1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disney at Christmas

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by TaterTot, Nov 23, 2007.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We will be spending Christmas in DisneyWorld this year. This will be our girls' first time to go and my second. Anyone been there this time of year and have any suggestions? THanks.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Tater, we went to Disney last year.

You'll want to go the Christmas Light shows at MGM. For one of them, there are Christmas lights strung on all the buildings and they blink in time with the music. They even added fake snow.

There was another light show going on at MGM that was packed, but we missed it.

There's a Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom, but I don't remember if it's everynight, or just certain nights. People were getting their seat on the parade route at least an hour and a half before the parade started.

Once the public schools let out, the lines for rides get much longer. A 15 minute wait for Splash Mountain on Monday became an hour wait on Wednesday night.

Fast pass as much as you can.

At Epcot's Mission:Space, take the green side unless you like a lot of spinning. My brother-in-law and his wife said they almost puked on the orange side.

The "Seas with Nemo and Friends" at Epcot is really lame. You should go on it just so you can come back and we can commiserate about how bad it is. :)

You already know this, but just as a reminder, everything at Disney is expensive.

"Why am I not surprised? I think I could have a heart attack and die, from that surprise."

For example, we took food with us for breakfast, but bought breakfast on Wednesday at Epcot. So expensive. But, man oh man, was it good. Probably the best breakfast I ever had. So, go in prepared to spend a good sized chunk of change and you won't be disappointed when you actually do. Expectations are everything. Oh, and the not surprised line is from a movie. Do you know what movie it's from? We quote that line all the time at my house.

We loved our trip to Disney. My kids talked about it for months. My 3-year old still tells me he wants to go to Disney. They keep asking when it's going to snow, because when it snows, that means we can go to Disney. I haven't the heart yet to tell them that I don't think we're going this year. We are definitely going back to Disney, just not in 2007.

Your own Disney trip will probably be talked about for months, and remembered for years, to come.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to DisneyWorld at Christmas once, but it was many years ago. The main thing I remember is we only got to do a few rides because the lines were so long. As the previous poster mentioned, the food is really expensive. If you can eat before you get in the park you'll save money.

I really enjoyed the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse and It's a Small World boat ride. That's about all I remember.:wavey:

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks for the comments. And, no, I didnt get the quote lol.

I have been reading alot about others experiences at Christmas and now I am not sure its so wise. It sounds spectacular but totally crowded. We will be there actually on Christmas, and this will prob be the only time we go for years. Been saving 7 years for it. We talked about changing to another time, but the girls would be completely devastated. I just want them to enjoy it. So from what I gather, we should get up and out early and expect long lines lol. Thanks for all the details CC, I am going to print them out so I dont forget. :)

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Disney is very expensive, so I hope you've saved well. Plan on around $150 a day for food.

We have found that bringing our own breakfast food saves both time and money. Time is of the essence! We took poptarts, instant oatmeal and grits, and cereal (don't forget the styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons!) and bought milk in the evenings when returning from the parks and stuck it in the ice canister for morning. We also took our own coffee! They have coffee makers in the room. First pot was just hot water for the oatmeal, second pot was coffee for Mom who doesn't move without it!

When we were there, one or the other of the parks opened early. Plan for those days and go straight to the rides most important to you. Fast pass what you can.

If you are staying in the park, your kids will enjoy the swimming pools as much as the park, so plan on making use of them. The pools are great! (and heated, but check on this cause I don't believe all of them are)

If you are going to do a character meal you need to getting reservations for those now! Get online and find the reservation number and call! Character meals fill up fast!

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] I got it!

#6 Scarlett O., Nov 24, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Great ideas MK! I plan on doing what you suggested.

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

And can someone tell me in real people terms what the Fast Pass is? A student at school told me about them and that they cost about $200. A website said therewas no charge to use them. So can yall clarify? Thanks. :love2:

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Tips my hat to Scarlett. Well done. :)

Tater, a Fast Pass is free. Go here to read all about them.

Getting into a park early only applies if you're staying at a Disneyland resort. We stayed at Port Orleans last year and every park was open early at least one day while we there. It was asking too much to get my wife and kids up early, so we didn't do it.

We stayed at Port Orleans and the big pool that was staffed by lifeguards was heated until 11pm. You could still be in it, but it wasn't heated anymore. There was another pool that was right by our room and to my amazement, it was heated and it was wonderful. Good times.

