1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Distance learning

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by KeeperOfMyHome, Jun 15, 2001.

1. lightkeeper

lightkeeper Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I designed and teach a couple of classes at Taylor University via their worldwide campus in psychology. Taylor is really focusing on having a first class distance program. Go to wwcampus.tayloru.edu to find out more information.

I took 12 hours of graduate coursework through Liberty's distance program. It was definitely high quality and well done.

Regional accreditation is an extremely important consideration in deciding where to attend. Regional accreditation helps keep you away from the diploma mills.

Like you, we are a homeschool family. So, I know money and time are probably not in abundance. My advice to you would be to start out taking a night course at a local community collge. You need to take something generic that will transfer to most BA programs (like freshman English comp). I taught night courses at a local community college for five years and had lots of Moms in there who were going back to school. Also, the tuition is as reasonable as you will ever see.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMeekins:
    Trinity Theological Seminary is another respectable distance education school.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have some personal experience with Trinity? I'd be interested in hearing about it.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I worked with Trinity in 1979-80 and completed a D.Min through their distance program.

They were one of the first University Without Walls schools - took a lot of cheap shots because of it. But far different than the "write-a-paper-or-two-and-you'll-'earn'-a-doctorate" that proliferate the modern landscape.

Seminary classes were taped and you receive lecture tapes and questions, guides, assignments. Joy of learning at your own speed in your own time frame. Required work face-to-face with thesis folks in my area. Required seminars/coloquium on campus in Evansville, IN, in the summer.

First rate class work. Some on-line work now. Not "Baptist" but about as "baptistic" as you could come (dispensational, fundamental, local church).

I have done other work in two other post-seminary programs, and am partial to Trinity for anyone looking for a good educational program.

Tell them, Dr. Bob sent you!

4. Joy

Joy New Member

Is Taylor the one that used to be called Fort Wayne Bible College? Do you have a link to that?

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

One note of caution: Trinity is not accredited, although I believe they are planning to apply for regional accreditation.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Are you asking about Trinity Theological Seminary or Trinity Evangelical Divinity School?

TEDS does have some DMin programs and is a very well respected school. It is EFree for the most part but they have a superb faculty (though some have recently left). Their DMin program can be done distance learning but the PhD is a resident program.

Trinity Theological Seminary I don't know much about though I have only seen their ads.

Which one are you talking about Dr. Bob?

7. artofstone

artofstone New Member

If cost is a problem, then with the strength of the U.S. dollar, consider doing distance ed through a university in another country (eg UK or Australia).

In Oz for example, ALL colleges which award a degree, D.Min, Ph.D etc MUST be accredited nationally. This means that the certain academic standards are met (you can't get a degree by sending a bit of money over like you can in the U.S.) and all students can apply for government financial assistance. Curriculum content is set by the individual colleges. I am not aware of 'interference' there - we have accredited theological colleges ranging from the reformed to the liberal, either independent, run by denominations or attached to universities.
    Ironic isn't it, this in the most secular country in the world which has no bill of rights or guaranteed freedom of speech :D

All you have to do then is find one which
    a. offers degree in your field of interest
    b. offers a degree that is recognized in your country (education may get interesting if you need to register as a teacher in your home state; many theological degrees are recognized internationally).
    c. roughly shares your philosophy.
    d. has a favorable exchange rate - but for a U.S. citizen that should be no problem!

You may have more options if you think internationally!

art

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    One note of caution: Trinity is not accredited, although I believe they are planning to apply for regional accreditation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh really? I hadn't heard about their plans to apply for regional accreditation. Tell me more about this.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: TomVols ]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    Are you asking about Trinity Theological Seminary or Trinity Evangelical Divinity School? Which one are you talking about Dr. Bob?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>TTS in Evansville, IN. Used to be at Emmanuel Baptist in Toledo, OH, as Toledo Bible College/Seminary until a move in the mid 70's. It is mostly for pastors who never went to seminary and its degrees are NOT the same ilk at TEDS.

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School is up in the Chicago area and is not baptist. It is a much repsected residential program; my former classmate Larry Oats, head of the Bible Department at Maranatha BBC just earned a doctorate from there. Tough. Rigorous.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Keeper,

I've taken both video and on-line courses. Trust me, if it's at all possible, you're better off taking classes on campus.

Distance classes are more work and more importantly, you don't get to ask the questions or get the interaction that makes up 90% of the learning experience.

Also, the websites are next to impossible to navigate.

My mother is a professor at Widener U., Rowan U. and Salem Community College in N.J.

She's trying to put together a distance class for her courses. Almost every student she interviewed is unhappy with the distance classes they're taking.

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

11. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

I am pursuing an MA in Apologetics/Philosophy through Trinity Theological Seminary, Evansville Indiana. It is by no means a slouch school. Their faculty is highly credentialled and adjunct professor John Warwick Montgomery is a renowned Christian author. Stephen Olford is also a renowned Christian scholar affiliated with the school. For my courses in Contemporary Apologetics, my assignments were graded by Dr. Donald DeYoung, a Christian scientist affiliated with Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis. The courses I have taken have also used key texts in the field such as "Understanding the Times" by David Noebell, ans works by Phil Johnson. And even though it's not "accredited" a few graduates of the school have obtained professorships.

Frederick Meekins
    American WorldView Dispatch http://americanworldview.tripod.com

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Frederick,
    Can you tell me more about these Trinity alum who have gained professorships?

13. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

You can contact Trinity Theological Seminary at http://www.trinitysem.edu/
    Dr. Ed Martin could provide the most accurate answers.

14. cbailey

cbailey New Member

I just enrolled in Andersonville's DMIN program. I am a bivo pastor, I teach fulltime, run a business and attend doctoral courses at a State Univ so I feel that Andersonville will suit my needs

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Niether Bethany or Trinity offer any Greek.