1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Division is GOOD!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 13, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed - teaching more law breaking does not get you very far with God.

It is more than a little "obvious" that you do quote much at all from Romans 6 while supposedly your entire argument above is that you think Romans 6 would help your "more toys vs less toys" in heaven theme.

Let's see just how 'unhelpful' Romans 6 is to your "less toys in heaven for the wicked" idea.

As in all of your arguments so far - the more Bible we bring in - the faster your claims crash and burn.

================

Romans 6

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
    16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
    17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
    20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
    21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
    22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
    23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

===================

The contrast is obviously between the works of obedience vs the works of sin and the wages of sin is death "not less toys in heaven" according to Paul in Romans 6 - given to those who are "under grace" and not under law as a system for gaining salvation.

So to the very group that you "claim" should only be instructed about more or less toys in heaven - Paul preaches heaven vs hell in regard to their "deeds".

Why in the world you asked to have more of Romans 6 in the discussion as if it would help your speculation about more or less toys in heaven - is beyond me. What in the world were you thinking?

in Christ,

Bob

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Indeed, both are "in" the kingdom and the one breaking the law is only "least" NOT LOST. You are proved wrong again.

Your problem is that the scriptures clearly teach that there are rewards IN heaven for believers and our works is the basis for it - 1 Cor. 3:13-15.

You introduced Romans 6 not I - remember!

================

ONe must be "UNDER" the Law to be judged by it and condemned by it and Paul says we are NOT under the law because we are "dead" to the Law - Rom. 7:1-5

So your whol argument collapses with the very first verse you choose to quote from Romans.

Christians have been made FREE FROM SIN. Bob put your thinking cap on for a moment. In what sense have Chrisitans been MADE FREE FROM SIN? He is talking about JUSTIFICATION through the death of Christ not sanctification as you are trying to prove! The unjustified false professor is NOT MADE FREE FROM SIN!

Verse 20 is their previous LOST and UNJUSTIFIED condition. Verse 19 by contrast is speaking of a person with TWO natures. The "infirmity of your flesh" refers to that aspect of their unregenerate nature that is not only subject to death, a servant of sin, but where the law of sin resides (7:18). This is their "members" or what Paul identifies as "the flesh" in Romans 7:14-25. "Yield" has to do with submission to the indwelling Spirit as the only way to live the Christian life.

Their previous unregenerated, unjustified state, IN ADDITION TO their present condition of "the flesh" which will die and is subject to death and where the law of sin still rules and reigns and will until death.

You can't understand Romans 6 apart from Romans 7-8. Again, notice the phrase "MADE FREE FROM SIN" and "BECOME SERVANTS TO GOD" which refers to their justified and regenerate condition but not to their "flesh" which NEVER has been made free from sin but still "serves sin" (Rom. 7:25)

Second notice "YE HAVE fruit unto holiness" but not in their "flesh" as the flesh has the fruit of death reigning in it and is "this body of death" (Rom. 7:24) where sin still rules and reigns COMPLETELY - Rom. 7:24-25.

The "END" of what has been made FREE FROM SIN where the fruits of holiness is not "the flesh" or their unregenerate nature where the "law of sin" resides and works and will suffer death as the wages of sin is death.

Paul has introduced the dual condition of the saint in Romans 6 where the battle resides within the saint. The redeemed nature has been made FREE from sin and it is in the new inward man where the fruit of holiness abides. The lost man has NOTHING to yeild to God as the unregenerated man is a servant to sin and has never been made free from sin and is under the law.

The man in Romans 6 is a regenerated justified man WITH A FALLEN NATURE, and that FALLEN NATURE or "members" or "the flesh" is not made free from sin, is a servant of sin and will suffer the wages of sin but not so with the new inward man. Hence, the justified/regenerated man is a partaker of both life and death. When he lives in the Spirit he experiences life after the inward man, when he fails to "yield" his "members" to the power of the indwelling Spirit he experiences present death. His old man, outer man, the flesh, His members WILL NOT ESCAPE death - Rom. 7:14-25.

Only that aspect of the unregenerated man is under sin, and under the law and thus under the wages of sin which is death - "this body of death."

However, the aspect of the regenerated man is MADE FREE FROM SIN and not UNDER THE LAW

There is no "system of gaining salvation" in Romans 6 but a declaration that the justified/regenerated man is NO LONGER UNDER THE LAW, NO LONGER UNDER SIN, and thus NO LONGER UNDER DEATH.

