1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Distance learning

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by KeeperOfMyHome, Jun 15, 2001.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Hi folks ~ I would really like to go to college but as the mother of five children (3 of which are being homeschooled), but to go to school on a campus is near impossible.

A missionary friend of mine suggested Andersonville Baptist here in Georgia. However, I am open to suggestions.

One reason I am contemplating this is because one day it may be required that parents possess some sort of degree in order to homeschool. When I graduated high school, I had no desire to go, but now I would really like to further my education.

What about online courses?

Thanks for your input!

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

A lot would depend on what you are wanting to study. I would check out Liberty University at www.liberty.edu.
    They have a highly reputable distance ed program that is fully accredited (Which is very important) and very affordable (even more important) :D

3. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I took my D. Min. from Andersonville. I thought it would be easier for a full time pastor to avail myself of the "distance learning" program. Was I ever wrong! I worked harder than I ever did in any "on campus" program I was ever in, and had to budget my time in order to get everything done in a timely manner. It was a lot harder than I anticipated and I wouldn't do it again. If I ever get the itch to get more education I will avail myself of the summer session programs offered by many seminaries. However, if I ever get that itch, I would request somebody on the BB shoot me! :D

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Thomas Cassidy ]

4. KeeperOfMyHome

LOL DocCas! My main problem is that I don't have the time during the day to attend classes, and my husband works rather late into the evenings. And to pay someone to come watch five children while I take classes doesn't seem feasible at this time. However, I have considered that I might face the same problem that you did . . . precise time magagement!

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Liberty Baptist has one of the best, fully acreditted distance programs. I earned 18 credits with them before going to SEBTS.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I work with one, I would encourage anyone interested in distance ed to check out the program with a fine tooth comb.

Some schools give you actual tapes and texts from the classroom or work interactively on the net with you. Some have lots of credit for "work experience" or "life learning" which academically is shallow.

One evangelist came by with a D.Min by his name. I asked him how tough the school was (from Florida) and he moaned and groaned of how difficult it was "earning" the degree. When pinned down, he had to write 7 papers (10-12 pages each), paid $2000, and he "earned" the degree.

That is a sham. If you write a school and have questions, I am a willing resource who will give you an honest response. I would say that 90% of the distance programs are NOT credible.

p.s. Want a doctor's degree? Write and ask how you can EARN one with a gift of only $3000 from dilploma-mill.junk :rolleyes:

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

7. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Making sure the school is fully acredited is the surest safeguard.

8. Truthserum

Truthserum Guest

What do you want to do with your degree? If you want a secular job, I agree with the post from Liberty University. I also see a great deal of ad's on the net from Phoenix University, which is a fully accredited state university. If you want to learn for the sole purpose of knowing more about the Bible so that you can teach your children, Andersonville is a good school. Remember, full accreditation means that you will give up Bible specifics. I attended a fully accredited Baptist school and couldn't stomach the teachings. I thought that the school was liberal, but come to find out, they were just meeting the demands placed upon them to meet regional accreditation standards. As far as Liberty being affordable, that is a new one for me. The real sham is that you can go to a secular school to get a secular degree and it cost you pennies on the dollar compared to getting the same degree at a religious school. The reason for this is that the state subsidizes their schools. Therefore, to get a BS from a state school could cost you as little as $4000 (books and tuition at a Texas state school) where if you could find a "Christian" school for less than $15,000, we might have to have a discussion on miracles. Then, here is the irony. You are penalized financially for wanting a "Christian" education, yet the very secular world we are pandering to so that we can meet their requirements, most of the time still considers your degree from said institution as inferior. For example, you go to an accredited “Christian” school to get a BA in counseling. Because you are attending an accredited school, you are getting a "watered down" Bible program, yet, to you this is better than going to a state institution. You graduate with a $15,000 debt over your head. With diploma in hand, you head into the job market expecting to get a job, but the very fact that you went to a "Christian" school, counts against you. The human resources person went to a state school and was taught that all Christians are fools and they are only buying into trouble by hiring someone who is so strongly Christian as to go to school at a “Christian” college. I can't say that it always happens, but I can certainly say that it does happen. So, here is my opinion in a “nut shell”. If you are planning for a secular degree, i.e. going to work in the secular world, enroll in a state school and use their Internet campus. Many if not most schools have an Internet campus. If you want a degree to work in the "Christian field", then consider a school like Andersonville or let me recommend a very little known school called Patriot University. They have gotten a really bad rap, but their courses are academically superior to most I have seen. I learned a great deal from them and I can very honestly say that their courses were more challenging than many, if not most, of the courses I took from accredited institutions. I hope this helps.

9. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

I just enrolled with Andersonville.

TomVols- I'm about 1.5 hours from your area.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The oft stated notion that to be accredited is to somehow give up Biblical convictions is in large part a fallacy and a cop out. There are some accredited schools that are bad, but that's not because they're accredited. It's because they long before jettisoned confessional, Biblical doctrine. It has nothing to do with accreditation.
    Equally wrong is the assumption that because a school is not accredited, it is somehow not demanding. Columbia Evangelical SEminary is a good example of this kind of school (www.columbiaseminary.com).

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboMike:
    I just enrolled with Andersonville.

TomVols- I'm about 1.5 hours from your area.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know how it goes there. I've heard bad and good from there. And whereabouts are you?

12. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

Duffield Va

13. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I took some courses from Andersonville. Frankly, it's as Dr Bob says of some D.L. schools, a "diploma mill". The courses were not challenging, the cassettes were poor quality, and some of the professors had such deep southern accents you almost needed a translator! :eek: (I grew up in Ky, too!). I am just average as far as mental capacity goes, but I am convinced that any twelve year old could do well at ABS if he applied himself.
    Has anyone heard of Slidell Baptist Seminary in Louisiana, or Bible Way Institute of New England(D.L.)? Your opinions are appreciated.
    BTW, I too have heard that Liberty U. has an excellent D.L. program. :cool:

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: RevKevin77 ]

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: RevKevin77 ]

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

REVKEVIN,
    The best Baptist distance learning programs seem to be at Liberty University or Luther Rice Seminary. You can find each at www.liberty.edu or www.lrs.edu respectively.

15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While looking around on the Columbia Evangelical Seminary website, I found what I feel is an excellent article on Accreditation. It explains the basis and background of accreditation, as well as some practical suggestions on whether you need an accredited institution. It provides legitimate caution concerning institutions that claim to be FULLY ACCREDITED, but are not actually accredited by a recognized accrediting association. If you are not familiar with what accreditation really means, check this out.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Does anyone have any experience with Luther Rice Seminary?

Just curious.

17. KeeperOfMyHome

I want to thank all of you for your responses to my question. Please, keep your suggestions coming! The more informed I am, the better. I just know that at this point in my life I cannot go to a campus for classes. Not that I don't want to . . . just that the closest campus is about 45 minutes away. With 5 children, that's just not possible.

It's funny! When I first graduated from HS 16 years ago, I had no desire for more learning. I just wasn't the best student, and it would've been a disaster (and waste of money!) for me to have gone. However, over time, that has changed. Since I've been teaching my children, I have really developed a desire to learn and to know more! I would love to get a teaching degree, though I really am not in a position to take a job at this point in my life . . . neither do I desire to. I LOVE being at home with my babies! [​IMG]

My main goal in going back to school at this time is to be better equipped to teach my children, and to be ready in the case that the laws in Georgia require a BS degree in order to teach my own children. Also, if the Lord ever calls us to the mission field, I believe that this would be benefical.

Now . . . what about funding? [​IMG] Scholarships? Grants? Anyone care to contribute? LOL . . .

18. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

19. Mike G

Mike G New Member

20. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

Trinity Theological Seminary is another respectable distance education school.