1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion With A Muslim Want-a-Be

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Jan 4, 2013.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had occasion the other day of speaking with a young (black man) who has turned to being a Muslim.

He told of going to church with his Aunt many years ago who kept trying to force him to seek the "gift of the Holy Spirit" and that if he wasn't blessed with this "gift" he would be forever lost. Included in this conversation was a boat-load of things he had to "do" in order to find grace and eternal salvation.

As fate would have it..., this guy told of becoming extremely confused as a youth, eventually turning to drugs and alcohol and is now recovering but in the meantime..., has become a practicing Muslim. What a shame.

I shared with him of the thief on the cross who was told that, "Today, ye shall be with me in paradise..." How this man was in a position to where he could "do" nothing. He couldn't get baptized; he didn't speak in any unknown tongue; he didn't turn an pray to the East; he never led a Sunday School..., etc., but rather, he died that day and found himself in paradise..., for eternity. I want to meet that man when my time comes. Of course, meeting with all those who came before me. What an exciting prospect!

Why do modern day churches take the Word of God and make it into something it is not? Where does all this must "do" stuff come from? Are churches and church leaders so desperate at maintaining numbers on the roll they end up inventing and creating nonsense?

Where did this "do" religion originate?

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

As I've been told many times, the reason many do not want to be a Christian or go to church is due to the Christians that they see every day. So often it is the pastor and it goes to so many in the church. If you work with or do business with folks you see things you like or dislike, we need to keep in mind we are ambassadors for Christ at all times.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Alkire, you raise good points. But I also believe the wannabe-a-Muslim guy.
    A relative's husband used to work in Saudi Arabia. He was a good family man, worked his behind thin as paper, endured the heat and hardship of the desert so he can send money back home while his wife took care of the kids.
    Every two years he got to go on vacation, and every time he came home my relative would be right there taking care of housewife business for him.
    Thing is, his kids, didn't seem to be doing well at school, seemed to be "malnourished", seemed to lack the discipline a mama-attended brood should have.
    And he was right.
    You see, after he goes back to the desert, my relative will once again plunge herself in the "Lord's work", "winning souls", conducting Bible studies and prayer meetings, accompanying her pastor along with others on visitations and street preachings to get more people "won" to Christ.
    Nothing wrong with that, right ?
    Well, yeah, IF she went on her sorties AFTER the kids were fed, clothed, sent to school, and the house attended to. But the whole hulaballoo begins at 6 am and ends at 10 pm !!
    That's how "committed" she was to the "Lord's work".
    So, one day, her husband was home again, and her good for nothing pastor was there, and did his number on the husband. Roman road, Ephesians 2, the works.
    His reply ?
    No, thanks, if being a Christian means I need to work real hard for the kingdom of Christ at the expense of my family's welfare, I don't want to be one.
    So he's now a muslim, if I understand correctly.
    Converted in Saudi Arabia.
    Both out of contempt, and for convenience.
    I understand he even married a Muslim over there.
    But he's back home now, retired.
    I referred to her pastor as good for nothing, because he NEVER once spoke to her about trying to balance her duties as wife and mother with her duties to the Lord.
    I know.
    I was there the whole time.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also islam is a way of life, it governs ALL aspects of a society, so thos ein it fully commited to their cause, and also a heavy satanic influrnce/blindness going on here!

5. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Works salvation has existed as long as Christ's atonement has. Remember Nicodemus? "What must I do to be saved?" He wasn't thinking belief and rebirth when he posed that question.

I do agree with Pinoybaptist. There is a balance. We are called to serve our Lord and Savior, but when we are given a family, we are called to attend to them. If we lose our very family but save the world, we have failed.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Pharisees of Jesus time were always a do religion. IMO the origin of the "do" crowd in modern times is the RCC, and the groups that lead to it for the first 500 years after Christ rose. It infects all denominations. Focusing on our own, while Baptists do not have a list of dos for salvation, ours comes in the form of rules for everyday life. Don't dance, gamble, drink, etc etc etc, none of which are Biblical. Do go to pot lucks and stuff yourself like a pig and joke about it, and finally, ignore gossip like it does not exist.

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...ours comes in the form of rules for everyday life. Don't dance, gamble, drink, etc etc etc, none of which are Biblical. Do go to pot lucks and stuff yourself like a pig and joke about it, and finally, ignore gossip like it does not exist.

Thank you, saturneptune.

Let me share an insight with you folks. Just over three years ago I became severely ill from FOOD POISONING after eating veal at a Slop Chute in upstate New York. For the past three years I have suffered on and off with diarrhea straight from the pits of hell. (Some of this stain of poison will stay with you for years.

My latest episode dealing with this infection from the pits of hell was just this past Monday when a verse of scripture came to mind. (1 Timothy 5:23, a little wine for your stomach sake.)

Now I'm not a drinker and the last time I was even high from alcohol was back in 1970..., two years before I came to the Lord. On the way home I stopped at an ABC Store and bought a pint of whiskey. I then went home and gagged down one ounce of this stuff and my stomach immediately began to improve itself. I could feel it! I could literally feel an improvement!

As such, I'm not going to be impressed with any attitude from any "do'ers" regarding my stomach. I am the one that ends up embarrassed, not them. Nor, am I going to share this with those in my immediate circle of friends at church but if one ounce of gagging whiskey a day (in the privacy of my home) will work for me then I'm sticking with it.

It does in fact seem to me that being a Christian should NOT be a burden nor should I have to prove myself to others. If my relationship with the Lord is on a personal basis with Him then I have nothing to justify with any do-gooders in the community.

...I'm just tired of all the nonsense.

#7 HAMel, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That has been going on since there was false teachers. Legalism is east to preach but teaching living in obedience and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit is not as tangible and controllable so everyone think the same on everything. I have also noticed that weak people want to be controlled because it gives them boundaries.