, and the swat is administered - if the child resists, the Preacher WILL NOT restrain the child. The parents are called in and it is handled accordingly.

4. Once the swat is over, the Preacher comforts the child and tells them he loves them, etc. and the child is sent back to work.

There are many teenage boys who get swats frequently, but they are good boys for the most part, and they ADORE the man (Preacher) who administers the swat. It is a very controlled, loving experience. I personally would have no problem with this. I would have a problem, if the Bible told me NOT to allow discipline from school, etc. There are very few (albeit none right now) instances where, if I am present, will I allow another individual to discipline my children with spanking. That is for me and my husband to do because we have very specific rules about it. But I don't see this "swatting" as a spanking because if my daughter is say, disrespectful to me, she is going to get more than one swat, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the Bible admonishes AGAINST this...

Kathy
    <><

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They "adore" the preacher for swatting them? For every one that has that reaction, I will show you ten that will later turn away or scoff at God because of such abuse.

Do you think that the great number of teens leaving our Christian schools (or Christian colleges) "adore" those who disciplined them with swats for "not standing up straight" or other child-like behavior?

I do an awful lot of counseling. Guess I am old and cynical and have seen too many people who were "hurt" by the pastor, the rules, or the "system" and carry a lot of baggage into adulthood.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

The problem with discipline or corporal punishment is that it isn't used in a large amount of homes today. To many parents do not discipline their children or only when the parents are mad will they do it or even think about it. If it isn't done at home(discipline) it isn't going to work anywhere else.

10. Joy

Joy New Member

I was well disciplined in my home, but I deeply resented the system my Christian school had. Parents were "required" to sign a form allowing the school to administer corporal punishment at the beginning of each year. (My parents never signed it) In our school, the teachers word was law, and they never made a mistake or used punishment out of frustration or anger! :rolleyes: If a teacher accused, even if they were wrong, you were in trouble.

The principle of discipline also must be coupled with unconditional love of a parent- something that I guarantee no teacher or principle feels for your child, no matter how good of a teacher they are. The parent child relationship is special and unique.

Without that special love relationship in discipline, it becomes nothing more than an abuse of power and control, and like was mentioned before, if they weren't taught to obey at home, they will not obey anyone else either. Corporal punishment then becomes demeaning and provokes a child to wrath. There is no room for mercy or a time of bonding afterwards.

The responisiblity of discipline and nurture lies soley in the lap of parents. If they don't do their job, no one can do it for them- it's just the way God set it up.

11. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    They "adore" the preacher for swatting them? For every one that has that reaction, I will show you ten that will later turn away or scoff at God because of such abuse.

Do you think that the great number of teens leaving our Christian schools (or Christian colleges) "adore" those who disciplined them with swats for "not standing up straight" or other child-like behavior?

I do an awful lot of counseling. Guess I am old and cynical and have seen too many people who were "hurt" by the pastor, the rules, or the "system" and carry a lot of baggage into adulthood.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a "general" level, I wholeheartedly agree with you Dr. Bob. But at the school I am looking into, it is as I described, controlled and loving. I might add that this school is smaller than some homes (LoL) so it involves some very close knit families (including the Preacher). If I had even an inkling of abuse or even abuse of power, my children absolutely WOULD NOT attend this school, because I wholeheartedly believe that the foundation of discipline lies within my home. Not only that, I'm almost POSITIVE that my school-age child will NOT ever have enough demerits to even get a swat *hehe*

Also, the children don't receive demerits for child like mishaps like forgetting to push in the chair and such. They get demerits for things like incomplete homework, scoring violations, etc. So it's not a flippant order of things. The school is not militant in any way.

But I DEFINITELY know where you are coming from Dr. Bob & Joy, and if I hadn't witnessed these things first hand, I would be apprehensive.

Thanks & God Bless,
    Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Joy, If parents were required to sign a form that allowed them to use corporal discipline on a child for the child to attend and your parents didn't and you went it must not have been required only wanted. Not trying to be smart but pointing out.
    I went to military school and what was required was required, no exceptions.
    I believe the parents are incharge of their childern, and should disipline their childern in the way they see fit, the better a child is disciplined at home the less that will be needed anywhere else. If one child is exempted, then all should be in my mind. We had to march off our demerits, either a hour or maybe a half a hour for each, it has been a long time ago(1950's). If you received over 3 demerits in any week or hadn't marched off your demerits by game day or any special function you didn't get to participate in the game or othe function. Demerits were given for incomplete work, talking in class, not eating all on your plate at mess, etc. I still think that marching off demerits and not being allowed to participated in other functions is the best discipline I have seen. But it all starts at home! No one's child is an angel, I know the blood line they came out of, just thankful that my childern were better than I was.

13. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I'd like to point out that this thread has become and explary model showing that people who disagree on an issue, can debate in a non-antagonistic, friendly manner! PRAISE THE LORD!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;