1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists go all the way back to the apostles?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by FundamentalBaptist02, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have no idea where this came from and do not know how the person who wrote it backed up this information if he did at all. I will put it out for your inspection and remarks.

HISTORY OF OLD REGULAR BAPTIST

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE FOLLOWING HISTORY CAME FROM BUT THINK IT WAS A HISTORY DID BY A PERSON NAMED PERRIGAN BUT I AM NOT SURE. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO SENT IT TO ME.
    TRACING BACK THE OLD REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH

1.The Apostle John was with Christ on the Mount where the church was established.

2.Polycarp was baptized by John on the 25th of December, 95 A.D.

3.Polycarp organized the Partus Church at the foot of the Iiber, 150 A.U. and Tortullon was a

member of that body.

4.Tortullon from the Puttee Church organized the Turan Church at Turan, Italy, 237 A.D.

5.Telesman, a member of the Partus Church organized the Pontifossi Church at the foot of the

Alps in France, 398 A.D.

6.Adromicus came from the Pontifossi Church and organized the Sarethea Church in Asia Minor,

671 A.D.

7.Archer Flavin from the Daretnea Church organizes the Timeo Church, 738 A.D.

8.Balcola, from the Timto Church in Asia Minor, organized the Lima Piedmont Church. 812 A.D.

9.Aaron Arlington was ordained in 940 A.D. by the Lima Piedmont Church.

10.Aaron Arlington organized the Hillcliff Church, 987 A.D.

11.The Hillcliff Church, located in Wales, shows in its records that members of the Church came

to America and later became members of the Philadelphia Association.

12.Dr. John Clark, from the Church of Wales, came to America with four others and organized the

first Baptist Church in this country at Newport, Rhode Island, 1638 A.D.

13.The Church of Rhode Island helped organize the first Baptist Association, the Philadelphia

Association in 1707.

14.The Philadelphia Association organized the Katockton Association in Virginia in 1766.

15.The Katockton Association organized the Hosten Association in North Carolina in 1783.

16.The Hosten Association organized the South Elkhorn Association in Kentucky in 1784.

17.The South Elkhorn Association organized the South Kentucky Association in 1787, which became

the South District and North District of United Baptist in 1801.

18.The North District organized the Burning Springs Association in 1813.

19.The Burning Springs Association organized the New Salem Association in 1825 and the Paint

Union in 1837. These too were called United Baptist.

20.The New Salem Association, mother church of The Old Regular Baptists, organized the Mate's

Creek Association in 1849 and the Union Association in 1859. The Union Association played a

crucial role in the final evolution of the Old Regular Baptist Church.

21.The Old Regular Churches today trace their development from the New Salem, and Union

Associations. The Doctrine that was established in 1894 is relatively intact today with very

few changes in the "old style" of worship.

#81 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2006
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

For starters try this link.

http://members.aol.com/ancientbaptist/a5.htm

This link comes form a Landmark Church, who believes Baptist do go back to the early church. They think this list is untruthful and support their claims with footnotes of where you can find this on your own. Now after you read this, There are other list of Church groups that we can look at. We will look at any list that you want.

In Christ...James

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

As I stated, I didn't know where it came from just put it up for everyone's opinions. There indeed seems to be some problems with references as was pointed out. It seems as if he is saying that many of the SBC that hold it to still be true.
    I never posted this just for you to look at, I posted it for everyone to look at. Maybe someone else's has a different take on it. We can wait a few days and see.

At least the one who questioned this history said the same thing I been saying all along and that is the best history we have is that we believe and practice as they did in the apostles days.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I do too James;
    Pray for me, I been up since 4 with chest pain. I got dressed and ready to go to Charleston, WV at the CMAC. I still am holding on, my blood pressure is high and very sick at my stomach. I guess you will wonder why I don't go on but you just can't run to hospital ever time your heart acts up but over the years you get so you know when you must. Thanks,

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob,

Please do not wait long. I understand it is a long trip, but please go if you are still feeling this way. I will email my cell phone number...i live right outside of Charleston. I would be glad to meet with you and yours and help in any way.

Now I pray...

In Christ...James

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks,...........

