1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do alters belong in churches?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Craigbythesea, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Do alters belong in churches? What think ye?

[​IMG]

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Comes down to whether or not you think the churches should have buildings, if you are going to have a building rather than a rental hall or in believers homes, then you need to furnish it accordingly.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What's with the "alter" spelling? I see it so much here.

It should be a-l-t-a-r.

To alter is to change.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I sometimes prefer the alterior spellings!

[​IMG]

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Are we talking 'real' altars here (those with a 'relic' buried underneath) or just those tables you see in most baptist churches? ;)

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Like in a Jewish altar?? With the bloody sacrifices and all?

I heard of a preacher giving the invitation one time---a lady came forward--grabs the preacher by the hand and says,

"Preacher! I want to lay my tongue down on the altar!"

Preacher says,

"M'am! Our altar ain't but 14 feet long---but go ahead--we'll do the best we can!!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now that's one long tongue!! [​IMG]

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, they are part of the salvation process! :D (kidding)

It's personal preference. I like the smaller, clear ones, but that is just my preference.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

If they dont belong in the church then where shall we put them, in the parking lot?

9. rufus

rufus New Member

Rufus says, "Whatever...???"

Rufus

10. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

In the grand scheme of things, I do not suppose it matters too much. I personally think that Christians should make most of their "decisions" in the privacy of their homes after church. The way most invitations are given nowadays, you cannot really "do business with God" (to use an old-time phrase) in the three and a half minutes they allot for all of the life-changing decisions to be made. But I am sure it does not hurt to have one there.

11. Pastor Brian R. Giaquinto

In the grand scheme of things, I do not suppose it matters too much. I personally think that Christians should make most of their "decisions" in the privacy of their homes after church. The way most invitations are given nowadays, you cannot really "do business with God" (to use an old-time phrase) in the three and a half minutes they allot for all of the ]life-changing decisions to be made.

I totally agree. I wonder how many people come running down to the altar because "that's what you're supposed to do." No life changing fruit is present. The altar of one's heart needs to be emphasized more. The table in our church is to hold flower arrangements and the Lord's Supper.