1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discord among the brethren

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Mar 29, 2003.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd like you to explain this further. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with where you're going. Just because someone misinterprets the Bible, that doesn't mean God's Word suddenly is no longer inerrant, infallible, and God-breathed.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like you to explain this further. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with where you're going. Just because someone misinterprets the Bible, that doesn't mean God's Word suddenly is no longer inerrant, infallible, and God-breathed. </font>[/QUOTE]I am not saying that the text ceases to be the Word of God. However, the Word of God is only the Word of God when understand as originally intended.

When a receiver of communication redefines the meaning of the sender then the message ceases to be "the word" of the sender.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I understand what you are saying Scott, though I would probalby put it another way. I think you are exactly right in principle. I would say that it doesn't cease to be the word of God when it is wrongly interpreted; I would say that it ceases to be authoritative ... Perhaps a fine distinction ...

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Pastor Larry. I think you have helped.

To illustrate- The JW's claim to be a strictly Bible based group. There is no way that what they believe came from God as He communicated in His Word. Yet, they use (abuse) scripture to support their beliefs.

Their claim to be "Bible based" is basically true but they are not based on the Word of God. They accept the words of the KJV but change its message.