Yes, but there's a way to handle that so you're not annoyed the entire time.

Make sure you set your expectations appropriately. Go in expecting to stand in lines and have huge crowds. If you don't get them, you'll be thrilled. If, however, you do get them, well, you knew going in you would get that and you won't be disappointed.

Besides, despite the crowds of people, you'll have a fantastic time at "The Happiest Place on Earth."

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

When things got really crowded and the kids got impatient at waiting in line, is when we chose to go swim or eat.

One thing I forgot: TAKE COMFORTABLE SHOES!!!!! You will walk yourselves sore. The strollers they have at most of the parks are worth their rental(some parks have double strollers). Your little one (what is she 4 or 5 now?) will not be able to keep up and you will exhaust yourself trying to carry her. Your older one will do pretty good but she will be glad for the ride to. Disney's strollers are built to be easy to push even with a load. You can take your own stroller, but then you have to carry it back and forth on the shuttles(to much trouble for my already sore from walking miles back). Just carry a couple of throws for comfort.

How're the reservations coming?

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We normally go to DW a weekend or two before Christmas. In fact, this may be the first time in years that we don't go. The parks are beautiful & it is my most favorite time of the year to go.

THE one big thing to do at Christmastime is the Candlelight processional. This is held at EPCOT, across from the American pavilion. Do not miss this. They have a huge choir singing traditional Christmas carols with a full orchestra, along with readings from the book of Luke. There are normally two or three shows each night.

The readings are done by well-known "stars" - with each person only doing a few nights. Last year we heard Jim Caveizeal and the year before it was Steven Curtis Chapman. You can check out the web site to see who will be doing the readings while you are there.

Here's the catch. If you want priority seating (and you do - otherwise you will have to stand in line for hours and then sit or stand in the back), you must have a dinner & show package. This will move you to move to the very front after dinner. The dinner will be in one of the countries' pavilions -- Japan, China, etc. Probably the best dinners are in Japan & France. The cheapest one is in Mexico. Hope you have a great time.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Disney World Review

Since we live in Florida, we have visited Disney more times than I can remember, starting when our children were babies (and now are teens). Some time ago, I put together a list of things to do (and not to do) for friends who visit. I hope you find this to be helpful.

Disney World
    Disney World covers approximately 45 square miles (larger than most cities) and is comprised of four theme parks, twenty-plus Disney hotels, two water parks, five golf courses, and even some putt-putt courses. In addition, Downtown Disney has shops, restaurants, nightclubs, movies – and even a Cirque du Soleil. Once you set foot on Disney property, you never have to leave. Of course, that’s the entire idea.

There is no way you can “do” Disney in just a few days. To see it all would take weeks. But here are some helpful hints to help you see and do as much as you can in a short time frame.

1. Stay at an on-site hotel if you can. It will always cost more, but will be worth it from a time standpoint. Disney hotels range from mildly inexpensive to very expensive in costs, from standard rooms to suites to apartments. Each hotel is designed to have its own personality. If you have the time, visit some of the other hotels – especially at Christmas.
    2. You never have to use your car if you stay at a hotel on Disney property. The Disney transportation system is normally very efficient. However, you can still drive to the parks if you really want to and there is no parking fee for Disney guests (a little known fact). Check to make sure they haven’t changed this.
    3. Don’t sleep in. Get to the parks as early as you can each morning. The parks are much less crowded first thing in the morning.
    4. Take advantage of the “early bird” specials. Usually, one park is open one hour early each day for the “Disney hotel” guests only. They also do this is in the evenings as well – they keep a park open extra late for hotel guests only. The rides are much less crowded during these times. Find out about this as soon as you can and make your plans accordingly.
    5. Hit the very busy rides during the above non-peak times. Many times, you will be able walk right in without any waiting.
    6. Pace yourself. Taking a mid-day break is a good idea especially if you are staying on-site as you can easily & quickly return to your hotel. This way, you can avoid the heat of the day combined with the crowds. After you’ve rested, you can go back to the parks in the afternoon until closing time.
    7. Try not to switch parks during the day – it takes longer than you think.
    8. Use Disney’s Fast Pass as much as possible to avoid waiting in line. Just remember, you can only use one at a time.
    9. For quick bites/drinks, take some drinks and snacks in a back pack or purse. The rewards of better and cheaper food/drinks far outweigh the hassle.
    10. If you have a chance, visit the various hotels – especially those on the monorail or boat system. They are amazing and usually have great restaurants.
    11. Visit The Boardwalk area if you can. There is an ESPN Zone, where you can eat and watch the latest games on the big screen, along with plenty of other restaurants. The best ice cream at Disney across the lagoon over at the Beach Club.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Wow, thanks FoS. I will print that out. Great info!

14. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Magic Kingdom Review

Magic Kingdom is the original. Many of the smaller rides are lumped together in Fantasy Land (nicknamed Stroller Land)

Rides/Shows:
    Listed alphabetically with comments
    Astro Orbiter – Going in circles high in the air. Not worth the long wait
    Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm – Fun mini-roller coaster for little ones
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Really fun – one of their originals
    Buzz Light-Year’s Space Ranger Spin – Good fun for all
    Cinderella's Golden Carousel – for the little ones.
    Country Bear Jamboree – Sit, relax, and enjoy the show, especially when you need a break
    Dumbo’s Flying Elephant – For the little ones
    It's a small world – Recently revamped. The kids still love this
    Jungle Cruise – A little boring - pass if the line is long
    Liberty Square Riverboat – Pass – worse than the Jungle Cruise
    Mad Tea Party - Fun unless you get sick going around in circles
    Mickey's PhilharMagicA must see!! Use the Fast Pass since lines can be long
    Peter Pan's Flight - Good for the little ones
    Pirates of the Caribbean – Fun for all - cool inside too
    Snow White's Scary Adventures – Can be scary - avoid
    Space Mountain – Fun, fun - use a Fast Pass to avoid waiting
    Splash Mountain – You may get wet, so do not ride if it is cold. Get a Fast Pass and stand in line for the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which is the next ride over
    Stitch's Great Escape! – Do not waste your time - can be scary for the little ones
    Swiss Family Treehouse – Pass unless you want to walk up a really tall tree
    The Enchanted Tiki Room – Pass
    The Hall Of Presidents – Interesting for adults, but usually boring for kids
    The Haunted Mansion – Interesting & fun for all
    The Magic Carpets of Aladdin – Good for all – especially the little ones
    The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – Really fun ride. Smell the honey – no kidding
    Tom Sawyer Island – Not much to see. May create a break if everything else is crowded
    Indy Speedway – A fun ride for the little ones. Older kids may be disappointed that the cars aren't faster
    Transit Authority – When there’s nothing else to do and you need a break …
    Walt Disney World Railroad – Gets you to the other side of the park
    Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - Interesting, but may be boring for kids

Dining
    There are several nicer restaurants on Main Street, but normally busy and not cheap. There are several “fast food” places
    Casey’s Corner on Main Street has hot dogs. The ice cream store is across the street - very good
    Cosmic Rays is across from the Indy Motor Speedway. Many choices – soups, salads, burgers, etc. Always busy, but never takes too long
    The Harbour House near Frontier Land is seafood oriented
    Pinocchio in Fantasy Land is notbad, but filled with strollers
    Taco place near Pirates. Avoid or take Tums

Can’t Miss
    SpectroMagic Nightly Parade
    Christmas parade
    Fireworks Show over Cinderella’s Castle

15. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

MGM Studios

MGM Studios
    MGM is one of my favorite parks. It is less “ride” oriented with more shows and much better places to eat than the Magic Kingdom (a plus in my book). Here are my favorites.

Rides:
    · Back Lot Tour – Good for all.
    · Great Movie Ride – Good for the entire family. A history of the movies.
    · Rock’n Rollercoaster – My favorite coaster at Disney. The line might be long, so remember to use the Fast Pass. You may want to do this again and again.
    · Star Tours – A fun ride for all. You may need to use a Fast Pass. Try to do first thing or later in the day when the lines are shorter.
    · Tower of Terror – You are inside an elevator, which drops many, many stories down – not for the faint-hearted. Again, the line might be long, so use your Fast Pass. Or get the Fast Pass for the roller coaster and stand in line here – they are right next to each other. The line is a better “experience” than the rollercoaster.

Shows:
    · Beauty & Beast – More for the little ones – a really good show.
    · Drew Carey – Interesting – if you have the time.
    · Indiana Jones – A great show – worth seeing. No Fast Pass needed.
    · Journey Into Narnia – Short walk through of the recent movie. Cute, but don’t stand in line for this.
    · Lights, Motors, Action – A new, “do not miss” show. It is a lot of fun. There is usually no need to use a Fast Pass for this. Just get to the theatre early (a longer walk than it appears) for a good seat.
    · Muppet Vision – Another great 3D show – all will enjoy.
    · Playhouse Disney – More for the little ones.
    · Voyage of Little Mermaid – More for the little ones – a really good show though.
    · Who wants to be a Millionaire – You get to play the game like TV. Great for older kids.

