1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion with regards to Church history

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

. . . and he will continue to ignore it. He doesn't want to hear what he doesn't want to hear.

2. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

In response to DHK assertion that he doubted that the ECF's held any notion of a state of purgation:

From the Old Testament, Clement [of Alexandria] and Origen took the notion that fire is a divine instrument, and from the New Testament the idea of baptism by fire (from the Gospels) and the idea of a purificatory trial after death (from Paul). The notion of fire as a divine instrument comes from commonly cited interpretations of Old Testament passages [ e.g. Lev 10:1-2; Deut 32:22; Jer 15:14; cf. Luke 3:16]

Origen's conceptions were more detailed and far reaching than Clement's. As we have seen, Origen thought that all men, even the righteous, must be tried by fire, since no one is absolutely pure. Every soul is tainted by the mere fact of its union with the flesh....Origen and Clement agree that there are two kinds of sinners, or, rather, that there are the righteous, whose only taint is that inherent in human nature (rupos, later translated into Latin as sordes), and the sinners properly so called, who bear the extra burden of sins that in theory are mortal (pros thanaton amartia, or peccata in Latin)....

For Clement of Alexandria, the 'intelligent' fire that enters into the sinner's soul was not a material thing...but neither was it a mere metaphor: it was a 'spiritual' fire (Stromata 7:6 and 5:14)....what is involved [in Origen's view] is a purificatory fire, which, though immaterial, is not merely a metaphor: it is real but spiritual, subtle....Origen's eschatological notions were highly personal...He believed that the souls of the righteous would pass through the fire of judgment in an instant and would reach Paradise on the eighth day after Judgment Day.

Thus, if Origen glimpsed the future Purgatory, still his idea of Purgatory was so overshadowed by his eschatology and his idea of Hell as a temporary abode that ultimately it vanishes from view. Nevertheless, it was Origen who clearly stated for the first time the idea that the soul can be purified in the other world after death. For the first time a distinction was drawn between mortal and lesser sins. We even see three categories beginning to take shape: the righteous, who pass through the fire of judgment and go directly to heaven; those guilty of the lesser sins only, who sojourn in the 'fire of combustion' is brief; and 'mortal sinners,' who remain in the flames for an extended period. Origen actually develops the metaphor introduced by Paul in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15.

In this period [of the fourth century] Christian thought concerning the fate of the soul after death was based mainly on the vision of Daniel (Dan 7:9) and on a passage from Paul (1 Cor 3:10-15), and less frequently on Tertullian's idea of refrigerium and Origen's concept of a purifying fire....Lactantius (d. after 317) believed that all who died, including the righteous, would be tried by fire, but not until the Last Judgment [cites Instit 7:21 Migne PL 6:800]...Hilary of Poitiers (d. 367), Ambrose (d. 397), Jerome (d. 419/420), and the unidentified writer known as Ambrosiaster, who lived in the second half of the fourth century, all had ideas on the fate of the soul after death that make them heirs of Origen.

[Ambrose] also clearly stated that the prayers of the living could help to relieve the suffering of the dead, that suffrages could be of use in mitigating the penalties meted out in the other world...[cites Ambrose on the Emperor Theodosius].... (page 60)

Ambrosiaster, if he adds little to what Ambrose has already said, is important because he is the author of the first real exegesis of 1 Corinthians 3:10-15. As such he had considerable influence on the medieval commentators on this passage, which played a key role in the inception of Purgatory, and in particular on the early scholastics of the twelfth century. Like Hilary and Ambrose, Ambrosiaster distinguishes three categories: the saints and the righteous, who will go directly to heaven at the time of the resurrection; the ungodly, apostates, infidels, and atheists, who will go directly into the fiery torments of Hell; and the ordinary Christians, who, though sinners, will first pay their debt and for a time be purified by fire but then go to Paradise because they had the faith...[then quotes Ambrosiaster on 1 Cor 3:15].

