1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce and remarriage AND women's ministry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Liz Ward, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

I wonder if anyone would care to help me with these issues? I am doing a theology degree and I have 2 x 1500 word essays to do, purely from 1 Corinthians, on these subjects.

My own views on this are clear but I need to present and evaluate alternative views. In particular I am looking for sources to cite for the most conservative views on these issues. So -

Could anyone refer me to a website (these have to be in by 31st March so it will have to be a website rather than a book), or is anyone here prepared to support, and be quoted as supporting, one or both of the following views?

1. That remarriage after divorce is not permitted under any circumstances until the original spouse has died.
    2. That woman in the church are not allowed to take any verbal part at all in any mixed gathering for worship.

I would also be interested to hear of any intermediate views on either of these subjects.

I am in the UK and the essay will only be presented to tutors at Midland Bible College http://www.midbible.ac.uk but I do need to be able to cite every view I quote (which is a pain!)

Thanks in anticipation

Liz

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

1. There is no Scripture that strictly forbids remarriage until the original spouse has died. Scripturally, Paul said to those who who were not just widowed, but unmarried as weel to marry if they could not contain. Paul spoke of letting an unbelieving spouse depart, so I cannot see why some remarriages are not ok.

Matthew 5:32 (KJV) But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

There are the guidelines Jesus gave... Jesus was speaking there of marrying one who had been divorced because of fornication commits adultery. He was not strictly forbidding remarriage if one had divorced one who had committed fornication.

2. Women speaking in the church was also only a personal preferrence of Paul. Throughout Scripture, we see God using women to proclaim the Gospel beginning with Deborah. One can say Eve, but she added to the Gospel that which God didnot say.

Anna the Prophetess was the one who blessed Jesus when Mary and Joseph brought Him to the synagogue after His birth.

Four women prophesied in Acts 20 and were not reprimanded. One may argue that the women prophesied in the home of their father and not in Church, but we must remember in that day, there were home churches.

Women preaching are not usurping authority over a man if the Word they are preaching lines up with the Word of God.

Women can preach, but they are not allowed to pastor, as the pastor must be the husband of one wife, not the wife of one husband.

Hope that helps some...
    Ward

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I'm not going to weigh in on these topics, but, noticing that you are in Huddersfield, I wanted to ask if you by any chance know the New North Road Baptist Church thgere? My late father-in-law (Eric C. Rust) served as its pastor way back in the 1940's.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm sorry the title says women's ministry and I don't see anything in the op about that.

5. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Yes I do know it. It's not my church though. Small world!

Liz

6. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Verbal participation in the service equals ministry in my book.

Liz

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Was that the Eric Rust who was a philosopher prof?

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Yes -- served several pastorates in Britain, emigrated to the US in the early 1950's to teach at SBTS in Louisville. Wrote 14 books on philosophy of religion and related subjects, died in 1991. My wife is the oldest of his three children.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In I Corinthians 11, Paul continues his discourse on how to behave in a church context. Here, particularly how to behave when it assembles. He gives this advice:
    In v. 4, men should not pray or prophesy (preach) with their head covered.
    In v. 5, women should not pray or prophesy with the heads uncovered.

I take this to mean that woman can pray aloud, even lead in prayer in a worship service. Call it verbal participation.

Does your church have a choir, where most of the singers are women? Verbal participation.

Do women sing in small groups, or sing solos during the service? Verbal participation.

Has a woman ever given a testimony in the worship service to the glory of God? Verbal participation.

Carried to the extreme, would you forbid women from participation in congregational singing? Nah, didn't think so.

The only proviso for women praying or prophesying in a worship service is that their heads be covered.

Now, is that covering her hair, or must it be something else? Have at it.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

ohh, I thought you meant actual women's ministry.
    Verbal participation when? Sunday school? Or the actual service?

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

Good points, Tom...

And might I add this thought concerning women speaking in Church.

Women must have been allowed to pray in Church. Else Eli would not have thought Hannah drunk when her lips moved but he heard no voice.

Audible praying was expected.