1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dispensation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by John3v36, Jan 26, 2006.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

If you are looking for the word Dispensation you will not find it but you will find the concept.
    the convent view point can not be found till the 3rd century.

A comparison of dispentional system of the Ante-Nicen Age:

Justin Martyr (100 - 165 AD) {Dialogue with Trypho}
    Enoch / Noah (Adam to Abraham) Chap 92; cf chap 27
    Abraham (Abraham To Moses) Chap 92; cf. chap 19
    Moses (Moses to Christ) Chap 92 cf. 43
    Christ (Christ to Eternal state?) Chap 23, 43, 45
    Millennium (Seventh millenary of years) chap 81; Frag 15

Irenaeus (120-202 AD) {Against Heresies}
    (3. 11. 8) Four Covenants (4. 9. 3)
    Adam to Noah (3. 11. 8; 4. 16. 2)
    Noah to Mose (3. 11. 8; 4. 16. 2)
    Moses to Christ (3. 11. 8; 4. 16. 2-3)
    Christ to Eternmal State? (3. 11. 8-9; 4. 9. 1-3)
    Millennium (Seventh millenary of years) (4. 16. 1; 5. 30. 4; 5. 33.2)

Tertullian (150-225 AD)
    An Answer to the Jews
    Adam - Chaps 2, 4, 5
    Noah - Chap 2, 4
    Abraham - Chap 2-6
    Moses Chap 2-6
    Christ (More faithful worshipers) Apology Chap 21
    Millennium Apology Chap 49

Tertullian (150-225 AD)
    Against Paxeas
    Adam - Chaps 16
    Noah - Chap 16
    Abraham - Chap 16
    Moses Chap 16
    Christ (More faithful worshipers) Ag.Marc. 3-4, 20
    Millennium- On the Res. 59,61

Not only the above but “Victorinus of Petau” (on the Creation of the world)

But above all Gods Word teaches it

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm pretty sure that "the word Dispensation "(sic) translated from "'oikonomia" is found in something we call the New Testament!
    Ed

3. wopik

wopik New Member

define 'dispensation', please.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dispensation: oikonomia [ οἰκονομία ] [ Greek ] Administration or stewardship, economy, oversight, ect. The root is from whence we get the medical and pharmaceutical term, 'dispense' as in drug dosage.

A workable 'theological definition' is one provided by Dr. Ryrie, if memory serves-

'A distinguishable economy in the outworking of God's purpose'

Paul speaks of 'the dispensation of the grace of God' and 'the dispensation of the fullness of times' specifically, and says the former is related to a mystery that was unknown in other 'ages' plural meaning at least two. I suggest that that may refer Biblically to the 'Age of Law', as in Mosaic Law, and one before Law, as in the days of Abraham. I am not giving blanket endorsement of anyone's 'scheme', per se, since most do not seem to give a lot of attention to "the fullness of times". I suggest that that is possibly the Millenial reign of Christ, but also may well refer to 'Eternity'. I dunno' on this. Anyone who seees a dictinction between the 'Age of Law' and the 'Age of Grace' is by definition a dispensationalist. They are clearly different 'economies' or 'administrations'.
    In His grace,
    Ed

5. wopik

wopik New Member

Jesus was a preacher of the Law. This is exemplified in His sermon on the Mount --- most of that sermon dealt with how tp keep the Law.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Meaning...?
    Ed

7. wopik

wopik New Member

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

9. wopik

wopik New Member

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

wopik, with all respect, what do the last three things have to do with a 'dispensation' i.e. administration, per se? Or are you saying there is no difference between God's administration when Jesus was on the earth, today, and when, say, David was living. I fully admit to being under all the law that Abraham lived under, for example. I make no distinction between some law that 'is in effect' today, with some law that 'is not in effect' today. No distinction, for James says whoever keeps the whole law yet offends in one point, he is guily of all.
    I'm not sure just what you are driving at, although I may have an idea.

And, BTW, are you really saying, obliquely, that you did not like or agree with the definition of 'dispensation' I gave?
    Ed