1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dismounted patrols improve security in Haqlaniyah

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by KenH, Jul 9, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]HAQLANIYAH, Iraq – Lance Cpl. Mark T. Russell, team leader, 2nd squad, 3rd platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, conducts a contact patrol through Haqlaniyah. During the patrol, the Marines spoke with many locals about ways to make the city safer.[​IMG]HAQLANIYAH, Iraq – Lance Cpl. Dustin R. Crandell, squad leader, 2nd squad, 3rd platoon, Charlie Company, patrols through a wadi in Haqlaniyah looking for a weapons cache during a recent patrol.[​IMG]HAQLANIYAH, Iraq – Cpl. Christopher Adamski, intelligence analyst, Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, searches in a hole for a weapons cache in Haqlaniyah while on patrol through a wadi.

HAQLANIYAH, Iraq – (July 8, 2007) -- Grenades, improvised explosive devices and small arms attacks are all known threats while convoying or patrolling the streets here, but with Marines conducting dismounted patrols through the city those threats become minimal.

Continuing operations, 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 2, recently set-out to conduct a contact patrol throughout the city, one of the three that make up the Haditha Triad.

“We left the [forward operating base] and swept a wadi for a weapons cache that we were told was in the area,” said Lance Cpl. Dustin R. Crandell, squad leader, 2nd squad, 3rd Platoon, Charlie Company, 1/3. “Nothing was found, so we then began to visit some of the local houses to see if they have seen or heard anything recently.”

Crandell added when he speaks to locals, he likes to ask personal questions, so they feel comfortable with him.

“I'll usually start off the conversation by asking about their home or occupation,” he added. “Once I think they feel comfortable with me, I'll begin to ask more tactical questions, like if there are any new people in the area.”

Lance Cpl. Manne Dominguez, team leader, 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, Charlie Company, said the patrols help build trust between the Marines and the locals.

- rest at www.marines.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1B94E767785EC4F6852573120051CD9C?opendocument