1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce in the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zenas, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The Bible tells us a lot about divorce. In the O.T. we learn of the various laws pertaining to divorce. In the N.T. Jesus and Paul both teach extensively on the subject. But is there any instance in the Bible where we read about specific people getting divorced? I can't recall any but then I could be overlooking something. Does anyone know for sure?

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

The Samaritan woman Jesus met at the well had either been divorced or widowed five times. And it seems she was living with a man outside marriage at the time. I have always gotten the strong impression she had been divorced many times.

John 4:16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
    17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
    18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Joseph came real close to divorcing Mary.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ezra proclaimed that, in order to be obedient to God, the Israelite men had to divorce their foreign wives in Ezra 10

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

It would seem that Jesus' views were that men and women should enter into marriage as if divorce were not an option, two becoming one. As such we should not think of a "biblically sanctioned" divorce. It does seem however, according to Paul, that there are cases, when one party has vacated the commitment that divorce is permissible for the other. But this is not the way God intended it.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO divorce, period.
    But of course, man will always do the opposite, and justify his action by pointing to God's word.
    It's as old as the garden of eden.
    ".....the woman that thou gavest me, she (made me do it).....

7. Graybeard

Graybeard New Member

You are correct, Jesus was very clear on the matter.

8. Bro K

Bro K New Member

I Cor 7: 12. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13: And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14: For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15: But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not true. Paul allows for it in I Cor 7.

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what did I say, ha ?
    use God's word against Him.
    more forthcoming.

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Jesus made it clear that the OT approach to marriage as something which could be dissolved for "these reasons" is WRONGHEADED. Marriage should not be entered with the idea that separation is possible. As such, in MY opinion, infidelity is not a justification for divorce if the party at fault is repentent.

In 1 Cor Paul seems to be saying that if one party vacates the commitment (assuming not a Christian) that the other party may remarry.