1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce and remarriage - Part II

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting discussion on Divorce on remarriage.

I would like to look at this from a different perspective:

A.) A couple are married -than later divorce - neither party re-marries -
    later they reconcile - is it Biblical for them the re-marry
    Should they get re-married?

If they did re-marry - would the husband be permitted to become a pastor

B) A couple decided to divorce - before salvation and re-marry other partners.
    After salvation they are convicted that the remarriage is not Biblical -
    Should they divorce their current spouse and remarry the original spouse?
    Would it make a difference if children were produce thur the second marriage ?

A former pastor of mine once said - if the goverment divorces a couple -then only the govt shoud
    perform a re-marriage. Another words, the pastor said he would never officiate over a second marriage.
    Do you agree with this pastor?

Open for discussion

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for expanding this discussion. I believe the answer is Yes Yes to this question.

This is a difficult situation. I believe only death breaks the marriage bond. And divorce only separates married couples. But I think what Jesus said about leaving your spouse, children and all for the Kingdom enters into this. I see it more like any family where the parents are separated but the kids, the former wife, and former husband all remain as much a family as possible. The heathen do this every day.

I think he is right and courageous given today's climate.

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandparents were divorced twice and remarried to one another three times - both never married anyone else. The last marriage was in a nursing home in their 80s.
    'I Do' Has a Familiar Ring, So Does Valentine Bride

In my opinion, the question of pastoring is "no." We greatly err when we reduce the qualifications of a pastor down to being "the husband of one wife." The fact that he is divorced at all would indicate that there is trouble in his home. There is no longer a "good report of those who are without." Very possibly he is no longer "blameless."

For the record, there is much more that would disqualify a man from pastoring than just the marriage issue.

#3 Pastor_Bob, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would depend on the grounds for the divorce.

Again, it would depend on the grounds for divorce. If it was not for adultery they are still married in God's eyes.

I agree with Bob. We have adopted the liberalism of the world regarding divorce/remarriage.

In our culture divorce is rampant, and we have to deal with it. But we must not compromise our convictions.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Yes, the couple should be remarried, if both of them admit was wrong to have divorced, and now know that it will be til death do them part, and the husband is still husband of 1 wife, so should pastor if called and qualified by God!

B No, God sees them now established in their new marriages, and would not force them to split asunder what he has now joined
    And if neither was saved before, but now both are saved , why not marry them?

• Agree Agree x 1