1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do Christians Have an Inner Struggle with Sin or the Flesh?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Internet Theologian, Feb 6, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Paul explicitly tells us the opposite!

Phil. 3:2. Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision;
    3. for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,
    4. although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more:
    5. circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
    6. as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. (NASB, 1995)

Please notice these words in v. 6, “as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.” When Paul became saved, did not forget that he had kept the Law virtually perfectly—but he still was not without sin and he needed to be saved. He also knew that some, but not many, other Jews had an excellent testimony regarding their keeping the Law, but he was not about to let them slip through the cracks. Therefore he had written earlier in his Epistle to the Romans,

Rom. 5:12. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—
    13. for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    14. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. (NASB, 1995)

The doctrine of original sin! Even had such Jews kept the Law perfectly—they had sinned in Adam! Therefore, they were sinners in need of salvation by grace through faith.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is a farce - period

Romans 5 is not teaching guilt by association. Paul already dealt with personal guilt in Romans 1 thru 4 - because each has turned his own way

Read Romans 5:1-10
    He's moved on to those who have been justified, those who have received the Spirit, those who exult in tribulation and look forward to a resurrected body

Then compare that to the second half of Romans 8, which is a continuation of the same. In a nutshell, chapters 6 & 7 are a long string of parenthetical thought

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no biblical basis to make this claim, Monsieur. Those who passionately love God and His Christ have been born of God. See 1 John 4 for instance. You can not love God and deny the Messiah has came in the flesh. The devout Jew hates Christ, and consequently, God. They are still waiting on their 'messiah'.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Craigbythesea

No, it was not! As I noted above, Paul, according to what he himself wrote to the Philippians, l had kept the Law blamelessly. Are we to believe that upon his salvation, Paul became a wretched man (Rom. 7:24) having been sold into bondage to sin (Rom. 7:14)?

Our flesh will be with us until we die. However, Jesus had the very same flesh that we have, and although He was tempted, He did not sin. Furthermore, the Apostle Paul promised,

1 Cor. 10:13. No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (NASB, 1995)

Jesus did not tell us to try to sin less than 100 times a day; Jesus commanded us,

Matthew 5:48. Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (NRSV)

Jesus set the bar very high, and I do not believe that we should attempt to yank it down.

I have in my camp most of the Church Fathers, including all but one of those who lived in the same Hellenistic culture that Paul did as a Christian and thus understood the literary device (prosopopoeia) that Paul employed in Rom. 7:14-25); and including, among the Latin Church Fathers Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers (315-368), Ambrose, Bishop of Milan (340-397), and Augustine, Bishop of Hippo (354-430) throughout most of his Christian life. I also have in my camp the large majority of published scholars of Paul’s Epistle to the Romans who wrote in the most recent 45 years of the Church—not to mention the Holy Spirit who shared with me through the Scriptures (before my academic life) that the Apostle Paul was not advocating for Baal, but for our most precious Lord and savior Christ Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Craigbythesea

Rom. 7:4. Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. (NASB, 1995)

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antinomianism should NOT be tolerated on here.

7. Craigbythesea

May God bless you with a close friend who is a devout Jew that you may know the mind of a devout Jew.

Please stop addressing me as “Monsieur.”

8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Agreed!! Maybe God can use me to point him/her to Christ. You know? The One devout Jews deny as their Messiah. You can not love God and deny/hate Christ. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no one can come to the Father except by Him[John 14:6].

He is also the Door unto the sheep pen, too[John 10].

Sorry if that offended you. I only meant that in respect.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

The mind which is lost is at enmity with God, devout Jew or otherwise:

9What then? Are we Jewsa any better off?b No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
    11 no one understands;
    no one seeks for God.
    12All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
    no one does good,
    not even one.”
    13“Their throat is an open grave;
    they use their tongues to deceive.”
    “The venom of asps is under their lips.”
    14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
    15“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
    17and the way of peace they have not known.”
    18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

19Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20For by works of the law no human beingc will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. CBTS:

The devout Jew denies Christ came in the flesh as the Messiah. John addressed this here:

On Denying the Incarnation
    Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."[1 John 4:1-3]

This is descriptive of the devout Jews. They deny Jesus came in the flesh as their Messiah. They accuse Him of being a rabble rouser, not Messiah. They have a spirit of anti-Christ, and yet you claim they love God?

• Like Like x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's saying they love God but hate His Son. Now, if someone hates your child enough to kill them, I guess they love their father?

#71 SovereignGrace, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thing...Jews will not eat pork. God cleansed it and told Peter anything He has cleansed, do not call it impure. And yet they love God? o_O

If that is love, I would sure hate to see hatred.

13. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Sounds like inclusivism mixed with sympathetic sentimentalism. Well, it sounds like that because that is what it is. None of those terms include genuine Christian conversion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Craigbythesea

I accept your apology. May God abundantly bless you in your service to Him.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Craigbythesea,

Not at all

he thought by external obedience that he was okay, until God saved him and he saw his internal corruption.He "thought he kept the law, but learned he did not...So here he is correcting others who thought by keeping the externals they would be okay.

[/QUOTE]

Original sin, indeed...Anyone who denies original sin....is CLUELESS concerning any doctrine in scripture...mark it down and see.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Craigbythesea

None of the writers of the books of the Old Testament had any comprehension whatsoever that the Messiah would be the second person of the Trinity—they believed that the Messiah was going to be a fully human human being! Does that mean than none of the writers of the books of the Old Testament loved God? No, of course not!

When Jesus came into the world, He was not what the writers of the books of the Old Testament had portrayed Him to be—so of course most of the Jews did not accept Him as the Messiah. I know that this does not sound write to some of my readers because they have studied the Old Testament using translations of the Hebrew that were translated from a Christian rather than a Jewish perspective and that have a Messianic spin on it (that is, the translations interpret the Messianic prophesies from the viewpoint of their New Testament fulfillment). However, the Old Testament was not written by Christians; it was written by Jews for a Jewish audience and it should be translated as that Jewish audience would have understood it without the Messianic spin. The Revised Standard Version and the New Revised Standard Version are such translations. Read the “Messianic” portions of the Old Testament in these translations and you will get some idea why most of the first century Jews took Jesus to be a deceiver and a false prophet rather than the Son of God—as He truly is.

17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh lawdy! The OT and NT was written by believers of Jesus, whether it was in His future appearance(OT writers looked to their Blessed Hope{Christ}) and believers after His appearance(NT writers). All were saved, and the saved Jew(even under the OT Law) was still a Christian.

18. Craigbythesea

Is this anything but imaginative fiction? The Bible certainly does not teach this, so from where did you get these ideas?

Rom. 1:16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. (NASB, 1995)

Please notice the words “to everyone.” Please quote from the Bible where it says that anyone heard, read, or otherwise received the gospel before Jesus preached it.

19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are fracturing the bible. You are making the OT and NT into two separate books and not one harmonious book. Please stop. I now know why you were banned back in 2006. Your heretical views will not fly here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Craigbythesea

Here is the ‘heresy’ that I believe:

The Bible is composed of two distinct parts—the Old Testament (διαθήκη) and the New Testament (διαθήκη). The Old Testament (διαθήκη) concerns primarily the Covenant (διαθήκη) of Law; the New Testament (διαθήκη) concerns primarily the far better Covenant (διαθήκη) of Grace.

Heb. 8:6. But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. (NASB, 1995)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.