Dining
    The restaurants are a lot better in MGM than in the Kingdom. The 50’s Prime Time Café is my favorite, but you may need to have reservations. You can either call ahead or just stop by earlier in the day. This is an old-fashioned diner with good comfort food. The waiters are a lot of fun and add to the experience.

There is Mama Melrose’s Italian Restaurant near Muppet Vision. I’ve only eaten there once, and not sure if I would recommend. At the high end, the Brown Derby is expensive, but very good.

The ABC Commissary is a good place – it’s cheaper and quicker here than the “sit down” restaurants. Also, the Backlot Express, behind Star Tours, has burgers, chicken, etc. If you are really in a hurry, there are quick bites across from Beauty & Beast. Lastly, there is Pizza Planet (from Toy Story) with mediocre pizza – pass on this choice… looks cool – high-priced mediocre pizza.

Can’t Miss
    “Fantasmic Show” with fireworks, lasers and more. You can buy a dinner package and have priority seating. Otherwise, you will probably have to get there early and have to wait about 30-45 minutes for the show. Don’t wait too late, the theatre is huge, but fills up quickly and you will want to have a good seat.
    They have a parade too, but not nearly as good as the Magic Kingdom. Hint: miss this parade and hit the rides while everyone else is watching the parade.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Epcot

EPCOT
    EPCOT is broken out into two parts: the front part that has most of the rides and exhibits and the back part, known as the country showcase. Remember that the countries do not open until 11 am each day. Here are my favorites --

Rides/Shows:
    · Circle of Life – Mainly for the little ones.
    · Figment of Your Imagination – Cute, only if you are there and nothing else to do.
    · Honey, I shrunk the audience – A cute 3D show. No Fast Pass needed.
    · Living Land Boat Ride – Normally a long line.
    · Mission Space – You might need a Fast Pass for thisride, though the lines are not normally as long as Test Track. This ride is like you are traveling in a spaceship. You will find it really cool or you will ride it only once (and wished you hadn’t). You will feel the G forces.
    · Soarin’ – The newest ride in the Land area and the lines will be long. Use a Fast Pass.
    · Spaceship Earth – A cool ride going up into the big ball (geosphere). A bit educational, as it goes through history of communication.
    · Test Track – The premiere ride. You will need a Fast Pass. One trick is to get in the “Singles” line and it will take about half the time waiting – you just can’t ride with your family members. Or get there first thing in the morning.
    · The Living Seas – Walking through an aquarium. Some find it interesting. Personally, I don’t get it. They do have a very good (and expensive) restaurant here.
    · The Universe of Energy – A fun ride with Ellen DeGeneres. No Fast Pass needed.

Countries to Visit
    It can take a while to visit all of the countries. Plus, it’s a long way around the lake – longer than it looks. All of the countries have shops & restaurants but only a few have “things to do.” While adults may like to peruse the shops, the kids usually want to move on to the rides.
    · Canada – They have a good 360 degree movie. The restaurant is good, but expensive.
    · China – They have a good 360 degree movie. Standard Chinese fare at the restaurant and outdoor café.
    · France – Another movie & a good pastry shop. They have an excellent French restaurant, though quite expensive (and reservations are normally needed).
    · Germany – Not much here. They have a good buffet lunch and dinner – all you can eat – if you like German food. Good German beer too.
    · Italy – Not much here. The restaurant is good, though on the high side.
    · Japan – Not much here. They have an excellent Japanese steakhouse, though not cheap.
    · Mexico – They have a short boat ride through Mexico. I’ve never eaten in the restaurant inside (supposed to be very good), but they have an outside diner. I have eaten there. Avoid.
    · Morocco – Not much here and never eaten here either.
    · Norway – They have a boat ride, which is better than the one at Mexico. There is an all you can eat buffet, but there is a lot of seafood and potatoes. The little diner is good (but a little different).
    · United Kingdom – Not much here; however, they usually have different bands playing – everything from the “Beatles” to a Scottish Highlander band. Plus, fish & chips and ale.
    · USA – They have a sit down show, which is a little weak. The restaurant is nothing more than burgers & chicken. Avoid. There are too many other good choices in Epcot.

