1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Calvinists Distort the Gospel?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He did not deny the scriptures, but rather showed you directly what is taking place in the lives of true Christians.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is the result of the indwelling Holy Spirit present as a result of the Gospel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think that Gospel does not include God transforming us, maturing us? Brother, this is a grand error.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know "let" is an imperative.

And we know that God gives us the ability to obey with the correct motives.

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

So we first agree with God, that He is wise and we properly place our affections on Christ...

James 1:4-8 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
    A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

And Loving God is an act of the will (love God with your Heart) with properly placed affections (Love God with your soul) and our focus and energy is on Him (love God with your might).

Yes, He's given us a heart that wants to, Yes He's given us a mind to do so, Yes He's given us the ability...but we still must "walk in Step with the Spirit."

So then, we must ask...Can a believer mature without being in step with the Holy Spirit?

#24 JonShaff, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is that the 1Cor 15 definition that is often given - would have fit the Christian Jews perfectly -- who still were at war with Paul and in Gal 1:6-9 he called their version "another gospel".

In order to have Calvinism and Arminianism have the same gospel despite all their difference some least-common-denominator definition such as 1 Cor 15 will be selected ... and that level of definition would have made Paul's assessment fail in Gal 1:6-9

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Jon C,

Jon....imperatives...follow indicitives most of the time....do you agree...in other words, in light of who you are walk or live as a child of light.
    We walk or live as God works in us. We repent, we believe....we serve....we do good works...as God has ordained that we walk in them...
    We are unprofitable servants....lk17:
    9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I would agree. Can we choose not to walk in them?

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We are not free to sin....but we are still able to sadly.
    That is why Hebrews 12 explains what a disobedient Christian an expect

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, so maturity happens as we agree and walk with God.

10. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the explanation.

11. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can be preached by SDAs, too; however, that doesn't answer the OP.

#31 thatbrian, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we are getting somewhere!

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a huge theological mistake, which leads to all sorts of problems, yet it answers the OP, nonetheless.

14. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is news. It is not advice.

15. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "good news" does not include anything other than "good news".

16. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My assertion is that the Synergist cannot help but add works to the gospel, and we certainly have proof of that in this thread. Hopefully, now some of my Calvinist brothers can begin to see that a person's theological bent has an inescapable affect on his proclamation of the gospel.

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's Good News that God will not leave you powerless against sin, but will Fill you With His Holy Spirit and Cause you to walk in His Righteousness, Hallelujah for that GOOD NEWS! AND one day He Will glorify His People...That is the Gospel as well!

18. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Provide quotes please. The Only "Works" in the Gospel is Ephesians 2:10--those who are saved will walk in good works that God has prepared. That is the Gospel, my friend. You are sadly mistaken to think that the Gospel is simply a "tool God uses to save Sinners". The Gospel is the entirety of the Good News that God will Justify, Sanctify, and Glorify His People. The Gospel is from Genesis to Revelation--"According to the Scriptures."

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And seriously, you sound like the Pharisees Accusing the Lord Jesus for healing on the Sabbath--accusing Him of doing "works" on the Sabbath. I've heard this from several people on this board. "Oh you believed? Oh that's a work."..."Oh, you surrendered your will to Christ? oh that's a work!"..."Oh you Trusted in Christ, that's a work!". I seriously feel like I'm living in the Bible. The Lord said to believe on Him and we will be saved, and "monergists" claim, "You responding to God (without regeneration) is a work!"

I get it, the reformers wanted to guard against the RCC's works-based salvation...and they went to the extreme with their doctrine. Just like the Pharisees--from the Hasidim--who wanted to guard Israel from violating the Sabbath.

20. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian,

My comments in another thread were not to suggest that a Synergist's theology does not affect his proclamation of the Gospel but that it does not always mean he is proclaiming a gospel that does not save. I have often used the phrase "happy inconsistency" when explaining how someone acts contrary to the logical nature of their belief. Call it a theological cognitive dissonance if you will. If they are consistent they would do "Y" instead of "X" but I am happy they illogically choose to do "Y". I hope that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.