It was the role of Augustine, who left so deep an imprint on Christianity and who, in the Middle Ages, was regarded as probably the greatest of all the Christian 'authorities,' to have been the first to introduce a number of ingredients that later went to make up the doctrine of Purgatory....Augustine's importance in the history of Purgatory stems first from the terminology he introduced, which remained current through much of the Middle Ages. There are three key terms, the adjectives purgatorius, temporarius, or temporalis, and transitorius. 'Purgatorius' figured in the phrase 'poenae purgatoriae': I prefer to translate this as 'purgatorial punishments' rather than 'purificatory punishments,' the latter being too precise for Augustine's way of thinking (the phrase occurs in City of God 21:13 and 21:16). We also find tormenta purgatoria, purgatorial torments (in City of God 21:16), and ignis purgatorius, purgatorial fire (in Enchridion 69). Temporarius is used, for example, in the expression poenae temporariae, temporary punishments, which is contrasted with poenae sempiternae, eternal punishments (City of God 21:13). Poenae temporales is found in Erasmus's edition of the City of God (21:26).

Now for the Church Fathers on prayers for the dead, purgatory, and the development of the doctrine.

The Acts of Paul and Thecla

"And after the exhibition, Tryphaena again received her [Thecla]. For her daughter Falconilla had died, and said to her in a dream: 'Mother, you shall have this stranger Thecla in my place, in order that she may pray concerning me, and that I may be transferred to the place of the righteous'." (Acts of Paul and Thecla [c. AD 160] or ANF VIII:490)

#42 lori4dogs, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Lori, you're absolutely right. I do ignore you when you try to tell me what Catholicism teaches because what you say Catholicism teaches contradicts what Catholicism says Catholicism teaches.

I quoted five different Catholic sources that stated that Purgatory is for sinners to expiate their sin and you still insist that Purgatory is not for the expiation of sins.

Why do you and thinkingstuff believe that your opinions on what Catholicism teaches are more authoritative than the Catholic Church's opinions on what Catholicism teaches?

OK. What makes her "better qualified to make assertions about what Catholicism teaches" than the five Catholic sources I cited?

Yes, actually, each of the five sources I quoted are Catholic sources and so do represent Catholic beliefs.

But again, I didn't write those things. All five of the sources I quoted are Catholic sources. What makes thinkinstuff and Lori more authoritative than them?

For that matter, what makes them authoritative at all?

First of all, how is it that all of the years I spent in the Catholic Church don't count?

Second, do you understand the difference between being exposed to such materials and actually seeing first hand statements from the authorities behind those statements, themselves?

Sorry, but I trust the CCC, the Council of Trent, the Catholic Encyclopedia, Karl Keating, and the Catholic priest I cited more than I trust Lori and Thinkingstuff.

Tell me, when you were a child, did you ever play the game "telephone"?

#43 JohnDeereFan, Dec 17, 2009
  4. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

[Deleted by me. See next post.]

#44 Darron Steele, Dec 17, 2009
  5. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Even though she clearly is better qualified than you to make assertions about what Catholicism teaches.

The Catholic church is not posting, so we are not getting "the Catholic Church's opinions on what Catholicism teaches." That being the case, both both Thinkingstuff and Lori4dogs are more authoritative than you to tell us Catholicism teaches.

Thinkingstuff and Lori4dogs, even if they are not Catholic, have clearly
    a) been heavily exposed to Catholic materials, written by Catholics for Catholics, and
    b) have first-hand knowledge of what happens in Catholic circles.
    You show no sign of either, but they show it clearly and unmistakably.

#45 Darron Steele, Dec 17, 2009
  6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one needs TS or Lori to tell them what the Catholic church teaches. That information is out for anyone to see. And Lori is less credible because she had the truth at one time and turned to a lie.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So far, there is very little about church history on this thread that I can see.

It became an attack on the rapture and then some fighting over purgatory.

It's a good thing that as someone who does believe in the rapture, I am not turning every thread into an attack on some belief like the amil view, the preterist view, Calvinism, etc. I wonder if it's possible for the group here to discuss the topic rationally.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, if you're going to copy and paste somebody else's work, you really should give them credit for it.

9. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

You are absolutely right. The source is Phil Porvaznik. He is a Catholic apologist.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bill -- my guess is that our denoms are fairly similar. Apostle's Creed & Nicene Creed, and then Westminster Confession. I agree with your comment about local churches.

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a misdirected question
    Neither Lori or I claimed to be more authoritative than the Catholic Church's opinion on what Catholicism teaches. Both of us have stated that you have not acurately described what it is they teach. This is in effect what you are doing.
    The Scripture tells us that Jesus said "an eye for an eye" so from that I can conclude its ok to take vengence out on someone. In this example I've purposely left out "you have heard it said" and later " but I tell you". So no matter how verbatum I've quoted the scripture its still misleading.
    As you know my father, Mother, brothers, and sister are still very much devoutly Catholic. My father has some influence in the Church and through him I've come in contact with a Catholic Theologian and Benedictine monk who teaches seminary to priest. I asked him last night on this discussion of purgatory and what the Church teaches about it with regard to my statements this is his reply
    So I am not off when I compare purgatory to Theosis. However, he like me comes to this conclusion
    . The difference is I reject purgatory based on its speculative nature. He accepts it because it is doctrine and has been held by the Church Since the ECF that it must, in his mind, be authoritative Tradition. So the things I say are based on a knowledge not a biased opinion of someone else.

Also note that you're referrence to Keating is defeated by his book "Usual Suspects" Page 167 where he says in response to a video he's watching that
    Also in his Fundalmentalism vs. Catholicism he states
    Which is clearly a theosis referrence rather than the paragraph just previous which you quoted. So in context expiation is for the 2nd consequense of sin rather than for the sin its self.

#51 Thinkingstuff, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia you are quite right. I wanted to speak on the nature of the developement of the Christian Church through history however I did chase rabbits left by JDF which started by him saying this
    to which I replied
    to which he referred to another thread
    which lead into another discussion of purgatory from the other thread and to my attempt to show 1) I did not defend the doctrine and 2) to clarify what the doctrine actually was about.
    Yet to prove some point of his JDF then stated this
    Questioning I suppose my attachement to the SBC I attend because use of my signature which I explained by saying my reason for using this particular quote, which by the way I put there from another thread discussing escatology by saying
    to which he implied that belief in the rapture was necissary for proper Christian belief and that possibly anyone who doesn't believe in the rapture may not be saved by saying
    and later
    So it wasn't my intent to discuss purgatory here but I didn't back down from the argument because I knew I was right :). And it wasn't my intention to attack the rapture but felt I needed to defend my signature.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Tell me how the FIVE CATHOLIC SOURCES I cited are not accurate.

Fine. Then go to the sources I cited and you post them in their entirety and explain how I allegedly took them out of context and explain what the correct context is.

I don't care.

I'm sorry, but neither one of you have any more authority to speak on what Catholicism teaches than the CCC.

Then why are you defending it?

Right. So when you declare what Catholicism teaches, it's "knowledge". But when the Catholic Church declares what Catholicism teaches, it's just their "opinion".

Thanks for clearing that up.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again, I'm not defending it. I'm putting it into its proper context. I will again say upfront that I disagree with Purgatory because its speculative rather than supstantive and in either respect to the Catholic or the Protestant it's not a salvation issue. Here is my proof that you have taken these text out of context.
    As for Keating note that you're referrence to Keating is defeated by his book "Usual Suspects" Page 167 where he says in response to a video he's watching that
    Also in his Fundalmentalism vs. Catholicism he states
    Which is clearly a theosis referrence rather than the paragraph just previous which you quoted. So in context expiation is for the 2nd consequense of sin rather than for the sin its self.

Why do I say that? Well in the CCC it states that
    So with this consept in perspective we come to the main Purgatory quote from the CCC
    Now as to Trents declaration
    So with this catagorization of sin into primarily two classifications
    the term expiation that you keep refering to is directly related to sanctification by getting rid of our worldly "attachments" we expiate the venial sin which only has "temporal" affects. They are not an eternal matter. Safe that we need to be washed mentally away from them by "purgation". Note again the difference
    and
    it is not the latter for which purgatory deals with but the former. Again note how its differentiated in this catachesial statement
    And how Br. Bruno Catholic Theologian at a Catholic Semniary - the theologian to whom I referred to previously answers
    This is the context in which the Catholics view purgatory. In otherwords Purgatory is a step in sanctification through theosis rather than a payment for the sins that Jesus has forgiven us of.

