1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Disingenuous Christianity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TH....thanks for your support...and no i havent, truly havent had a chance to breathe to behonest......no downtime for this cowboy. Trying to make hay while the sun shines. Tell me, what was the book?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree...thank you.:)

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I understand completely. Book is Gospel Centered Community (Thune/Walker).

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how do you feel about that suggestion Rev Mitchell? Namely that church could be a small assembly of people who otherwise shuns established corporate workshop and starts their own prayer group....Rebel and others contend that is the origins of origional Baptist communities....do you agree?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know will it be a private country club for Christians or will it be an actual church outwardly focused. And the claim that you don't need a minister to have a church is just false. It is false about Baptists and it is false about the church in general. Check with scripture not historical revisionists.

#45 Revmitchell, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Private country club?!? Now what ever do you mean by that? And have you ever studied the Primitive Baptist model of church? Its elder led.....or are you referring to having to hire a guy as a pastor?

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but only as the preacher follows Christ?... Some have left the church just for that reason as their are other factions of Primitive Baptist... Elders also walk with feet of clay and if they start publishing unsound doctrine unless they correct their error, it can split a church. I've seen it happen... Differentiate from the Articles Of Faith and that action will spilt churches and that according to Apostle Paul is not pleasing to Christ. This not only applies to PB pastors but every pastor.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ... Brother Glen

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to worry....In NJ, people tend to disappear.:smilewinkgrin:

But seriously....I gotta do what the Lord tells me to do. He da Man!!!

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The home church of my childhood started this way:

A family of Baptists was transferred to a tiny oil field village out in the sandhills. There was a community church, but no Baptist church. This family announced there would be Baptist SS at their house on Sunday mornings.

When enough families started attending, they constituted as a church--if memory serves me it was 13 charter members, but I'm not sure on that. When enough were attending they built a modest building. As the church grew they were able finally to hire supply preachers, and then affiliate with the local and state SBC.

Sometimes oil field workers were "called", ordained, and served as the preacher. Sometime later they were able to build a modest parsonage and eventually began calling full time preachers when they could, going with volunteer when they could not.

In a community that might hit 200 in a boom membership ran around 100 and attendance around 75. I did say in an oilfield boom, so this was sort of like a church in sin city.

As people moved away the church finally closed after about 50 years. Now with a new boom, I hear it is opened again.

It produced several pastors, missionaries, musicians, and many SS teachers. They are now scattered serving all over the world, or retired and their kids are serving.

No church planter, no mission funds, no approval, just Green Stamp Bibles and Baptists getting the job done.

Little is much when God is in it.