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

All members of the Church (Baptist or not) against whom the gates of hell will not prevail go back to Jesus Christ and His Apostles.​

Ephesians 2
    19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.​

HankD​

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are numerous such lists circulating, many of which share a good deal of supposed information and garbled references. The Perrigan referred to, BTW, is Jean Paul Perrin, who published a history of the Waldenses in 1619.

(Additional information indicates that the Perrigan referenced is Rufus Perrigan, an Old Regular who self-published his history in 1961. rsr)

I have see step-by-step refutations of such lists, but it is very tedious work; it is very often impossible to prove a negative. However, when such lists provide footnotes, it is possible to check to see if the source actually upholds that the list maintains.

I can only point out a few things about the list posted above: There is no indication that John Clarke was a member of a Welsh Baptist church; indeed, he was baptized when he was five days old there is no documentation that I know of that he was a Baptist before coming to the New World, although there are suggestions that he came to Baptistic views in England or Holland.

Even so, there is a 700-year jump from Hillcliff to Clarke, which presents another problem: Aside from the fact that Hill Cliffe is in England, not Wales, such great antiquity is doubtful; event ardent supporters of its early Baptist history do not ordinarily try to go back that far. I also am not aware that there is documentation that its members emigrated to America.

In addition, I am not aware of a predominant influence of the Rhode Island churches in founding the churches of the Philadelphia Baptist Association.

I must regard such chain link-succession stories as largely spurious, based mostly on 19th century hagiography, not on history.

I am not sure exactly what such lists are supposed to prove, anway: What a church teaches now is more important than what its predecessors taught.

#89 rsr, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  10. JC379

JC379 New Member

Faith from The Apostles

Actually I'd have to admit that the Catholics are the only religion who can trace back to 2,000 years with an unbroken link bishop to bishop, pope to pope, all the way to Peter himself. That is a fact and nothing you can do about it. Baptists came much later.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So I guess the Lutheren can also.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hold a horse or two there. The Roman church's tradition is that Peter was the first pope and was followed by Linus and then Anacletus. (This follows Irenaeus and Jerome.)

However, the Apostolic Constitutions say Linus was the first bishop of Rome, ordained by Paul, and Clement was the second and was ordained by Peter. Anacletus is not mentioned.

Tertullian, who does not mention either Linus or Anacletus, said Rome claimed Clement was the successor of Peter. Augustine says Clement preceded Anacletus. Next to nothing is known about Linus and Anacletus, or about Evaristus, who is claimed to succeed Clement.

The other four ancient patriarchates - Constantinople, Antioch (on the authority of Eusebius), Alexandria and Jerusalem (again on the authority of Eusebius) - also claim direct apostolic succession, as do other eastern churches.

#92 rsr, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Glad you are around rsr. :)

14. greg

greg New Member

My first post hear at Baptist Board was my introduction a few weeks ago. This morning I check my email and here is a PM from Baptist Board. I check it out. It's from this JC379. Apparently he/she read my introduction seeing that I had originally come from the Catholic church and told me "Do yourself and your family a favor and go back".

To take JC379's assumptions a step further, If you believe that because the Catholic church has been around longer then the Baptist church they are the "true and holy church" Why aren't you Aetheist?

This I guess, is really an off post topic but I'm sure it could take another whole thread. I'm new here to baptist boards so I'm wondering, are there really that many Catholic lurkers out there?

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is off topic. If you have such concerns, please pass them on to a moderator or administrator.

Thank you.
    rsr

16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    perrin/perrigan

I think that the quote probably came from the History of Regular Baptist and Their Ancestors and Accessors, by Rufus Perrigan. I've never been able to obtain a copy of the book, so I don't know that for sure.

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the correction; that's certainly likely. Rufus Perrigan was an Old Regular.

18. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Peter, Paul, John, James, Luke, and Jude were all Southern Baptist.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the list goes like this:

Peter - Fighting Fundamentalist
    Paul - BBF
    John - GARBC
    James - ABC
    Luke - SBC
    Jude - Primitative Bap
    :1_grouphug:

20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Either way, they were all Baptists. And they all agreed with each other. Uh, hold on a minute. Does that mean they weren't Baptists after all?