1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discipling the flock.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ben W, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

For all of you that are serving God in the pastoral capacity, I would like to ask how you disciple the brethren in the church that are called to preach from behind the pulpit.

Do you teach others, how to prepare a sermon, how to speak in public etc? do you have people that you are discipling in a second man ministry to back up your own ministry?

Would you allow a member of the congregation who has the gift of Teaching or Evangalism pulpit time?

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Ben W. wrote:

No, I dont teach how to prepare a sermon. I will critique one after it is delivered. God calls men differently, each have diverse gifts, and that should be allowed to shine through. Public speaking ability comes with time and experience. The first time I was called on, I was scared to death. It doesn;t bother me now. I do encourage the young fellows not to let it (fear of public speaking) be discouraging.

Yes. Primitive Baptists are quite generous with time in the stand (we call what most call a pulpit a stand). It isn't really our time, it belongs to the Lord, and if he has seen fit to raise up a man who ventures in our doors he may have a message to deliver through him. Course he may not, and have sent him there to hear a message by another brother, but we let the Lord be our guide on that.

We do things a bit differently than you would find in most places. Before services begin, one of the deacons polls the membership (privately) and they make the preaching arrangements of who will take what part of the service. The church's senior pastor, however, will always conclude the service. I am the junior pastor of my church, but have been preaching for 25 years. Our senior pastor has been at it for almost 50. If it is just the two of us there, he will start one meeting time and I will conclude, and the next time we reverse the order. The man is like a father to me, which is comforting since my own father has been dead for many years. That seems to me to be the best way to disciple a young minister -- act as a father toward him.

Sorry to ramble.

Jeff

3. dan53

dan53 New Member

I had the opportunity to serve with a pastor and a man who was called to preach. We did not have a problem of rotating or serving together. I feel that more men should have the opportunity to get some experience preaching / teaching. Of course it depends on the maturity level of the individual. That being said; why not ? It is not pulpit; yes, I bear the responsibility of the flock being fed and I should protect them etc... but giving others the opportunity is not a problem. [​IMG]