1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do Baptist Practice Anointing?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What actually is anointing and is it a biblical baptist practice?... What is it for?... Have you ever took part in one?... Have you administered one?... Been the subject of one?... Comments... Brother Glen:)

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not yet in a Baptist church, but heard that all of time while in Pentecostal churches, as in "
    he is anointed to preach, to heal, to witness."

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is a biblical practice -- if you're talking about anointing the sick with oil (James 5:14-15) -- and some Baptists have and still do practice it. I have never took the lead in one myself, but have been present once as an observer.

Morgan Edwards of the Philadelphia Baptist Association was a strong proponent of it, and wrote about it in his Customs of Primitive Churches (see link). He recorded at least one instance of anointing among Regular Baptists, as did J. Davis in History of the Welsh Baptists. In another place (which source I don't have at hand at the moment) Morgan Edwards lamented that the same kind of reasoning used to deny anointing the sick with oil would lead Baptists to discontinue every positive rite!

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Baptist church has sent men occasionally to anoint and pray over the sick in the hospital who have asked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean that kind of anointing, yes, when requested by the sick person, Elders place oil on them and lay hands on them and pray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because other denominations practice anointing doesn't prove it is wrong... As Brother Robert pointed out and gave references to those Baptist who did and even said he was present at one... The men of the clergy know more about it than I do and I respect their input... We know according to scripture that an anointing was a consecration or setting aside to the Lord... Many in the OT were anointed but as I understand scripture this was a different type of anointing... I see nothing wrong of anointing one who is sick and would desire an anointing... If the one who is ill calls for an anointing then the ones who administers it and those who attend such should not shirk their God given calling... Brother Glen:)

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me that is the key the person asked to be anointed, you just didn't go and anoint anybody... As in anything some do and some don't but according to scripture, there is nothing wrong with it... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being an Ordained Independent Baptist preacher I do not see it much, however I am also a Volunteer Chaplain at a State Veterans Home, where the Staff Protestant Chaplain is SBC..........., so yes I have applied oil- but only when the person or family has requested.

Yes it is Biblical- James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Mostly I find Independents shy away from anything under the verb-age "anoint or anointing." SBC has no problem or at least the few I have been around. Independents must think they (we) are going to get Pentecostal cooties or something?

Same thing with "water baptism." After a person receives the gospel and is born again you can sometimes count the months before they are dunked in a IBC. Not with what I have seen with an SBC Church........a soul gets saved and the following week they are getting wet as a public testimony to their salvation.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as baptists tend to follow what James said on this issue, but Charismatics usually associate that term with another meaning altogether!

10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen one and I probably never will.

As for the anointing that Pentecostals and Charismatics teach, I believe they get it from here:

" And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
    2 he said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
    3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism.
    4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve." ( Acts 19:1-7 )

The way i understand it is this:

So, instead of seeing that there were some who had believed on Christ and having not been baptized in the name of Jesus, but with John's baptism of repentance ( in other words, they had heard and believed the Gospel, but had not been properly baptized yet ), they assume from the passage that their are two "baptisms" that are separate acts...one by men, and one by God via the Holy Ghost...which their are, but the latter one precedes the former one.

They then see Paul laying hands on the 12 and them receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit ( similar to Acts 8:9-24 ) and automatically associate the laying on hands with the receiving of the Holy Ghost via a second "baptism" of the Spirit...even though that miracle ended in the first century.

Best wishes.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word Christ loosely means the anointed one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But why the in Jesus' name for everything and only the Book of Acts?

Going to seeing a side of my family that are all Oneness Apostolic's- not looking forwarded to people looking down their nose at me..............:Cautious

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our pastor carried oil in his coat pocket to anoint the sick.

Pointy Birds by John Lillison
    (and as recited by Steve Martin on a movie I can’t recall)

Pointy birds
    Pointy, pointy.
    Anoint my head
    Anointy, nointy.

14. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Man with Two Brains

He also repeats it in L.A. Story a cute and highly underrated film.
    Even Sarah Jessica Parker is charming in it.

#14 HeirofSalvation, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. What do you annoint with?

16. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

17. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL......like I said some Baptist just can’t handle the word “anointing,” etc.

Some Catholic’s will even try to parallel it to their Pagan last rites- whatever.

Baptist’s were running the aisles and taking a fit for the Lord before there were any Pentecostal’s.

Many Baptist’s have become to reverend and legalistic these days- sit in church like a tomb stone waiting to fall over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now now.....you are not showing them any love

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think many Baptists would not want to have the annoiting as say Charasmatics define it, as in watching the results among WoF/health and wealth heretics!

20. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly and could not agree more especially doctrinally. The only anointing I am speaking of is in Jas 5 I think it was.

When a soul is saved they are as anointed as they will ever get knowing we all fight that flesh thing

That second blessing thing, tongues, etc. are all out of Satan’s playbook- emotions, feelings, religion, works, etc.

The 2nd blessing is in many Baptist circles. I heard a Baptist Evangelist touch on it a couple times-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk