1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists believe in the Trinity?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dust, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'm a little curious about that one, myself. The only instance in the OT where I can find an angel being called "God" is in one of the Christophanies where Christ is described as an "angel".

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Properly educated on the trinity through scripture study. A very new born again Christian may not be able to make the distinction and have a vague awarness. They may know they are saved through their faith in Jesus Christ but how the trinity works may take a little more time. Thats what I mean. If they know from the begining that's good but more often I find that people coming to the Lord generally really don't know much more than they need him and want him in their lives.

3. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

How exactly does it do that?

None of this "destroys the Trinity". Christ is the unique mediator between God and man as He is both God and man, as Scripture and the Church teaches. In fact Scripture states repeatedly that Christ before He became Incarnate pre-existed as the One through whom all things were made, both visible and invisible.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man I have seen some theological gymnastics in my time but this garbage takes the prize. I have never seen anything so nutty in all my life.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that's why I haven't responded to it yet. I'm not ever sure where to start.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If I am correct, and he can correct me if I am wrong, Dust is a Christedelphian. Here is a summary of their beliefs:
    http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/christadelphianism/what-do-christadelphians-teach

Almost all the essential doctrines of Christianity are denied especially the deity of Christ and salvation by grace through faith.

7. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I once said on a forum that angels rejoice when a sinner repents, not because he/she understands Biblical theology.

Fits here maybe.

8. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I tend to agree that you don't need a perfect understanding of the Trinity to be saved, but I also think that a regenerate person will not reject the Trinity like Dust has. I don't claim to know if Dust is saved or not, but I highly doubt that he would reject the Trinity if he is.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes I can agree. Its definately a deep well.

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

there's some theology that shouldn't even be up for debate...this being one...it's one thing to come to a messeage board as this and seek understanding and something totally different in coming here to debate the Trinity itself...

i'm really suprised this thread is still active and Dust hasn't been banned, when even Roman Catholics aren't even allowed to join this board...makes no sense to me...

In XC
    -

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto...............

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But guess what?? Dust has brought us all together on the same side for the holidays!! Woo-hoo!! We all happen to agree on this one subject! :D

Thanks Dust for the wonderful Christmas gift. Agreement on BB. :laugh:

13. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

You got that right annsni. We are united on this one!

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Does that mean to dust we shall return?

:D

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I wouldn't consider them to be Baptists if they don't. God is a Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--the Great Three in One!

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why even bother trying to answer his agenda?

He has erred in many things he has claimed. There is no future tense for verbs in Hebrew as he claims. Yet he assigns the tetragrammaton (YHWH - which by the way is a concatenation of the perfect, imperfect and adjectival form of "to be") as a "future tense".

Actually the tetragrammaton (YHWH) being the concatenation that it is means "the eternal one"

In Genesis 1:26 YHWH is not used but Elohim:

And God (Elohim, plural) said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.​

Nowhere in the Scripture are angels ever said to be in the image and likeness of God. Whoever these personages within Elohim are in Genesis 1:26 are they are not angels.

Additionally there are two plural forms in Hebrew, Dual and more than 2.
    Elohim is NOT dual, so there are more than two personages in Elohim.
    There are three, Hebrew usually uses prefixes a cardinal number for greater than three of anything but not for three.

Then there is Genesis 3:22
    In Genesis 3:22 we have the connective name of God "The LORD God" or "YHWH-Elohim"

22 And the LORD God (YHWH-Elohim) said (singular), Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:​

YHWH-Elohim literally means the Eternal Elohim. Those persons who make up the singular Godhead are therefore ALL eternal.​

He is also wrong (only gave you part of the sentence) about the Septuagint (LXX) and Exodus 3:14 when Moses said in Exodus 3:13 "What is his name? what shall I say unto them?"​

The Greek of the LXX in Exodus 3:14 uses exactly the words as Jesus uses in John 8:58 "EGO EIMI" for His name.
    Jesus knew exactly what He was claiming and so did the pharisees.​

That is exactly why the pharisees took up stones to kill Him and the reason they eventually delivered Him to the Romans to be crucified.​

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.​

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.​

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.​

Actually if this list of Christadelphian doctrines above is accurate this "religion" is not Christian at all. I don't know what to call it but it's not Christian.​

HankD​

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

'And God (Elohim, plural) said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

Nor do angels have the ability to create.

#97 lori4dogs, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, and I pointed all this out on page one of this thread but no one seemed to notice!

There is a big difference between someone not understanding the Trinity and someone who belongs to a cult that denies the Trinity.

I'm surprised he's still here, too.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We noticed Marcia (at least I did) and thank you for that.

We were waiting for a confirmation from "Dust" that this is his belief system.

HankD

20. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Its sad that pretty much anyone can take Scripture and paint their own picture. Everyone who does this claims to be using Scripture in the same way and not forcing their agenda. This is not only scary in false religions, but is even done in good doctrine oddly enough. I could be wrong by saying all of this, but I see the impossibility to know or do anything right without the Spirit (even if you say or do the right things externally). This is a good picture of our deceitful hearts or depraved nature. We all try to use Scripture to our advantage, and it is a horrible thought to come to the reality that I sometimes do that. It is very evident when in a wrongful debate, but you can see it passed down in the lines of false teaching pretty clearly. I think it is good to understand that they are where you were before you knew God and not scream at them as if their an idiot because arent we all? It's like kicking a dead person and telling them to get up as if they are just being stubborn. I am really humbled when I foolishly speak to someone who denies the essential doctrines of Christianity like there an idiot and then go home to my JW side of the family and speak to them about it like there a different person. Explain this to me, should we not speak to people like we do people we love, or does this show we really dont care most of the time? I dont know, you tell me.