2 consepts. 1) Sanctification not 2) Attonement in the Sense of Jesus making full payment keeping us from condemnation. This is the catholic position. So in order to debate purgatory you are discussing several things. Sanctification, Theosis, classification of Sin from things that keep us from obtaining a Christ like mindedness. Not payment for sins already attoned for but from our venality.

Underlining, brackets, and numbering with brackets are my inclusions.

15. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

JDF: This is from a person who DISAGREES with the teaching of Purgatory but understands what the Catholic Church actually believes about it.

#55 lori4dogs, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, he's defending the heresy of Purgatory precisely because he does not understand it. The fact that keeps contradicting the Catechism of the Catholic Church shows that he neither knows nor cares what Catholicism teaches.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you have consistently defended the heresy of Purgatory.

No, that doesn't show that I took it out of context. You're citing a second, unrelated source.

Again, you're citing a second, unrelated source. That's mighty dishonest of you.

Why do I say that? Well in the CCC it states that [/quote]

So, basically, you're citing the CCC stating that Purgatory is for the expiation of sin, in order to make the case that Purgatory is not for the expiation of sin?

I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time you tell me how stupid I am.

Irrelevant. Doesn't contradict the passage I cited from Trent at all.

I'm sorry, but that's just not what the FIVE CATHOLIC SOURCES I cited for you say.

The FIVE CATHOLIC SOURCES I cited each say that the purpose of Purgatory is for the sinner to expiate his sins.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    and thus you prove my point with you. I've quoted directly from the CCC of the Catholic Church. I've quoted directly from Trent. I've quoted directly from Keating. I've quoted directly from a Catholic Theologian. Each one explains the entirety of their doctrine of Purgatory. Each one supports the Other, Each one is in accordance with the Magisterium of that Catholic Church. And what you have done is contrary to your claim. YOU HAVE NOT ACCURATELY REPRESENTED WHAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TEACHES IN REGARD TO PURGATORY. The very sources you quote are only in part. You ignore the differences in understanding of Mortal and Venial sins. you ignore the differences in the 2 consequences in sin and you have reply in a manner below your education and qualifications. I show you using the same sources you claim how the writers of those sources understand their own documents and you refuse to listen to them. If you were to make the same points to the pope himself, he, being an academic, would say you are wrong. You have shown that you did not read my post in their entirety and thus don't really bring anything to the debate on purgatory save the regurgitation of the same misapplied statements. If you really want to debate purgatory I suggest you stop referring to you own notions and appeal to the actual sources you've misapplied. You again refuse to contract your statements even though I've showed you how you can misquote scripture eventhough be verbatum.
    You insist I defend purgatory but I assure you I have not or do not. I only show you what the debate is. Its like you attempting to discuss a lion but only describing a dog. And when you are given an explination of what a lion really is you insist its a dog. But it is a lion that is the subject not the dog.

19. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

JDF: Cover ears with hands . . . . go la, la, la, la, la!

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not one of them contradict what the sources I provided say.

Actually, I quoted directly from Catholic sources.

You're right. I did choose to quote only the salient parts of those sources. However, each time you've accused me of taking them out of context, I've invited you to reproduce them in their entirity and explain how I took them out of context and you have repeatedly failed to do so.

I did not "ignore" them. I chose not to address them because none of the FIVE CATHOLIC SOURCES I quoted made any such disctinction.

Gee, another personal attack. Why does that not surprise me?

Then he would have the responsibility of explaining where these FIVE CATHOLIC sources got it wrong.

Actually, I did not write the CCC, the Council of Trent, the Catholic Encyclopedia, nor is Karl Keating my psuedonym.

And, with this post, I will follow the Bible's admonition to not argue with a fool.