1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do Cals Deny "by grace through faith"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Aug 22, 2012.

?
  1. I am calvinistic, and I believe cals AFFIRM salvation by grace through faith

48.3%
  2. I am calvinistic, and I admit that us cal deny salvation by grace through faith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am a non-cal, but I don't think cals deny salvation by grace through faith

20.7%
  4. I am a non-cal, and I DO think calvinists deny salvation by grace through faith.

31.0%
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

If I may.. God DOES have to give (allow/grant) repentance as He is he one against who the offense was made. It has nothing to do with you have in you, but against whom you have sinned. No one else can grant (allow or give) you the opportunity or right to repent unto God, as I can not grant to another the opportunity to repent to you whom they have offended.

Additionally - Your 2 Timothy quote is taken out of context for a proof text and thus misapplies the text. Again - IF I may?

Please note that 2 Tim 2:25 is speaking of a BELIEVER.. and the text is speaking to the fact that their repentance is due exclusively - if God allows them them to .. ie - grant them, NOT give them.

We know this is speaking of believers 'on this point' because of vs.26, which states:

Here is John MacArthur on the verse (from his commentary on 2 Timothy):
    Emphasis added.

Or Barnes:
    Dr. Vines states:
    Or Kent:
    Kent adds that

These persons who have been trapped by the Devil were not the same type as those described in 2 Timothy 2:21 (note) or Titus 3:10 (note). From such, the minister is to remove himself. Those in 2Timothy 2:25, 26 are to be dealt with kindly in order to bring about a return to sober thinking. They are captured alive by Satan. There is at least an inference that these persons may be true believers who have become ensnared. If they are, the repentance and recovery may be expected, and the offenders may yet be restored to the will of God.”

Or A.T. Robertson (this one is a bit more involved, and with respect to the later portion I agree Robertson - The will done being spoken of is not Satans but God's):
    Now I realize your argument is still maintained that God must grant to whomever repentance.. yet, let us not proof-text to make our statements seem pointed.. and I agree with you by the way:) as do all other non-cals (we simply disagree as to His extent of offering).

I'm sure you agree that God did not lie when he stated He desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth (note that the preceding verses of 1 Tim 2 here are speaking not of all types -as agreed by many Reformed - but literally every man).. and that HE commands all men everywhere to repent.

So does God grant or give men the opportunity to repent, that depends on where they are with Him regarding judgment (Rom 1:18-32 // He gave them over, gave them over, gave them over.. 2 Thes 2:10-12, and many others)

#41 Allan, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  2. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repentance comes from God to His elect.
    When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yes, the point was that it wasn't just for the Jews and more specifically a gentile did not have to become a jew first in order to get salvation. (Grown males didn't HAVE to get circumcised! Woohoo! Thank God! Right?) THIS was the reason why they rejoiced, not because of what you assert. Do you really think you are honestly and accurately interpreting the text or does that just seem to be a good prooftext?

4. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do and you are simply proving the point that blessed are those who have eyes to see and ears to hear. I used to believe as you do until my eyes were opened.

Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Notice faith is the result of election. See also the text below.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

This is the text that disproves the myth of free will, if God chooses to open your eyes as well.

5. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what exactly are you humble about?

6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I disagree here as well... Those that "were appointed to eternal life" and were glad were the gentiles who had heard the gospel earlier that week, and thereby believed on the savior and later at the next Sabbath day got confirmation from the preaching of the gospel and were thus 'glad' and rejoiced. Read the text, it's in there.

#46 humblethinker, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I BOTH agree on salvation though...

The point is that faith is NOT inherit in sinners, but a Gift from God towards his elect in christ, but the sinner still MUST place faith in jesus to become saved...

Bible 101!

8. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean inherent? Regenerate people can only believe. They have been born again of incorruptible seed but we will no longer need faith when Christ appears or we die and are in His presence.

#48 SovereignMercy, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  9. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your text that you just wrote, not the Word of God.

10. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This simply is not so. This discussion will not approach "appointed to eternal life," per se.

You state:

"Those that 'were appointed to eternal life' and were glad were the gentiles"

This is true. The text clearly states this.

However, this next phrase of yours is not true:

"Those that 'were appointed to eternal life' and were glad were the gentiles who had heard the gospel earlier that week,

This simply cannot be. If you will look at the entire passage, the address to the Gentiles is the second week. The first week (in Antioch of Pisidia) saw Paul and Barnabas in the Synagogue, which was their custom. In the Synagogue, Paul addressed "Brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God." (Acts 13:26) These are two types of people: Ethnic Jews and those who have converted in some fashion, the "God fearers."

At the end of the week 1 meeting, Paul and Barnabas leave with many of the Jews and God fearers having been converted (v. 42, 43). Now, it is not likely that many unconverted Gentiles would have been at the Synagogue. But, even so, no Gentile is mentioned before week 2, the believing Gentiles being referred to as "God fearers."

Then, in verse 44, we have week two--in which the first mention of the Gentiles is made. They are a part of the "almost whole city" group. After the Jewish leaders (presumably of the Synagogue) denounce and revial Paul, he begins to discuss that the message of redemption is not only for Jews. And, when the Gentiles heard this--at week 2--some of them believed. How many believed? We don't know. But we know all of them did not. The text clearly tells us that the ones who believed were the ones who had been appointed to eternal life.

No...no it isn't, at all.

The Archangel

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY sinners who have been the receivers of God applying Grace towards them will be enabled to put faith in jesus and get saved!

The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, but only works towards those chosen and elected by the Father to be enabled to be able to receive jesus...