However, this is not true for that unregenerated aspect of their human nature. It has NEVER been made from from sin and never will as it will die. It has never been made free from death as it will die. It never will have any other fruit but sin an death.

Romans 6 simply introduces and summarizes what Paul will break down and give further explanation to in Romans 7 versus Romans 8.

No "hell" mentioned in this chapter! The contrast is between life and death. Life is a "gift" only "death" is wages. There is no wages of death for the unregenerated aspect of man. There is no wages of death for that aspect MADE FREE from sin. The flesh ("members") have NEVER been made free from sin, NEVER given eternal life and that is where DEATH still reigns in our human nature and the wages will be paid in "this body of death" - Rom. 7:24

However, there is no FINAL CONDEMNATION because we are "dead" to the law, no longer "under the law" but under grace - Rom. 7:1-5. The Law can only condemn to death what is under the law, and under sin.

I didn't! You were the one that inserted Romans 6 into this discussion by quoting Romans 6:23. Romans 6:23 is placed in a context that deals with the justified man in respect to his dual nature. Your problem is that the phrases "free from sin" and "not under law" only applies to the regenerate nature of man not his "flesh" or "this body of death" where the "law of sin" continues to rule and reign and will unto physical death. Paul's response to this internal aspect of sin is to "yeild" their "members" to God the Holy Spirit in order to EXPERIENCE life here and now. Death can be experienced by the child of God here and now whenever they fail to "yeild" their members to the indwelling Holy Spirit. Death will be the wages of their "members" and nothing a child of God can do to change that.

BOTTOM LINE: You have admitted to believing in "a system of gaining salvation" by works.

#62 The Biblicist, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

When all the semantics are removed the bottom line is that the gospel preached by SDA, Rome, Methodism, Lutheranism, Mormon's, etc. is "a system of gaining salvation by works which by its very wording is opposed to the gospel of grace (Rom. 11:6; Eph. 2:8-10).

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul describes their and our current state in Christ, as persons redeemed, set free to serve the Lord out of love and gratitude, by the person empowering us, the HS...

The passages that you keep referring too aree NOT concerned with how should asaint live in order to get/keep saved, but in order to being moremolded into image of Jesus, to have us realise that even saved we fail to obey God as we ought in human flesh and efforts, ONLY by the HS empowering us can we live for God!

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

#65 Thomas Helwys, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Join me? You are the initiator of such. I simply refuse anymore to get down in the mud with you. For some, mud is a natural habitat. For me, it is not. I simply have allowed myself to get dragged down into it but am determined not to let that happen again. So, continue your wallowing in the mud. Perhaps you think it helps your complexion.

As to my ability, linguistic or biblical, I could post transcripts of my collegiate career to you by PM, but I have no desire or need to do so.

#66 Thomas Helwys, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Steaver, you are a good guy, and I believe you are one with whom I could have an intelligent, civil, and fruitful discussion, based on our prior exchanges and on my reading of your other posts, but sometimes one gets weary of answering the same question over and over. So, please don't be offended, but I don't see the point in addressing this yet again.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Again, why did you not include General Baptists and Free Will Baptists in your disparaging list?

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You offer no Biblical responses and now proceed to personal insults. You have NEVER ONCE offered any Biblical based response to any of my threads on John 6 and the evidence is available for all to verify as they can look on all four threads and you can't be found.

Look at my last post on John 6 concerning "cometh to me" being equal to believe and NONE have attempted to address the contextual based evidence I have prevented -NONE! Why? Because they know they must deal with contextual based evidence, not opinions, not ridicule, not empty philosophical substance but hard contextual facts.

Bob Ryan is the only person on this forum who has at least attempted to go toe to toe with me. I compliment him for at least trying. However, his arguments simply contradict hard contextual based evidence. On the other hand you have not even attempted. Why? Is it because you are lacking the education in language and grammar and hermeneutic skills? That is a question, not an accusation. If you simply don't have the ability that is one thing, however, surely you have some expository skills????

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I include all who reject eternal security of true born again believers. They are preaching "another gospel" and Galatians deals with the heart of the gospel found in the doctrine of justification by faith.

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why thank you!

Once upon a time, about 15 years ago, I heard there was a debate over what was called OSAS ( I had only been studying the bible for about a year at this time). So I dug into the scriptures, listened to both arguments, read several commentaries pro and con. Wrestled with it for about 18 months, studying the subject most everyday, very thoroughly. Each side made some good points, however, when it came right down to the passages which actually spoke specifically about salvation, for me the evidence swayed heavily towards OSAS. It boiled down to regeneration/born of God/new creation.

