1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Calvinists believe children go to Hell?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi James,
    Yes, this is God's election. But, even non-cals believe in election. At least they should since it is clearly taught in the Bible.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Amy,

Most non-Calvinist believe that God choses/elects, because God foresaw that they will believe or that they chose Him. In other words God has a reason to chose, and no one gets chosen unless they chose God 1st.

In the babies case, does it matter to the free-willer that the baby does not chose God, not before God choses, nor after God choses, nor at any time?

A Calvinist says this is always the case in election. God over powers the soul of the unbeliever and the person becomes saved. Not based on foreseen belief of the sinner, or..a "I'll chose you if you chose me" type of thing, but based on Gods choice, will and pleasure to do so.

#82 Jarthur001, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll ask again. Where is it written that infants cannot have faith in Christ?

Isn't this the primary source of confusion, that folks generally come to the subject of the salvation of infants with arbitrary presuppositions?

What is faith? Is it an operation of the brain or of the spirit? It appears that you believe it to be an operation of the brain. What do the Scriptures say?

And what of the spirits of infants? Isn't the big hang-up over God's judgment of infants that we look on the outward appearance and not on the heart? Don't most folks have the impression in their heads that dead infants have baby-shaped ghosts that goo-goo and gah-gah with no clue about what's going on around them?

But the spirit of the individual who died as an infant is intelligent, cognizant, and infinitely more perceptive than any adult alive today. So, I believe that infants can exercise faith as well as if not better than you or I.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The spirit may be intelligent, but it's still in a corrupt body. An infant cannot excercise faith. That is ridiculous.

Can an infant hear and understand? Can they understand they are sinners in need of a Savior?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you read this?

I read someplace of an infant in Elisabeth's womb who leaped at the sound of Mary's voice.

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Did the babe leap because it understood the conversation or because he was moved by the Holy Spirit?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can rest assured that the Holy Ghost was involved. That's my point. Our response to the Gospel is a spiritual response. Though we can respond mentally, saving faith is an operation of our spirits, and not our brains.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.