1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

diversity

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by steveo, Oct 8, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

How do you feel about all these diversity programs at the work place?
    It seems like its just a front for the gay movement at my work, since they have meetings with the gltb, and post gay day month, etc..
    I have no problem with race, women moving up etc, but I do have a problem with acting like being gay is the same as being afro american.

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not the same, but that's what the "conventional widsom" in our society is beginning to think. Just like they think abortion is a privacy and rights issue. Perfect proof of how the enemy deceives.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am opposed to them for several reasons.

First, they aren't really diversity programs. They don't promote the idea of respecting fundamental Christian opinions, viewpoints, and expression. In fact, these must be suppressed in the name of tolerance and diversity.

Second, they address a problem that doesn't exist for the most part. Few if any corporations would allow someone to act out discrimination against a gay employee in the work place. Homosexuals are not economically oppressed. For numerous reasons, they are above average in wealth. I have worked with several homosexuals over the years and have found that they typically don't make a big deal out of it so neither do those who oppose homosexuality.

I have seen just as many reports of companies discriminating against Christians as against homosexuals... in fact many more within the past few years. Tolerance is not a two way street for lefties.

Third, homosexual behavior is a choice just like heterosexual behavior is. People should be protected from discrimination based on benign characteristics such as race, origin, gender, etc. Behavior is an entirely different matter.

The election this year contrast this divide. If elected, Bush will be beholden to social conservatives who oppose the type of indoctrination you cited. If Kerry is elected, he will be even more beholden to the far left on social issues and may even try to pass laws requiring diversity training in various organizations.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

The company I work at already makes you go through training for diversity, I havent been yet since I am part time but someone told me they scare you about losing your job by talking about gays, etc... We are one of the biggest insurance companies in the world and they brag about the fact of being so diverse.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think there can be a place for them. However, I think they can be abused. The biggest problem, though, is that some groups who have had an implied secutiry will fail to make use of diversity programs to their benefit. For example, just as diversity programs can be sensitive to the needs of women inthe workplace, men should step up to the place to get diversity programs to be sensitive to the needs of men in the workplace. Likewise, Christians (of whatever denomination) should utilize the program to make people aware of the needs ot Christians in the workplace.

I have a workout buddy at the gym who works two blocks from me. He's a Jehovah's Witness. He was able to utilize diversity training (via his HR department) to address a problem with people taking the Lord's name in vain in the workplace. The issue, he tells me, has practically disappeared. If a JW can use the program to hsi benefit, certainly, mainline Christians can as well. After all, diversity in the workplace is not about everyone having a free-for-all, it's about professional respect for others in regards to non-work related parts of one's life.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

That's right. As long as self proclaimed murderers, rapists, thieves, liars, cheats, adulterers, exhibitionists and whatever else may be the latest culturally liberating freedom, don't bring those non-work related parts of their lives into my workplace, what do I care.