And then there was this burning question which you see in my signature. No one has ever been able to give me an answer.......

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You see, being born of God means you personally know Jesus Christ is in you. The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Jesus Christ dwells in you and you know it. He never leaves, ever! You may say, "but I can leave Him". How? You have been born of God, two have become one, a new creation, a new heart, a spirit made alive to and in Jesus Christ.

Even when I went down a road of deliberate sin for ten years, I never once said "I know longer believe in Jesus Christ". How could I? He was constantly telling me to knock it off! But I pushed Him aside, wanting my own way. Some will say, "well, you really wasn't saved then if you resisted His will". WRONG! But I will tell you this, If I would have listened better, I would have saved myself a lot of grief. But He is faithful, and He allowed me to reach brokenness, and I repented and fully devoted my life to serving Christ in 1998.

I received Jesus Christ in 1973, I was ten, I have never stopped believing in that which I have a personal knowledge of is an absolute truth. :jesus:

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And then when I got into the debate boards and began taking the side of OSAS I was called a Calvinist. So then I had to go find out what a Calvinist was :laugh:

Turns out, I found out through much debate boards that there are five types of Calvinist, well six counting the hyper-Calvinist, who knows, maybe there are more idk, I am called a one pointer Calvinist, I only hold the P in TULIP. :tongue3:

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I enjoyed reading your testimony and your practical response to Thomas. I believe you are right that it is impossible once you have been brought into spiritual union with God by direct revelation to your soul that He is both your Christ and Savior that you can ever stop believing (except due to disease to the brain) as Chrisitanity is a thinking man's religion. Indeed, the ability to walk in the Spirit is a MENTAL determination to yeild to the Spirit joined with faith in his power to deliver you.

Those who deny OSAS ignore those texts that directly deal with the issue of loss of salvation by truly born again persons but flee to texts that are designed to distinguish the born again from those who merely make a verbal confession and reformation of life instead a transformation by new birth that is evidenced by profession and a variety of different types of fruit.

They also do not understand progressive sanctification as the maturing process which takes in time and circumcstances, failures and victories in a never ending process of ups and downs in this current life. The manifestations of progressive sanctification can differ between true children of God as great as 30 fold is different from 100 fold in the fourth and only "good" soil/heart of the parable of four soils - three false professors and one true born again believer.

The new birth has given the child of God a NEW HEART as part of his nature and there is no escape from that new nature as it is inseparably part of you now by new birth.

#74 The Biblicist, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Division is good and healthy and spiritual.

Mt. 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

2 Cor. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you

Joh 7:43 So there was a division among the people because of him.

Ac 14:2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren.

Ac 14:4 But the multitude of the city was divided: and part held with the Jews, and part with the apostles.

Ac 17:6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;

Ac 24:5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes:

Lu 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake.

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is more than a little "obvious" that you do quote much at all from Romans 6 while supposedly your entire argument above is that you think Romans 6 would help your "more toys vs less toys" in heaven theme.

Let's see just how 'unhelpful' Romans 6 is to your "less toys in heaven for the wicked" idea.

As in all of your arguments so far - the more Bible we bring in - the faster your claims crash and burn.

================

Romans 6

15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
    16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
    17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
    20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
    21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
    22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
    23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Matt 5 says "least" Matt 7 says "lost".

Matt 5 says "least" - Romans 6 says "lost".

Matt 5 says "least" - 1John 2:3-9 says "lost".

Matt 5 says "least" - 1Cor 6 says "lost".

your argument is "with the text" as it explains that Matt 5's "least" is in fact "lost".

Matt 5 days not say that those who are at war against God's Law will be in heaven - it says that they will be called "least" by those who are in heaven.

in Christ,

Bob

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Neither text says "lost"! You cannot find the word "lost" in either text but you place it in quotations equal with "least." Like your prophetess you just add to scripture what you like without any scrupples.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

In different places I have addressed the issues regarding John 6, and you are lying like a cheap WalMart rug if you say I haven't. If I don't answer you directly but instead answer the same issue in response to someone else, it's because I try not to lie down with dogs.

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

The trouble for you is that your doctrine was invented by a 16th century state churchist persecutor and murderer and was unknown before then. And you have the gall to choose "Biblicist" as your screen name.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thank you for the information on how you came to your position. It helps to know such.

About your signature: How do you suppose Lucifer in heaven and Adam in the garden were able to do so?