Eating
    I recommend eating in one of the countries, which is much better than the food courts up front – which consists of hamburgers, etc. The exception is the Garden Grill food court located in The Land, which has a variety of really good food.

Can’t Miss
    “IllumiNations” fireworks/laser show is the best show at Disney. Get there early for a good seat around the lake.

Also, there is a Coke area near the fountains which provides free soft drinks (free!!) from Coke products around the world. I think this is the only free thing within Disney World. This is a fun thing to do – especially when you are thirsty. Let your kids try the soft drink from Italy.

17. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Animal Kingdom

Here is the last one...

Animal Kingdom
    The Animal Kingdom is the newest park. It started out with less rides, but they have continued to increase the things to do. The park starts out with plenty of animals to see at the front. Get here early if you want to see the animals. You probably don't need to spend a full day here.

Rides/Shows:
    · Conservation Station – This is a railroad trip down to the petting zoo and veterinary station. This takes some time, but may be worth it - especially if the little ones really like animals.
    · Dinosaur – A fun ride for all. Can be a bit jerky. Not for bad backs.
    · Expedition Everest – The newest roller coaster at Disney. A lot of fun!
    · Festival of the Lion King – Good singing/dancing show for all, especially the little ones.
    · It’s tough to be a Bug – A really fun 3D show. No need for a Fast Pass, as it is in a big theatre. Make sure you do this.
    · Kali River Rapids – A fun ride though you will probably get wet. Usually, there is no need for a Fast Pass, as the lines usually move quickly.
    · Kilimanjaro Safaris – The premiere ride at the park – riding in a jeep and seeing the animals on a safari ride. Get here early so you can avoid the lines and see as many animals you can. You may want to do this more than once, and you may need a Fast Pass.
    · Pangani Trail – A short walking tour, seeing various animals.
    · Primeval Whirl – A fun ride, but may need a Fast Pass due to long lines.

Eating
    The Rain Forest Café is at the entrance. The best two places inside the park are the Tusker House Restaurant near the Kilimanjaro Safari Ride or the Flame Tree Barbeque.

Can’t Miss
    No fireworks show due to the animals. The biggest “can’t miss” is the safari ride.
    If you have the time, you may want to eat dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is on the grasslands. There is a good buffet downstairs and it is reasonable (for Disney). After dinner, you can go out by the pool & find the park rangers. They have night goggles to see the animals.

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Wow FoS, this is exactly the kind of stuff I have been looking for. You should go into business :)

Thanks so much!

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow, a SBC pastor and family going to Disney?!?!? at Christmas of all times...hmmmmmmmmmm why I never :tonofbricks:

Nahhhhhh you know I am kidding, I think its a great place. I have been 2 times, but not at Christmas. My daughters are wanting to go really bad, maybe in a couple years we can go.

I hope yall have a great time Tater!

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm going to add a few personal comments about some of the rides. Take these for what they're worth.

Not fun for all, unfortunately. I like the Haunted Mansion and all of its corny jokes. However, my 9 year old was a little scared and my 5 year old came out crying. My 3 year old was riding with his mom and asked her to put her hands over his eyes. :laugh:

Wish we had spent the day here instead of most of a day at the Animal Kingdom.

I think I mentioned this one before, but in case I haven't, unless you like a lot of spinning, go through the green side.

This ride didn't justify the wait, IMHO.

It's a long enough ride that you can catch a bit of a catnap, like I did. :)

So much walking. Wow. Make sure you've got comfortable shoes on.

No probably about it, you will get wet. We went through it twice until a) my wife and I wanted to dry out and b) the line suddenly got very long. I hesitate to say this, but the ride is a bit of a letdown because it's not as good as it could have been. You'll know why I say that once you go through it.

Don't forget that you'll do a lot of walking at Animal Kingdom.

This is very cool and a don't miss.

BTW, did I mention all the walking you'll do at Animal Kingdom? :)

A bit? Just a bit jerky? I've never ridden a bucking bronco, but I bet it's a lot like this ride. IT'S ALSO VERY LOUD!! In all of DisneyWorld, this is my 2nd favorite ride after Space Mountain. Well, maybe 3rd after Splash Mountain. Ok, 4th after Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Of course, we didn't get to ride Expedition Everest or the Rockn' Rollercoaster. Oh, and I liked Mission Space at Epcot and Star Tours at MGM. :)