1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Division is GOOD!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do I? How would you know that? I have provided several threads on John 6:37-65 and none of which you have ever replied to. John 6:39 in its context exposes your gospel as completely false. The Father entrusted the Son to carry out His will that "OF ALL" that had been given unto him by the Father that he "SHALL LOSE NOTHING".

Your doctrine, or gospel flatly contradicts these words and these words are placed in a context that explicitly deals with the possibility of true children of God losing salvation.

Very well, I do include them. I include all who preach "another gospel" that the bottom line is ultimate justification by works. Isn't that precisely how you interpet Rom. 2:6-13???? Don't you include saved people in Romans 2:6-13??? Do you find anything other than the Law and works in Romans 2:6-13???? Don't you interpet Romans 2:6-13 exactly as does the SDA???

You make "good" works part of the cause of justification by making the "necessary" according to an unbiblical standard called "characterized" instead of the Biblical standard of "sinless perfection." Thus by your standard those like "Lot" can only be concluded to be lost whereas Peter says he was "righteous" according to the Biblical standard.

#41 The Biblicist, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ok back to basics it is.

We all know that God is "all knowing". The Judgment seat of Christ in 2Cor 5:10, the Judgment in Romans 2:11-16, the Judgment of Dan 7:9-12 is not a case where "God finally figures something out".

God is .... all knowing.

So circling back to "yes but God is all knowing" does not delete the point of these texts. Thus as Christ demonstrates in Matt 7 the fruit is how the saints will be known (will be seen to be good trees - producing good fruit).

The corporate setting for judgment that you see in Daniel 7 - is not for God's personal benefit. It is not so He can finally take the time to figure something out.

That was the "given" at the start.

Christ is the one in John 15:1-5 and in Matt 7 and in Romans 2:5-16 that tells us that the person is judged based on those fruits in that future judgment.

Your argument is "with the text".

But this is not a case of the lost "Becoming saved" - rather the future judgment is a case of the lost "shown" to be lost and the saved "shown to be saved" - by the rule of Matt 7. By the rule of Romans 2:6-16. By the rule of 2Cor 5:10 - by the Rule of 1John 2:4-9.

By their fruits you shall know them.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Baptist Confession of Faith shows that the TEN Commandments are the MORAL Law of God - given to all mankind in Eden and written on the heart as part of the New Covenant.

It contrasts this to the civil laws and ceremonial laws that are only applicable to the theocracy of Israel or to a time before the cross.

Interesting - however the unique nature of the moral law is well defined by the BCF in both of its forms and it points distinctively to the Ten Commandments as central to that moral law - written on the heart (and so often railed against).

There is not one single text of scripture saying that rebellion against the Law of God - merely gets you "less toys in heaven".

I think we both know that.

"The wages of sin is death" according to Paul in Romans 6:23. -- not "less toys in heaven".

And John reminds us in 1John 3:4 "sin is transgression of the law".

He also tells us in 1John 2:3-9 that those who claim to know and love Christ and yet who do not keep His Commandments - are in fact lying.

This goes well beyond "get less toys in heaven".

in Christ,

Bob

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. - Mt. 5:19

Both are "in" the kingdom of heaven and the only difference is between "least" and "greatest" not saved and lost.

Why quote only HALF of Romans 6:23? There are two final contrasts. One is a free GIFT while the other is WAGES. The WAGES of the sins by believers has been PAID IN FULL and that is why the believer is "DEAD" to the Law - Rom. 7:1-5 and shall not come into condemnation - Jn. 5:24.

Correct! But we are talking about the PENALTY not the definition of sin. When Christ said "IT IS FINISHED" the Greek term literally means "PAID IN FULL."

Correct! that is what distinguishes between true and false professors - 1 Jn. 2:19. True believers "no doubt" continue.

Your problem is that you must still admit that the works of Christians do in fact determine what you called "toys" or rewards in heaven.

5. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Most all points of interpretation made by Bib are incorrect. I would stick to reading Bob or what Thomas have to say on the matter.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, he is describing how LOST FALSE PROPHETS can be known. The Saved are known by the FOUNDATION their "house" (life) is built on. There is no difference between the self-righteous "house" (Mt. 7:22) and the house of the righteous - IT IS THE FOUNDATION that is different.

There is a difference between the resurrection of the righteous and that of the wicked. The righteous are raised from the grave GLORIFIED before they stand before the Lord to be rewarded in heaven.

Your mixing apples with oranges again. Romans 2 is not Christ speaking but Paul and saints have no part of that text except in your imagination.

:laugh:

You are simply ignoring both context and rational thinking.

1. PERSONS of context - 2:15; 2:17-25 - lost self-righteous hypocrits
    2. PRINCIPLES of context - 2:17-25 - What is required for just judgment

The saved already know they are saved - Jn. 5:24; 1 Jn. 5:13
    Christ already knows his sheep - Jn. 10:28-30
    Matthew 7 is about self-righteous hypocrits
    Romans 2:6-16 is about self-righteous hypocrits
    1 Jn. 2:4-9 by you own admission is about Liars

7. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Bob.

2Corinthians 5:10 says that the Christian will be judged according to what he has done in his pilgrim days on earth - good or bad.

1Corinthians 3:10-15 says that some Christians will be saved only as by fire. They do not have much of a building we see.

2Timothy 2:20 is speaking of the heavenly house that the Christian will be clothed with (2Cor. 5:1-2). It says that there are some vessels for honour, others to dishonour.

The Christian is the vessel of the heavenly house. The Christian is a "lively stone" (1Pet. 2:5, KJV).

We can see therefore, that there will be ranks, or better rewards for some Christians than others, based on the way they have conducted their pilgrimage on earth.

