1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce, why doesent it say so

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 28, 2008.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do think that at one time, 50s, 60s & earlier, that in the Baptist circles (at least in my area), divorce WAS the "unpardonable sin"!
    Thankfully, it has been freed from this category, or so it seems.
    'Course, probably half or more members would be relegated to "bench warming" had the attitude not changed.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, as members of our individual local church, we do have a say in making changes.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is said when a man and woman get married they become one flesh. Does divorce mean they become a single flesh once more with a divorce?
    It seems to me that those who get divorced are unable to forgive there choice of who they them selves once professed to love.

I believe divorce is pure selfishness. It's Narcissistic. It's all about self. Moses gave us divorce not God. It's for those who cannot forgive and work out their own problems.

We all must learn to forgive or we will not be forgiven.
    MB

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barns Commentary:

The husband of one wife - This need not be understood as requiring that a bishop “should be” a married man, as Vigilantius, a presbyter in the church at Barcelona in the fourth century, supposed, however desirable in general it may be that a minister of the gospel should be married. But, while this interpretation is manifestly to be excluded as false, there has been much difference of opinion on the question whether the passage means that a minister should not have more than one wife at the same time, or whether it prohibits the marriage of a second wife after the death of the first. On this question, the notes of Bloomfield, Doddridge, and Macknight, may be consulted. That the former is the correct opinion, seems to me to be evident from the following considerations:
    (1) It is the most obvious meaning of the language, and it would doubtless be thus understood by those to whom it was addressed. At a time when polygamy was not uncommon, to say that a man should “have but one wife” would be naturally understood as prohibiting polygamy.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gill Commentary:

The husband of one wife; which is not to be understood in a mystical and allegorical sense of his being the pastor of one church, since the apostle afterwards speaks of his house and children, that are to be ruled and kept in good order by him, in distinction from the church of God; but in a literal sense of his conjugal estate; though this rule does not make it necessary that he should have a wife; or that he should not marry, or not have married a second wife, after the death of the first; only if he marries or is married, that he should have but one wife at a time; so that this rule excludes all such persons from being elders, or pastors, or overseers of churches, that were "polygamists"; who had more wives than one at a time, or had divorced their wives, and not for adultery, and had married others. Now polygamy and divorces had very much obtained among the Jews; nor could the believing Jews be easily and at once brought off of them. And though they were not lawful nor to be allowed of in any; yet they were especially unbecoming and scandalous in officers of churches. So the high priest among the Jews, even when polygamy was in use, might not marry, or have two wives, at once; if he did, he could not minister in his office until he divorced one of them (u). For it is written, Lev_21:13, "he shall take a wife", אחת ולא שתים, "one, and not two" (w). And the same that is said of the high priest, is said of all other priests; see Eze_44:22, likewise the Egyptian priests might not marry more wives than one, though others might have as many as they pleased (x): and so the Flamines among the Romans (y). An elder or pastor must also be one that is

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley Commentary:

Therefore - That he may be capable of it. A bishop - Or pastor of a congregation. Must be blameless - Without fault or just suspicion. The husband of one wife - This neither means that a bishop must be married, nor that he may not marry a second wife; which it is just as lawful for him to do as to marry a first, and may in some cases be his bounden duty. But whereas polygamy and divorce on slight occasions were common both among the Jews and heathens, it teaches us that ministers, of all others, ought to stand clear of those sins. Vigilant, prudent - Lively and zealous, yet calm and wise. Of good behaviour - Naturally flowing from that vigilance and prudence.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    you have some good points - but especially with todays no-fault, a divorce can be done by only one party - with no say-so from the other. And if that gulity party re-marries - where does that leave the "innoncent party"
    Should such a person be prohibited from the ministry? As you said "forgivness" - Well, I believe the Lord also forgives....

Salty

PS lets keep this on the divorced in minstry. I mentioned "innoncent" party - so I started a new thread

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there biblcal grounds for a divorce, and divorce in general though?

Depending upon that answer, one is either qualifified.disqualified?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once asked my pastor about this. His response was that he believes the passage to mean not married to more than one wife (not a polygamist). The church, however, disagrees and therefore the bylaws state not divorced.

10. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

OK here is a salient question.... I am called to be and served as pastor for 10 years. My wife had a major life changing event which resulted in losing much weight. She began changing the way she dressed and noticed that men noticed her. She decided to have an affair and subsequently decided to divorce me. I did all I could to try to win her heart back. I was asked by law enforcement to leave the county and stay out. I finally convinced her to try to reconcile and she spent 2 months here with me. She went home to " move here" but shortly thereafter I received divorce papers in the mail and was informed she decided to make a completely new life with her boyfriend. Now my question is this... does this disqualify me from serving in pulpit ministry? In Pastoral ministry? Did God remove His call because of my wifes choice to leave me for another man?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

LOL, I have been divorced five times but have promised the church I will step down as deacon on the sixth time. For my 50th wedding anniversary, I plan to be sitting in a chair with all six wives standing behind me.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some churches would be more understanding if you had killed someone while holding up a liquor store.

BTW – after all that practice maybe there won’t be a sixth time. Practice makes perfect. :D ... or dead - you sure you'd want them all standing behind you? :eek:

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting question.

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. Matt 19:8

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. V9

Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Did God exercise what was written in the law of Moses even though it was not so from the beginning?

Can God now take whom he wills to wife?

I also find Matt 19:9 very interesting in that relative to who can enter the kingdom of God, which is now preached, following the law, it is again quoted and tied to the prophesy/story/parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

I also believe the whole book of Hosea is relative to this.

You only have I known of all the families of the earth: Amos 3:2 Is this, to know, as in a husband and wife?

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

My question at this point of the story is, "Did you notice her? And let her know you noticed her?"

I don't like to jump to conclusions, so I won't, but my experience in addictions treatment tells me marital problems result from one party feeling neglected and the other actually neglecting the first. Possible?