1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discipline or abuse

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread about Lester Roloff, http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=43877&page=3, Magnetic Pole mentioned the State had a right to oversea Roloff homes to ensure there was no abuse. From the link: "The people through their state government determine what is abuse. Otherwise, anyone can claim their religion condones it. Abuse is pretty easy to figure out, and if some cultic preacher and his followers claims otherwise, it doesn't make it so. It is a rightful role of the state to protect chldren from abusive parents or others in whose custody they are placed."

So, does the State have a right to oversee parents in regards to parents? If so, are there limits: Should spanking be ok. How about withholding certain activities such as food?

On the other hand, does the State have a responsibility to ensure there is no "endangerment of the welfare of the child?

While we are at it lets include such items such as handling snakes (Mark 16), blood transfusions and ect

Salty

OK guys, lets keep this somewhat civil if not, you will be sentenced to wearing Dr Bob's bow tie for a full month!

PPS, I know Misspelled Discipline in the subject line - sorry bout that ( 3 days of the bow tie)

#1 Salty, Oct 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it don't damage, it ain't abuse; physically speaking.

If it does damage, it is abuse; physically speaking.

The state has no business getting involved unless it IS abuse; as defined above.

Simple answer, but a complicated question for any who choose to let someone other than God determine how you are to rear your own kids.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

God did not ordain the state to define how we correct our children.

When my children were small they got spankings (not beatings) in the place God provided for them.

A couple of times they went to bed without supper.

They all survived without any trauma, complexes, or lasting negative effects.

Explain what your child did wrong, spank him on his bottom, pray with him afterwards. That is Godly discipline.

Discipline is not to hurt the child, but to correct him.

Never discipline in anger.

It really IS supposed to hurt you as much as it hurts them.

The word discipline comes from the word disciple and we are to train our children according to the admonition of the Lord...not the state.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree, if it doesn't hurt the heart of the parent to discipline the child, then abuse may follow soon after.