Also, here is some Iranaeus :):

[They say, moreover], that there is this distinction between the habitation of those who produce an hundred-fold, and that of those who produce sixty-fold, and that of those who produce thirty-fold...and that was on this account the Lord declared, “In My Father’s house are many mansions.” (Joh_14:2)

Against Heresies, Book 5, Chap. XXXVI, 2.​

I agree with Iranaeus, that there is a different place, or reward at least, for those who bear a hundredfold, sixty, or thirty (Mt. 13:23).

#47 Jope, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  8. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Biblicist. How familiar are you with dispensationalism? Do you know who Lewis Chafer is?

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Very familar and yes I know who Chafer is. I am not a hyper-dispensationalist. I do make a distinction between Israel and the church and I do believe in the future salvation of "all Israel" as a nation. However, I believe the same gospel of grace was preached prior to Calvary as after and people were saved exactly the same way before as after.

I make a distinction between the PUBLIC administration of the old and new covenants versus PERSONAL salvation under the "everlasting covenant." The PUBLIC old and new covenants had to do with revealing the gospel by PUBLIC ordinances, a PUBLIC ministry, through a PUBLIC house of God and were for PUBLIC service by God's people. The old PUBLIC covenant administration anticipated the cross through its PUBLIC ordinances with emphasis on the Law while the new PUBLIC covenant administration anticpates the Second Coming from a fulfilled cross. Neither Public administration obtains salvation for anyone as that has always been through the PERSONAL administration of the everlasting covenant by the Holy Spirit in all ages since Genesis to Revelation (Heb. 13:20).

10. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Biblicist, I understand that that sounds pretty unsound to say that there are two gospels. What might immediately come to mind is Paul's statement in Galatians, that there is no other gospel than the gospel of grace (Gal. 1:7).

However, how do we compensate for the fact that the apostles knew nothing of Christ's death and resurrection (Luke 18:31-34), while they were preaching the gospel of the kingdom (Matt. 10:7; 11:5; Luke 9:6)?

Luke 18 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    31 And taking the twelve, he said to them, “See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished. 32 For he will be delivered over to the Gentiles and will be mocked and shamefully treated and spit upon. 33 And after flogging him, they will kill him, and on the third day he will rise.” 34 But they understood none of these things. This saying was hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was said.​

I therefore believe that there are at least two gospels: the gospel of the kingdom (Matt. 4:23; 9:35; 24:14; Mark 1:14), and the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24). What Paul is saying in Galatians is that there is no other gospel, than the gospel of the grace of God, to be preached during this present dispensation.

The everlasting covenant of Hebrews 13:20 was not made with Adam.

This everlasting covenant was made with blood. In Hebrews 9 we read, that "where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives" (v. 16-17, NASB). The everlasting covenant was made after Christ died. Seeing as it was when Christ died that the blood sacrifice was made. From the point that the covenant was made onward it is everlasting.

#50 Jope, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  11. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...And Matthew 5:19, that teaches that rank in the kingdom is based on teaching and doing "these commandments" (ESV), could be speaking of commandments that are not placed on the Church.

In the same sermon, we read that Mosaic altar doctrine is to be kept (Mt. 5:23-24). This sermon evidently was preached to a people different from the Church, who is not under the law (Rom. 6:14-15).

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I scarcely know where to begin in reply to your multitude of falsehoods and misrepresentations.

The John 6 passage taken in its clear context, along with other passages that have been pointed out, clearly exposes your opinion as completely false. No one and no church prior to Calvin believed as you do. Your doctrine is a johnny-come-lately man-made invention by deterministic fatalists. It is a doctrine which not only has no basis in scripture or the first 1500 years of the church, it is a doctrine which totally misrepresents Who God is.

It is a complete and total lie that I hold to justification by works.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

The first part of your sentence is NOT what OSAS opponents believe. The second part of your sentence is not only false but illogical, as well.

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And the reason Biblicist is incorrect is because he starts with a false premise of Who God is, a premise based on a deterministic fatalism unknown in scripture or the church for 1500 years.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, absolutely no substance in your responses! Accusations galore but no substance. Can't you deal with scripture exegetically or expositionally? Perhpas you have no language background, but even so, why not even attempt to to an expositional response if I am jerking things out of context?

Don't reply that you already have because I HAVE NEVER EVER READ of such a response ANYWHERE by you of this passage. Point it out, repeat it, do something other than just assert empty unproven accusations!

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Another philosophical response but completey EMPTY of Biblical substance. You do real fine at making unstantiated accusations but I have yet to read any response by you that has an exegetical or expositional based response! Are you incapable of such?????

I am not going to join you in simply exchanging insults and accusations. If you have any kind of Biblical abiltiy show it by providing contextual based responses with some kind of substance.

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There are many contextual based reasons why this theory cannot be true. However, this is not the thread to address those issues. If you would like to discuss your idea then open a thread up and I will be glad to discuss why I do accept that intepretation of the Sermon on the mount.

19. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, but you gave no answer to my question...

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True and Romans 6:23 says that the reward for bad deeds is death -- John calls it the "lake of fire" in Rev 20. And in Romans 6:16-23 we see the contrast between eternal life and death - based on deeds.

So also in Romans 2:6-16 - the contrast between life and death and how that relates to the deeds done in the body is explained in triplicate.

In 1Cor 3 it is the teaching that goes through the fire - not the person.

2 Tim 2:20 says nothing at all about vessels of dishonor going to heaven.

Details matter in this case
    ===============================

2Tim 2

15Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”
    20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
    22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

as with Romans 2

3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:

7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;

10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

Nothing at ALL in their about "more or less toys" in heaven. The frivolous Bible that many imagine to be there - simply does not exist.

in Christ,

Bob