1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorced DOM

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ChuckS, Oct 22, 2001.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS New Member

I just have a quick question, we all have our opinions about a divorced person as a pastor or deacon, but how about a Director of Missions?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I vote for NO Director of Missions at all. That would eliminate one extra problem to worry about. But if I were in a group that had a Director of Missions, and if I had a vote, I would not vote to elect as a Director of Missions a divorced man. Don't know what scripture I would base it on, since I don't find a DOM in scripture.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the DOM equivalent to being a pastor or functioning in the role of pastor? If yes, then follow the same guidelines for a pastor. If not, it is a bureaucratic position like the regional director of CocaCola and we don't ask whether he or she is divorced or not.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What if you have a man who came to the DOM position as a married to one woman guy (and most of the churches are "No Divorce" stance. The DOM divorces his wife on who knows what grounds, and remarries. His first wife never moved to the Association with him, so no one knows his first wife.

5. apeman

apeman Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    What if you have a man who came to the DOM position as a married to one woman guy (and most of the churches are "No Divorce" stance. The DOM divorces his wife on who knows what grounds, and remarries. His first wife never moved to the Association with him, so no one knows his first wife.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The association recently selected a new DOM, this DOM fills the role of a pastor in several churches that are currently without, because he fills this role on a regular basis it was important when selected to meet the biblical standards of a bishop/pastor as set in 1 Timothy 3:2. Now the application of that passage is up to the local assembly, but that is another argument entirely.

Sin is Sin lets call it like it is.

-- Theological Neophyte

6. TXVET58

TXVET58 New Member

Divorce is not sin.

7. Maria

Maria New Member

QUESTION? A pastor who is divorced cannot re- marry while the ex-wife is still alive?
    :rolleyes:

8. Maria

Maria New Member

TXVET58
    I was divorced before I was born again in Christ my ex- husband remarried. Now as a Christian all I know in my heart and base on the book of God that Divorce is a sin. :rolleyes:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maria:
    QUESTION? A pastor who is divorced cannot re- marry while the ex-wife is still alive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Of course he can. But some say he cannot get divorced at all and still be a pastor (even if the divorce followed exactly what Jesus/Paul taught).

Go up to the Theology Forum and check the past month - been 3-4 threads on this subject. No need to debate it here. Then jump on in, gal, and defend your position!

10. kev

kev New Member

what a person does before that person is saved shoude not matter.because God put his sin's as far as the east is from the west and will not rember them agin. LOVE kev

11. TXVET58

TXVET58 New Member

I keep hearing people excuse their sins by saying "that was before I was a Christian..." If pre-conversion sins don't matter, why did we need to get saved, then? Why did Christ have to die?
    Some say a pastor/preacher/deacon can't divorce, remarry, sleep around, etc unless "it happened before they knew the Lord, etc."??
    Hypocrisy! I refuse to believe God's grace is greater towards "unbelievers" than it is to the "elect."

12. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Texvet, you said
    =======
    If pre-conversion sins don't matter, why did we need to get saved, then? Why did Christ have to die?
    =======

Christ's death is the very reason that our preconversion sins don't matter.

MR

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's death is the reason sin doesn't matter at all. Remember, it was ALL "future" when He bore it on the cross.

It is not a matter of "sin". It is a matter of "qualification".

Example: Let's say you like Peter Jennings, the ABC news anchor. He is a good man and wants to run for President of the USA.

He can't. He is "disqualified". Why? He's a US citizen like me. What did he do? Is he a felon? Is he under age?

No, nothing "he" did. He was born in Canada and that disqualifies him EVER from running for President. Sorry. Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect a chair in the Oval Office.

A man's pre-conversion/post-conversion life MAY likewise disqualify him for service. How many years did Paul have to wait after he was miraculously saved before he was qualified to serve?

Can some even pre-conversion sins be so heinous that a person will never meet the qualifications of "above reproach"?