1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divorce

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jul 21, 2018.

1. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I have different definitions of deception.

This hasn’t been the definition for as long as anyone have lived. So, if a couple never took advantagef the laws governing “marriage” by calling themselves “married” to the government, I would agree.

However, in my opinion, it is a deceptive form of theft to declare a divorce just to get more money.

Marty

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is not about divorce, but about using divorce in order to attain a better financial stability to those who might be under some huge difficulties. In the OP, it was concerning a good family who have a special needs child.

Frankly, I see no problem with seeking divorce from the eyes of the government. They only provided the certificate of license, and were not involved other than blood testing for disease.

3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't think they should. I agree that it does not take a certificate from any government to be married in the eyes of God -- it is a covenant that a man and a woman makes between themselves and before God. Men and women have been doing that since the beginning of time, without the benefit of the government's stamp of approval. But in this case they did not object to the government's approval/requirement, until it became a negative in their eyes (and the eyes of their advisers) -- as it probably true of most all of us (i.e., we submitted to the government marriage certificate). The main rub I see is this: (1) they were married not only in the eyes of God, but also in the eyes of government, and (2) this solution engages in playing not married on the one hand, and married on the other hand.

Perhaps Christians need to rethink the whole concept of "government marriage," but in the meantime it is a bad testimony to accept it when it is beneficial to us, this chunk it when it is not.

Yes, I view it as deceitful. It is telling one group of people you are not married, and telling another group you are. It is "double-minded." On the other hand, I am ambivalent toward whether it is "bilking the government" or whether it is "rightfully theirs". The whole Social Security system is messed up and they are probably getting money someone else is putting in right now. Some have paid in a little and got back a lot; some have paid in a lot and got back a little.

They deserve to get something if they paid in. I have no idea what would be "rightfully theirs." AND, these kinds of things need to be fixed so that people aren't punished for being married.

Are there any Christians and/or churches nearby who can step in an help?

#24 rlvaughn, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They need to get jobs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay..."

Government: "Are you married?"
    Christian: "Nay, Nay."

Church: "Are you married?"
    Christian: "Yea, yea."

That doesn't sound as if it fits either the letter or spirit of Jesus's exhortation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an option.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney. He's a pastor.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Retired pastor.

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like a case of the ethics justified by the situation.

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's this thing called a "retired pastor"?
    I can't seem to find it in Scripture. ;)

13. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I do not believe they should divorce for money, and if they did I do not believe they would be considered married still in the eyes of God.

Yes, I would view divorcing someone for monetary gain as deceitful. My grandma divorced my grandpa for money long ago, they have been cheating the system for decades, I have told them how wrong and disturbing that is but they don't care.

No, I would not view that as a legal way to receive compensation, that would be not only lying, it would also be them two disobeying God by divorcing, God said He HATES divorce. Also they would not be placing their faith in God, they would be instead making the Government their provider. They need to suck it up so to speak and trust in God.

Those are my thoughts... I have seen it in my life and it's one pet peeve of mine, I just loathe it when people abuse the system.

PS. May I add, no matter what the world says, in the case of saying hey it's okay to get a divorce if you really need the money, we are not to listen to the world. Remember, we are in the world, but we are not to be of the world. Gods Words and teachings on the matter should be ALL that matters, and He said let NO man or woman put away their spouse, period.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that God is manipulated by human laws?

Why should they care. It is none of your business. They are really not "cheating" anyone, nor are they being deceitful. They have apparently followed the legal system and used that same system legally to aid them. The same as anyone has the right to do.

Perhaps you should show the Scriptures that state, "God hates divorce." Haven't found it yet, but then it wouldn't be unusual to may have missed that in reading.

More seriously, you consider it illegal for them receiving the compensation because they choose to use legal means to received the compensation. That would be rather convoluted logic, wouldn't it? If it is legal compensation, attained legally, then it is not illegal.

On another matter, "suck it up" is so easy for the youth to spout. They have all their future ahead of them to gather and store. We elderly have no advantage and are often left with little or less financial ability to meet the continual growing expenses. For example, were a young person may visit the doctor once a year, the typcial elder person will have four visits. Were the typical youth have perhaps one medication to take (perhaps birth control, or ADD meds) the elderly often have more than four.

"Suck it up" isn't an option and is most certainly one of the more disrespectful statements youth can make to the elderly.

Really? Abuse the system? There is no criminality, and no abuse to the system other than your own disrespect to the elderly.

No that is not what the Scripture states. Perhaps in your zeal you run to excess and need to adjust your perspective in gaining maturity.

15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for [one] covereth violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously." ( Malachi 2:16 )

" Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." ( Matthew 19:6 )

With respect, that is what the Scripture states.

" Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
    2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to [her] husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of [her] husband.
    3 So then if, while [her] husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man." ( Romans 7:1-3 )

" And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:
    11 but and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife." ( 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 )

May God bless you.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some pastors need to retire.
    When they get to the point that their physical condition is so bad that
    they can not fulfill their duties.

Many years ago, a former pastor of mine told me that he was leading the music
    for a well known evangelist. My pastor stated that one night - that the good Dr
    leaned over to Pastor John and asked him "what did I preach on last night"

Sometimes a pastor has a responsibility to retire

Doesnt mean that a person cannot minister at all - but he should
    realize his limitations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    God hates divorce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. StanSan

StanSan New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My friend's father from Benin (Africa) had two wives and children from them. What should he do with them after conversion? :)

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply don”t seek to become an elder. :Geek

Rob

20. StanSan

StanSan New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... like all other kinds of sin (incl. James 4:17)